Civil Air Patrol Hot Air Balloon Picture(?!)

Started by JC004, June 19, 2010, 07:35:10 PM

JC004

When you search for pictures of the Civil Air Patrol hot air balloon on Google image search, the following comes up:

Coincidence? 

Also, does anybody actually have pictures of them?

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

whatevah

here are two of my own shots from a few years ago.  2005 I think. 

Jerry Horn
CAPTalk Co-Admin

JC004

Sweet. Thanks. My connection was having issues and I was getting frustrated. Took like 10 minutes to post the topic too. :-(

SarDragon

Hey, I know someone in bottom the picture.  :)
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

JC004

Yay!  I can post again.  Had to reply from my phone earlier.

So I like the Darth Vader balloon and I am thinking that CAP could replace the current balloons with a Darth Vader and a Cadet Ken.

Does anyone know how many we have or where they are right now?

Eclipse

The one in my pics is assigned to ILWG and was at Johnson last week.

"That Others May Zoom"

Capt_Redfox30

This is the link that Eclipse was talking about.  The balloon pics are near the bottom of the page. 
http://www.ilgp1.org/2010-jfa.htm
Kirk Thirtyacre, Lt Col, CAP
(Acting) Group Commander
Group 3 HQ

JC004

Yikes.  That's a lot of pictures.  You need a Coppermine or somethin'. 

CadetProgramGuy

Is there only 1 CAP balloon?  For some reason I thought there were 2.

Al Sayre

Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

davidsinn

Quote from: CadetProgramGuy on June 20, 2010, 05:42:52 AM
Is there only 1 CAP balloon?  For some reason I thought there were 2.

Looks like we have N1658A and N1981D So we only have two. Interestingly enough according to the database still have some Pipers and Aeroncas and even a Fairchild.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Al Sayre

Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
GRW #2787

JC004

I'm asking.  I don't know the answer.  For all I know, the other two could be privately owned or were disposed of...

CadetProgramGuy

Ok, so question begs to be asked.....what can a member do to get flight time in the CAP balloon, like for an add on rating?

Eclipse

In my wing, anyway, you generally have to participate in the flight academy, or one of the few times when it goes to a balloon show.

They are a PITA for airshows - while once inflated they look amazing and attract a lot of attention, they require a minimum 100ft radius restricted area to set them up, and can only be inflated in 5 knot or less winds.

They also cant fly - only being allowed for tethered lift (which is a challenge at most airports), and only CAP members can get in them.

"That Others May Zoom"

CadetProgramGuy

We have the National Balloon Classic in Indianola, Ia.  I would love to have the Balloon set up for static display, possibly fly some of the cadets, but I do not know how to go about getting it here.

I know Wing DO, Wing CC are involved, but after that.  Would love to recruit a CFI balloonist and take lessons to fly it here, but with 2 in the nation, i think that is wishful thinking.

Might just have to go to Illinois Wing.

Eclipse

I can never remember who the balloon guys are, but if you contact the Wing CV, I'm sure he could connect you.

I'd be willing to bet they would love another place to use it.

"That Others May Zoom"

CadetProgramGuy

Al Sayre

Quote from: CadetProgramGuy on June 21, 2010, 03:34:59 AM
Ok, so question begs to be asked.....what can a member do to get flight time in the CAP balloon, like for an add on rating?

Come to Jackson MS, pay for the fuel, pray for the weather.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
GRW #2787

CadetProgramGuy

Ah, rather not, last time I was there I broke the axle on the semi I was driving.  Cost me arm and a leg.

Bad Juju in that part fo the world....:)

JC004

BillB

Get rid of the Darth Vader balloon and get a Tony Pine** balloon. Ironic, a HOT AIR Balloon.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104