eServices, WMIRS, etc?

Started by SunDog, May 18, 2010, 04:46:01 AM

Titan 25

Quote from: davidsinn on November 18, 2010, 08:56:46 PM
Quote from: ddriskill083 on November 18, 2010, 08:46:20 PM

OH! and wouldn't it be awesome if eservices looked like gocivilairpatrol.com?

Bite your tongue ;D Gocivilairpatrol.com is an awful eyesore and is barely usable. I prefer the clean look and feel of eServices.

WELL.... I think it's a legit site!! ;D  Kind of wish we would go back to cap.gov though. Just a little bit.
C/2d Lt Daniel K. Driskill
Flt. Commander
PHANTOM SQUADRONUTAH WING
MEMBER OF THE 2010 NATIONAL CHAMPION ROCKY MOUNTAIN REGION DRILL TEAM!!

a2capt

Quote from: ddriskill083 on November 18, 2010, 08:46:20 PMOH! and wouldn't it be awesome if eservices looked like gocivilairpatrol.com?
ZOMG! Please. No. eServices is just fine, if they would quit playing with the CSS and jacking up the font sizes it would even be better.  Concentrate on consistency and functionality, quit changing the names of menu options, etc.

But please, don't give them any ideas. The CMS behind gocivilairpatrol.com is the most craptastic example of how to do it, ever.

SunDog

Noting the positive comments, I went back to eServices, in case something magic had happened in the last few months; maybe you folks have just gotten used to it?

Put yourself in the place of a new member - unknown acronyms, unclear relationships between sections, scattered resources.  But it's probably not worth the time to reflect on it any further.

If you happen to be a pilot, you might compare eServices to AOPA's web site; compare search features, ease of navigation, organization of content. There is a striking contrast. As an IT guy, I would be reluctant to be associated with eServices. . .

But, each to his own. . .if it's serving the purpose, and not driving too many folks away, a 60% solution is better than none at all.

arajca

It's not that everyone is happy with Eservices. It's that gocivilairpatrol.com is so bad. Most companies have external and internal websites. The external ones have all the glamour and glitz, while the internal ones are designed more for function. I have a moderately fast computer with a high speed internet connection and gocivilairpatrol.com is still slow. It reflects a trend I've seen in company public sites - a negative trend. Too much crap. You need to grab the first time visitors attention, but putting too much on the front page slows the page down and turns off the visitor.

spacecommand

You just learn the system and acronyms like you learn anything else.  It might be slow at first but then you learn the ropes.