NEC approves GT uniform requirement

Started by mynetdude, May 09, 2010, 06:04:53 PM

PHall

The part about the Sheriff of Each County is responsible for all Search and Rescue activities in their county is in the California State Constitution.

JC004

Quote from: PHall on May 10, 2010, 10:46:01 PM
The part about the Sheriff of Each County is responsible for all Search and Rescue activities in their county is in the California State Constitution.

That seems excessive.

heliodoc

^^^
Excessive????

Pretty much in every State Constitution or County statute.......

RiverAux

Quote from: JC004 on May 11, 2010, 12:29:35 AM
Quote from: PHall on May 10, 2010, 10:46:01 PM

That seems excessive.
I'd bet money that SAR isn't specifically mentioned in any state constitution, but most probably have some sort of generic language about the duties of sheriffs in regards to emergencies of various kinds that probably include SAR. 

JC004

Quote from: heliodoc on May 11, 2010, 01:18:41 AM
^^^
Excessive????

Pretty much in every State Constitution or County statute.......

SAR responsibility specifically is in just about every state constitution?  I'm not an expert on state constitutions and most of the state constitutions where I come from date back to colonial times (with some new constitutions or amendments over time) and are pretty straightforward. 

County statute is different.  Or whatever you call it wherever.  I don't think counties can have statutes in Pennsylvania.  They're ordinances. 

If it's in a county ____ (whatever they're called in a particular place) or state statute, that's one thing, but in the framework of the state's government for SAR specifically...that seems excessive.  Unless he just means the underlying principle or something like that.  I don't know that I've ever looked at the CA Constitution, but have read those of the 13 original states (was studying the influences back and forth between the states' constitutions and US Constitution, as well as working on something to prove a law professor wrong cuz he insisted and I knew that I was right.)   >:D

Quote from: RiverAux on May 11, 2010, 01:35:00 AM
I'd bet money that SAR isn't specifically mentioned in any state constitution, but most probably have some sort of generic language about the duties of sheriffs in regards to emergencies of various kinds that probably include SAR.

Sure not our sheriffs.  They're pretty much powerless here.  I know that's much different elsewhere, though.  We don't do the cities, then everything else is county thing.  We have cities, townships and boroughs (and like two official towns).  There's this whole Home Rule thing...our laws are a little different than a lot of places.  If you're in PA and a sheriff (deputy) is behind you, no worries, he can't pull you over, but he can sell your house at tax sale or foreclosure.  He can also issue your gun permit and transport your to/from prison/court/community service.  Thaaaat's about it.

JohnKachenmeister

Frankly, I am disgusted, but not surprised, that CA does not permit the wear of the uniform of the United States on their missions.  After all, Code Pink is still screaming in front of the Marine recruiting offices out there, and still supported by Pelosi and all those other CA politicians.

I am disgusted AND surprised that CAP surrendered the right to wear the US Air Force uniform without a fight.

This all seems to make the Reconquista a lot easier. 
Another former CAP officer

JayT

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on May 13, 2010, 01:24:55 AM
Frankly, I am disgusted, but not surprised, that CA does not permit the wear of the uniform of the United States on their missions.  After all, Code Pink is still screaming in front of the Marine recruiting offices out there, and still supported by Pelosi and all those other CA politicians.

I am disgusted AND surprised that CAP surrendered the right to wear the US Air Force uniform without a fight.

What does the 'uniform of the United States' have to do with a legitimate safety concerns by local shrieffs agenies? Are the deputies anti American? What does Code Pink and the Marine Corps have to do with Civil Air Patrol's mission?

Out here, volunteer firemen at car accidents have to wear a safety vest over their gear. There was some grumbling about it, but the rules were made and have to be followed.

"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

PHall

Quote from: JThemann on May 13, 2010, 02:58:03 AM
Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on May 13, 2010, 01:24:55 AM

What does the 'uniform of the United States' have to do with a legitimate safety concerns by local shrieffs agenies? Are the deputies anti American? What does Code Pink and the Marine Corps have to do with Civil Air Patrol's mission?

Out here, volunteer firemen at car accidents have to wear a safety vest over their gear. There was some grumbling about it, but the rules were made and have to be followed.

It's just "California Bashing". Some folks, usually from the East Coast, take great pleasure in doing it whenever they can.
We usually ignore it and consider the source.

Hawk200

Quote from: JThemann on May 13, 2010, 02:58:03 AM

What legitimate concern is there? Especially considering that volunteer fireman only need a vest, where CAP is wearing a complete uniform. I can accept the state requiring a vest; but mandating, or even strongly suggesting, a new uniform is crap.

On the other hand, the wing could want it for the sake of being different. Wouldn't surprise me in the least. They've had their own policies before on things that were strange.

Hawk200

Quote from: PHall on May 13, 2010, 04:04:49 AM
It's just "California Bashing". Some folks, usually from the East Coast, take great pleasure in doing it whenever they can.
And others consider the source of a knee jerk defense, as well. Works both ways.

PHall

Quote from: Hawk200 on May 13, 2010, 04:14:57 AM
Quote from: PHall on May 13, 2010, 04:04:49 AM
And others consider the source of a knee jerk defense, as well. Works both ways.

Like I said, we usually just ignore it.

RiverAux

The way the document attached to the first post in this thread is written it seems like the new "safety" uniform will be for all of CAP rather than just the CA Wing item discussed extensively in another thread.  Has anyone gotten any credible specific clarifying information on this yet? 

JohnKachenmeister

Call it California Bashing if you like, but CA is a very anti-military state.

the "Legitimate safety concerns" are nonsense.

CA people, at least from what I can see and from what I did see when I was stationed out there in the 60's, just don't like military folk.

At least not American military folk.

JayT

So the Shrieffs, emergency management coordinators, and other government officals who required this are anti military?

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on May 13, 2010, 08:53:53 PM

CA people, at least from what I can see and from what I did see when I was stationed out there in the 60's, just don't like military folk.

"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

JohnKachenmeister

bosshawk

Kach: let me assure you that the CA attitude of the 60s has very little to do with the CA attitude of today, regarding things military.  The vast majority of the military bases in CA have long been closed and turned over to the civilians.

The uniform in question, one lousy orange shirt, has been used by CAP GT folks working in multi-agency ops for as long as I can remember.  We have a Wing CC who demands orders to cover everything: I suspect that someone on the wing staff was told to go to CALEMA and get the orange shirt thing straightened out.  The result was the Region CC going to the NEC(of which he is a member) and getting it made a mandatory uniform item.  I seem to recall that there is a CAWG Supplement to 39-1 which specifies this orange shirt.  Like most things, it is also very confusing about other uniform combinations to be used by GT folks. 
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

JohnKachenmeister

OK, if you say so.  I got spit at coming out of the gate at Travis AFB in April, 1970, and I see Code Pink is still spitting on Marines out there.

In Florida we wear the USAF uniform with CAP insignia, and we do so proudly.  For hi-viz, we put on orange vests.  There is no "Safety" issue.  I see this as simply the 60's radicals grown up and pretending they know how to run a state, and the 60's radicals do not like the military.

billford1

If there is a standard that should be considered for a Ground Team Uniform my opinion is that everyone should be in the same uniform.

JayT

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on May 13, 2010, 11:12:55 PM
OK, if you say so.  I got spit at coming out of the gate at Travis AFB in April, 1970, and I see Code Pink is still spitting on Marines out there.

In Florida we wear the USAF uniform with CAP insignia, and we do so proudly.  For hi-viz, we put on orange vests.  There is no "Safety" issue.  I see this as simply the 60's radicals grown up and pretending they know how to run a state, and the 60's radicals do not like the military.

Do you have any proof of that at all?

SarDragon

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on May 13, 2010, 08:53:53 PM

Well, as a recent resident of CA, I have to strongly disagree. There might be folks in the SF Bay area with that kind of attitude, but it's essentially non-existent down in my area - San Diego. We have the largest Naval presence on the west coast, and perhaps largest military presence. There are at least ten military installations of varying size in SD County, and an AD/Retired population numbering in the tens of thousands.

One of the most popular tourist attractions in the city is the USS Midway Aircraft Carrier Museum. I can get a military discount at many stores and shops in the area.If all the military dollars and people disappeared from SD County, it would collapse.

So don't paint the whole state with that anti-military brush. It's just not true.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret