Main Menu

ABUs

Started by Survivor, May 13, 2010, 03:44:38 AM

JC004

OK, we will just delete that first part and say it was a typo.  A better start would be "I have been on several SAR missions," "I read this brochure that says we do SAR," or even "I have a SAR ribbon."  Then it doesn't sound like you are using a ribbon for a single action as basis of knowledge of our missions. 

It has caused me much trouble.  People always bugged me about it, especially WIWAC, thinking it was unauthorized.  I deal with the trauma of being ganged up on by BIG older cadets and senior members by venting about the ribbon and blaming FW as my scapegoat because he authorized it.

manfredvonrichthofen

Eclipse,
I really don't mean to create an enemy with you or anyone else. I am sorry if I have upset or offended you. I just really love this organization, and would hate to see it be forgotten because of any changes to the uniform.  Again I am sorry if I have offended you.

Eclipse

Quote from: robert.killion on May 24, 2010, 05:50:51 AM
Eclipse,
I really don't mean to create an enemy with you or anyone else. I am sorry if I have upset or offended you. I just really love this organization, and would hate to see it be forgotten because of any changes to the uniform.  Again I am sorry if I have offended you.

Nothing even close - as noted via PM, just had some questions, none of which you owed to me and which you answered anyway.

"That Others May Zoom"

manfredvonrichthofen

I don't understand, did I answer or not? I just hate to think that I might have made anyone mad or make anyone think of me as an angry liar.

Eclipse

Yes - we're cool - I meant I'm no one you need to care about and you answered my questions anyway. 

"That Others May Zoom"

RiverAux

QuoteCAP is inexpensive when compared to say the National Guard but we are still expensive to most local governments.
Not inexpensive, we're free if its an AFAM and so far I've never heard of a local request for an AFAM for CAP use in SAR being turned down in my wing. Small disaster missions are another story. 

Hawk200

Quote from: RiverAux on May 24, 2010, 07:22:30 PM
QuoteCAP is inexpensive when compared to say the National Guard but we are still expensive to most local governments.
Not inexpensive, we're free if its an AFAM and so far I've never heard of a local request for an AFAM for CAP use in SAR being turned down in my wing. Small disaster missions are another story.
We're still cheaper on that account. For the California Northridge quake back in '94, the Wing presented a bill to LA for about $70 grand. It was estimated that it would have been well over a million for paid agencies to perform the same mission.

Red Cross picked up the tab for accomodations (which wasn't every day, sometimes we bunked at wing headquarters), and a local VFW fed us (we left good tips). When you consider some of those arrangements, it was pretty inexpensive.

Eclipse

Quote from: RiverAux on May 24, 2010, 07:22:30 PM

The DR is my sticking point - we sell that as a service, though its almost never approved, sometimes only because of the order of making the calls.  We should have a mission symbol that allows for local funding but AFAM status for FECA and liability coverage.

"That Others May Zoom"

Al Sayre

We do, it's called a 'B' Mission.  We're flying one on a regular basis in MS.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

Eclipse

Quote from: Al Sayre on May 24, 2010, 09:11:09 PM
We do, it's called a 'B' Mission.  We're flying one on a regular basis in MS.

Agreed - at least as far as the text is concerned, but good luck getting one approved for your average "throw sandbags" missions.
At least in my AOR we have not been successful, even for major efforts, and for those support 3 and 4-letter agencies. 

Its entirely possible we are being too fast on the trigger and too anxious to expend corporate funds just to get the work.  Maybe with the renewed emphasis on flying B12's instead of C's for aircrew proficiency the NOC will approve more B's for local DR.

"That Others May Zoom"

MIKE

I think this one is done.
Mike Johnston