Service Coat Size help

Started by Phillip, December 03, 2006, 03:47:55 AM

Phillip

Well folks, the time has come for me to purchase my service coat.  What I need help with is choosing the correct size.  I've learned the hard way that civilian sizes do not directly translate to AF sizes.  >:(

My civilian blazer, which fits very well, is a 38R.  Now, what size service coat should I purchase?  I'm assuming that the correct AF size would be higher as my AF windbreaker is a size 42.

Thanks! 8)
Captain

MIKE

Are you able to go to an AAFES MCSS and try some on?
Mike Johnston

DNall

I don't know about that. Are you sure you're getting the right fit in one or the other? I wear a 40R in civilian suit & 40R Service coat also, both perfect.

CAP428

I have a 42L suit, but it is too big, so I got a 40L service coat, it fits perfect.  I've tried on some civilian suits lately, and the ones that fit me are also 40L.  So the sizes translate well for me, CAP to civilian.

Phillip

Quote from: MIKE on December 03, 2006, 04:13:56 AM
Are you able to go to an AAFES MCSS and try some on?
The nearest MCSS is 100 miles away and I don't have any other business in the area to justify the trip.   :-[  At least in the near future anyway.

Quote from: DNall on December 03, 2006, 06:06:43 AM
I don't know about that. Are you sure you're getting the right fit in one or the other?
I believe so.  Both garments fit very well.  However, there is a possibility that one of those garments may be mislabled.  Wouldn't be the first time that has happened to me.
Captain

DNall

Happens sometimes. Maybe I'm wrong, I mean I don't go out buying tons of these things, but it's been spot on between the two for me. I'm pretty sure they have an exchange policy. You could split the difference with a 40R or go the high side with a 42 & you can always trade out sizes. Check the details on that & confirm it on the phone when you're placing the order, but I'm pretty sure you can get it done.

Monty

Quote from: Phillip on December 03, 2006, 03:47:55 AM
Well folks, the time has come for me to purchase my service coat.  What I need help with is choosing the correct size.  I've learned the hard way that civilian sizes do not directly translate to AF sizes.  >:(

My civilian blazer, which fits very well, is a 38R.  Now, what size service coat should I purchase?  I'm assuming that the correct AF size would be higher as my AF windbreaker is a size 42.

Thanks! 8)

I'm a 38R also....and at least in my experience, both the "Men's Warehouse" 38R and the Air Force's 38R are the same.

SJFedor

Order the size you normally wear from wherever you can get it (AAFES, Hock, wherever), and just make sure there's a decent return policy in case it's way off. Usually if it's small things (sleeves just a little too long/short, chest a little too big) you can get that handled at the local tailor. Just make sure they're a decent tailor that knows what they're doing, and not the local mom and pop shop who will put cuffs on your blues pants.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

ELTHunter

My question is, why buy a service coat?  For almost all CAP functions, the blue service shirt/tie/pants comb is acceptable.
Maj. Tim Waddell, CAP
SER-TN-170
Deputy Commander of Cadets
Emergency Services Officer

Monty

Quote from: ELThunter on December 04, 2006, 01:30:21 AM
My question is, why buy a service coat?  For almost all CAP functions, the blue service shirt/tie/pants comb is acceptable.

Why send your car through the carwash if its gonna get dirty later on, anyway?

Some folks just want to get one.....and that's as good a reason as any.

Phillip

Quote from: ELThunter on December 04, 2006, 01:30:21 AM
why buy a service coat?
Simply, I want to be like everyone else in my squadron.  :D  Seriously though, I had always planned to purchase one, and even though I could get by with the shirt/tie/pants combo, I want to go that extra step, as my wallet allows of course.

I now feel a little less anxious about purchasing the correct size.  Thanks to all who posted.    :)
Captain

DNall

Incidentally, I've got my last couple suits at mens warehouse also, so if you got one of those around or really any tailor to do some good measurements I'd recommend that.

And, there are a lot of times in CAP where a service coat would be the appropriate dress, but because few people have them it gets casual'd down, and that's not always appropriate either.

BillB

Check eBay, last time I looked there were 5 or 6 current style service coats all less than $50

I just looked and there are only two NCO (without epaulets) current style service coats listed. Plus some obsolete service coats
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104