Smart Phone flight release app

Started by Tubacap, May 15, 2010, 08:49:27 PM

Tubacap

Does anyone know if there has been any progress in the smart phone flight release app?
William Schlosser, Major CAP
NER-PA-001

Eeyore

On my iPhone, when I click on the email request for a flight release, it takes me to a mobile page to go through the flight release checklist and approval. It's great compared to navigating the full web version of the flight release program on my phone.

Thanks NHQ, now make the rest of CAP online mobile friendly.

JC004

Quote from: edmo1 on May 16, 2010, 05:51:33 AM

Don't hold your breath.  If I have anything to do with it, though, it will become so...

davidsinn

Quote from: edmo1 on May 16, 2010, 05:51:33 AM

Keep dreaming. I asked them to move the view link in the member search module to the left side, by the name, so it was visible on my phone without panning to the right and they said it wasn't possible.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

a2capt

Ya know, a lot of that "can't do" stuff is because they know it can be done, but if they do it, they erode all the "voodoo" they have built up justifying why it costs $11tybillion dollars to make one change when in reality it's moving something on a template or at worse, moving a line in a static file.

But actually doing it would then bring up a lot of "well, you did that, why can't you do this, you said this wasn't possible, too."

davidsinn

Quote from: a2capt on May 16, 2010, 05:03:46 PM
Ya know, a lot of that "can't do" stuff is because they know it can be done, but if they do it, they erode all the "voodoo" they have built up justifying why it costs $11tybillion dollars to make one change when in reality it's moving something on a template or at worse, moving a line in a static file.

But actually doing it would then bring up a lot of "well, you did that, why can't you do this, you said this wasn't possible, too."

That's what I figured. However they opened a ticket and it took better than a week to get back to me saying it couldn't be done.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

a2capt

That it's even on the page, means it can be done. It may be a different query that pulls it, and that data may not be available in that scope, that still doesn't mean it can't be done eventually.  the rumor mill has it that someone got $5K for that CSS set on eServices, over all I've been unthrilled with it myself as all it did was "waste" more screen space because everything got needlessly bigger.

If a few people can't see it, they do have functions on the browser to make *everything text* bigger. I highly doubt these people are not familiar with the function, as I'm even much much more convinced they don't get their way on every site in cyberspace.

Another possible case of the majority may rule, but the minority gets their way, anyway.

Of course, the really sad thing is it's not all that hard to apply a different stylesheet to a request based on the environment, specifically, the browser type, and it doesn't effect the back end one bit. The stylesheet could have the two menu columns side by side and the content from the middle, below it.  Figuring on a mobile device you are probably going in for a specific item and that would make it easier to drill to it. No need to display news, favorites, free AVG downloads, etc.

davidsinn

Quote from: a2capt on May 16, 2010, 05:51:07 PM
That it's even on the page, means it can be done. It may be a different query that pulls it, and that data may not be available in that scope, that still doesn't mean it can't be done eventually.  the rumor mill has it that someone got $5K for that CSS set on eServices, over all I've been unthrilled with it myself as all it did was "waste" more screen space because everything got needlessly bigger.

If a few people can't see it, they do have functions on the browser to make *everything text* bigger. I highly doubt these people are not familiar with the function, as I'm even much much more convinced they don't get their way on every site in cyberspace.

Another possible case of the majority may rule, but the minority gets their way, anyway.

Of course, the really sad thing is it's not all that hard to apply a different stylesheet to a request based on the environment, specifically, the browser type, and it doesn't effect the back end one bit. The stylesheet could have the two menu columns side by side and the content from the middle, below it.  Figuring on a mobile device you are probably going in for a specific item and that would make it easier to drill to it. No need to display news, favorites, free AVG downloads, etc.

It's this screen. All I wanted was the view link by the name. On my phone I can read the entire thing but to click the link I have to zoom in and then I lose the name. It makes more sense to have the link by the name.

Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

a2capt

Ahhhh.. that screen.

You know what?

I steadfastly, absolutely, refuse to believe that can't be placed over there by the left.

No friggen way. By the very nature of the query and the array at which that table is drawn with, if they can't move that without tipping over the house of cards,  there is something royally wrong in the palace.

Thats just ridiculous.

I  moved TWO <td> entries. If they are going to tell you they can't do that, in the template, someone is smoking CMS ganja weed.

JC004

It is so ridiculously easy to detect a mobile phone and present a mobile CSS style sheet.  I almost always build a mobile version of sites for clients now.  Even starting to do special versions for touch screens like iphone/ipod touch.

davidsinn

Quote from: a2capt on May 16, 2010, 07:10:23 PM
Ahhhh.. that screen.

You know what?

I steadfastly, absolutely, refuse to believe that can't be placed over there by the left.

No friggen way. By the very nature of the query and the array at which that table is drawn with, if they can't move that without tipping over the house of cards,  there is something royally wrong in the palace.

Thats just ridiculous.

I  moved TWO <td> entries. If they are going to tell you they can't do that, in the template, someone is smoking CMS ganja weed.

Thing is it got escalated at least twice and went through two or three people before I was told it wasn't doable.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Robborsari

Maybe if you requested to make the name a link to the same thing you would have better luck.  That way they would not have to change any columns or anything, just add the anchor to the name. -R-
Lt Col Rob Borsari<br  / Wing DO
SER-TN-087

dwb

Is it not doable for technical reasons?  Or financial reasons?

Just because it's possible to just rearrange the <td> tags, doesn't mean they're going to task the in-house IT people to do it (they might be overworked already), nor will they pay $10k to have an outside vendor come in and make a five second change, nor will they accept the risk of having a CAP volunteer change it when they're likely to know the least about the underlying code.

Or they're blowing you off, which is also a possibility.

davidsinn

Quote from: dwb on May 17, 2010, 01:36:03 PM
Is it not doable for technical reasons?  Or financial reasons?

Just because it's possible to just rearrange the <td> tags, doesn't mean they're going to task the in-house IT people to do it (they might be overworked already), nor will they pay $10k to have an outside vendor come in and make a five second change, nor will they accept the risk of having a CAP volunteer change it when they're likely to know the least about the underlying code.

Or they're blowing you off, which is also a possibility.

From what A2 was saying it probably took longer to blow me off then to get it done.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

a2capt

I think it's more like after sending it to two, maybe three, different directions, and getting a "d'oh" .. or "Gee, Wally.. I don't know", whoever was diligently looking for an answer, said screw it.

Because once again, I will not believe that it can not be done.

Unless they are using the most absolute wickedest never been done before, ever, back end - it's a database, it's a query, and it comes in, in an array.

But that they were able to slide that rumored $5K CSS on to it..

Given the proper access I'd do it for free, even.

Eeyore

Quote from: a2capt on May 17, 2010, 02:32:36 PM
Given the proper access I'd do it for free, even.

There are plenty of things CAP could get done just be asking the volunteers instead of paying some contractor a ridiculous amount of cash.

Heck, one of the guys in my area was so fed up with the lack of high quality media for radio or TV broadcast that he recorded a radio commercial himself (he's a radio DJ in real life). It sure was a heck of a lot better than the stuff NHQ makes available online. Of course they wanted to then take his recordings and make them available online, but without a doubt, they will be of such low quality that it can't be broadcast.

Larry Mangum

The reason, they will not move it, as that application on thr right side of eservices are restricted applications as defined by duty position or by WSA granted permissions. Application on the left are for the general user.
Larry Mangum, Lt Col CAP
DCS, Operations
SWR-SWR-001

a2capt

This has nothing to do with that.

it's a column, on a table. That what is provided by that link is viewable by the mere fact that the query returned the data on the table row, itself.

..and even moving that what you speak of, for the sake of navigational ease on a view limited device would still not effect the WSA aspect of it one bit.

Larry Mangum

Quote from: a2capt on May 17, 2010, 05:04:09 PM
This has nothing to do with that.

it's a column, on a table. That what is provided by that link is viewable by the mere fact that the query returned the data on the table row, itself.

..and even moving that what you speak of, for the sake of navigational ease on a view limited device would still not effect the WSA aspect of it one bit.

And you would be wrong as it would be a violation of their architechure to do so.  Is it a table that could be rearranged, probably, but it would violate good coding practices to add a restricted application to the list of non restricted applications..
Larry Mangum, Lt Col CAP
DCS, Operations
SWR-SWR-001

a2capt

Where did I say intermingle the lists?
Quote from: mysefThe stylesheet could have the two menu columns side by side and the content from the middle, below it.
Side by side is hardly combined. Just loosing the page filler in the middle. It would make both  navigation far simpler on a mobile platform, and using the chosen application as that application, too would be left justified once loaded, below the navigation.

A thought spurred by the original post, nothing more, nothing less.

..and besides, if the user has no access to the particular item, then the particular item does not show up on a list. So even if they were on the same table, that argument is moot. If it's that much of a worry, "Restricted Apps" makes a nice separating line.

No 'violation', no confusion. If you have no WSA granted access, you see nothing except an empty box anyway.

SarDragon

Larry, you're screwin' up the fruit basket, big time. (Apples & oranges)

What our illustrious a2capt is talking about is on the image he posted. Look below where it sez 'Total Senior Members 22'.

There's a row of column headings. The first one, 'Record', shows up all the way to the right in the current screen in eServices. In the image, it's been moved to the left side, for ease of access on a narrow screen.

Make more sense, now?
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret