Main Menu

CAP wiki

Started by mdickinson, November 18, 2006, 01:16:29 AM

mdickinson

Hi,

It seems to me a wiki (reader-editable encyclopedic database, similar to Wikipedia) would be an ideal way to collect and exchange information useful to CAP members.  I have a feeling I'm not the first person to think of this, though.

- I looked on the Cadetstuff web site and found that they have a wiki already at http://wiki.cadetstuff.org/ - but it appears to be focused on cadet topics only.

- I see that someone, somewhere, has reserved the domain " capwiki.org " - presumably that's a CAP member or unit that intends to put up a wiki there.

Question: is there already a CAP related wiki out there that is not exclusively cadet-focused? And if not, should I put one up or would that be likely to cause some sort of trouble/headache due to CAP internet policy?  I suppose it would be less of an issue if it were hosted by / sponsored by a unit?

Thanks for your input,
Malcolm

shorning

There was a pretty good one started on CivlAirPortal before the lights went dark.

Pylon

Quote from: shorning on November 18, 2006, 01:19:30 AM
There was a pretty good one started on CivlAirPortal before the lights went dark.

There also used to be a good start on one at SquadronCommand, but it has since been removed apparently.  *shrug*   :P

Quote from: mdickinson on November 18, 2006, 01:16:29 AM
Question: is there already a CAP related wiki out there that is not exclusively cadet-focused? And if not, should I put one up or would that be likely to cause some sort of trouble/headache due to CAP internet policy?  I suppose it would be less of an issue if it were hosted by / sponsored by a unit?

Thanks for your input,
Malcolm

It wouldn't be an issue if you opened one, as far as CAP regulations go.  This website, CadetStuff, and many other sites out there are not sponsored by nor hosted by a unit.  Unofficial sites serve as some of the most active and informative websites out there for CAP members.  Feel free to do so, but just understand it comes with a time commitment.  At least two general CAP wikis have already been started and since closed. 
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

mdickinson

That's good to know. I'll probably put mine up and see if it flies.

There is a lot of good info on the one at http://wiki.cadetstuff.org , but it's cadet information only. Seems to me the general membership would be best served by having one wiki that could contain the outpouring of the minds of all the knowledgeable members out there, both cadet and senior.

Since www.capwiki.org is taken, does anyone have any good ideas on a domain name to hold the thing? i suppose ".info" might be appropriate...

Malcolm

Pylon

Quote from: mdickinson on November 18, 2006, 01:51:47 AM
That's good to know. I'll probably put mine up and see if it flies.

There is a lot of good info on the one at http://wiki.cadetstuff.org , but it's cadet information only. Seems to me the general membership would be best served by having one wiki that could contain the outpouring of the minds of all the knowledgeable members out there, both cadet and senior.

Since www.capwiki.org is taken, does anyone have any good ideas on a domain name to hold the thing? i suppose ".info" might be appropriate...

Malcolm

WikiCAP (.com, .org, .net). 

Did you check all the TLD's for CAPwiki?  (.net?  .com?)   

TDHenderson

pixelwonk

Or: CAPedia.org

Incidentally, CAPortal never had a wiki.  We had talked about it, and I played with an install, but it was never filled with content, let alone rolled out to the public.

The other wikis out there suffer from a common problem: The online CAP community does not seem big enough to support them.  Sure, there are a lot of us out here, but like any CAP forum, many lurk.  Some post and few post regularly.  It would be those few to be counted upon to populate the wiki with content.  Not exactly a recipe for success.

The CAP Knowledgebase, even with it's faults, is still the best resource we have for quick answers.

I'd love to eat crow on this subject, because I'd like to see a Wiki thrive. Heck, I'd even help out wherever I can.  Host it, help with the backend stuff... whatever. 

Folks need to step up though in a big way to make it work.

Lancer

Quote from: tedda on November 18, 2006, 04:20:00 AM

Amen, Tedda.

Oh, and CAPinfo.us would work too. :-)

Pylon

Or: CAPedia.org

Incidentally, CAPortal never had a wiki.  We had talked about it, and I played with an install, but it was never filled with content, let alone rolled out to the public.

The other wikis out there suffer from a common problem: The online CAP community does not seem big enough to support them.  Sure, there are a lot of us out here, but like any CAP forum, many lurk.  Some post and few post regularly.  It would be those few to be counted upon to populate the wiki with content.  Not exactly a recipe for success.

The CAP Knowledgebase, even with it's faults, is still the best resource we have for quick answers.

I'd love to eat crow on this subject, because I'd like to see a Wiki thrive. Heck, I'd even help out wherever I can.  Host it, help with the backend stuff... whatever. 

I believe that was the issue with the SquadronCommand wiki; it (like the rest of their site, save for SIMS-related stuff) became less and less trafficked and participation in the Wiki was way down.  Even the CadetStuff wiki experienced a surge when it was first released, and has pretty much remained largely static for the better part of the last year or so.

Tedd's right -- it takes people (not just a person) to step up big time and commit to adding worthwhile content.  That takes a lot of work, a lot of time, and a lot of commitment.  CAP might have enough members to warrant a Wiki, but I don't know if we have enough members, who are online and who'd contribute to a wiki in their spare time.

Long-term, a CAP wiki would be a wonderful reference, sure.  Just understand it will take time, and plenty of push from the community to get the level of participation you'll want.  Don't let us discourage, of course, just know what you're getting into.   ;)

shorning

Incidentally, CAPortal never had a wiki. 

So what am I thinking of I wonder... :-\

SarDragon

Quote from: shorning on November 18, 2006, 04:30:56 AM

"Wonder, wonder, who-be-doo-oo-who, who wrote the book of _____"

:o
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

shorning

Quote from: SarDragon on November 18, 2006, 08:17:08 AM
Quote from: shorning on November 18, 2006, 04:30:56 AM

"Wonder, wonder, who-be-doo-oo-who, who wrote the book of _____"

:o

thefischNX01

There's a CAPWiki that's starting to shape up at [Link Redacted]

Still a lotta work to be done with it, though
Capt. Colin Fischer, CAP
Deputy Commander for Cadets
Easton Composite Sqdn
Maryland Wing
http://whats-a-flight-officer.blogspot.com/

mdickinson

Moved it to www.capwiki.net

Any help would be appreciated - I'd like to build this into a really complete resource.

All it will take is for everyone out there to add an article or two...

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

dwb

Way to provide constructive feedback, bubby...

Eclipse

I am constantly frustrated by the amount of time people spend re-inventing the wheel.

I would challenge anyone to show me what could be put together in a Wiki that doesn't already exist, authoritatively, and more current, on NHQ's site, or the Knowledgebase.

The last thing we need is another excuse for not being current "well, I read it on the wiki, and it said..."

"That Others May Zoom"

shorning

Quote from: Eclipse on November 21, 2006, 07:23:15 PM
I am constantly frustrated by the amount of time people spend re-inventing the wheel.

I would challenge anyone to show me what could be put together in a Wiki that doesn't already exist, authoritatively, and more current, on NHQ's site, or the Knowledgebase.

The last thing we need is another excuse for not being current "well, I read it on the wiki, and it said..."

Do you know how much time you wasted re-typing all that?!?  You've said it before.  Why recreate it?  You could just have linked to it.

dwb

Quote from: Eclipse on November 21, 2006, 07:23:15 PMI would challenge anyone to show me what could be put together in a Wiki that doesn't already exist, authoritatively, and more current, on NHQ's site, or the Knowledgebase.

The Knowledgebase is crap.  I wrote more sophisticated search algorithms in college than the one used on that site.  Besides, the Knowledgebase is not your chain of command, and it's not a published regulation, so it's not an authoritative source.

To answer your question: what value could a Wiki add?  It adds all those things about CAP that aren't covered in the regulations -- traditions, best practices (I abhor that phrase), tips on getting something started, editorials, member-created content such as recruiting posters, web site templates (my pet peeve), staff position guidelines beyond the bare minimum in the 20-1, class outlines, study guides, ES training materials, etc.

The CadetStuff Wiki is a great example of this, but it is restricted to just cadet programs, and is supposed to contain more than just CAP stuff.  Just as CAP Talk is not a redundant CadetStuff, the CAP Wiki can be something different and just as valuable as other sources.