Specialty Track Approval

Started by Eclipse, April 21, 2010, 03:13:40 PM

a2capt

Yup, no 'form', just notes on the MML in red, mailed to NHQ and then it eventually appeared.

Now, it's eServices and entered by the CC or PD officer. (or other designee)

Hawk200

Quote from: RiverAux on May 23, 2010, 08:35:22 PM
Am I just spazzing out, but I thought there was a form to be filled out when requesting advancement in a specialty track (beyond turning in the page from the CAPP), but none seem to be appropriate.  Whats the current deal on this (obviously I haven't done much advancing lately).
A Form 24 "APPLICATION FOR SENIOR MEMBER PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT AWARDS" exists. But there isn't one specifically for specialty track advancement.

Camas

Am I just spazzing out, but I thought there was a form to be filled out when requesting advancement in a specialty track (beyond turning in the page from the CAPP), but none seem to be appropriate.  Whats the current deal on this (obviously I haven't done much advancing lately).
Most, if not all, of the specialty track guides (CAPP 200 series) have a worksheet in the back. A member could fill that out, present that to his or her commander and then have that approved in eservices. It wouldn't hurt to include the unit PDO in this process.

Eclipse

Quote from: Camas on May 28, 2010, 07:15:03 PM
Most, if not all, of the specialty track guides (CAPP 200 series) have a worksheet in the back. A member could fill that out, present that to his or her commander and then have that approved in eservices. It wouldn't hurt to include the unit PDO in this process.

This is basically what I expect from my people - substantiate the service, etc., answer the questions in writing, then you have something for the file.  I've had a couple give me the "you can't make me do that..." rap, which is true.  I also don't have to check the box.

Guaranteed anyone who has to answer the questions in writing learns something in the process.

"That Others May Zoom"

flyguync

Just be glad you are not from NC. We now have specialty track SQTR's and have to have mentors that are SET to sign off on them, then send them to the WG PD&DA for approval. The drawback is you may have to go to the other end of the state to find a mentor to work with.

tarheel gumby

Quote from: flyguync on June 26, 2010, 10:44:41 PM
Just be glad you are not from NC. We now have specialty track SQTR's and have to have mentors that are SET to sign off on them, then send them to the WG PD&DA for approval. The drawback is you may have to go to the other end of the state to find a mentor to work with.
That is a problem for me - I am not sure that there is an active member in NC that is a Master rated Historian. There is only 1 Senior Rated Historian in the Wing  ;D
Joseph Myers Maj. CAP
Squadron Historian MER NC 019
Historian MER NC 001
Historian MER 001

flyguync

There was one master on the list but he is no longer active.  I heard grumblings about not as many PD awards being handed out well this is a major reason!!! One flaw with the SQTR is the SET mentor, there are a lot of quality mentors out there but they dont want to do the ES part for whatever reason and thus they cant sign off.

tarheel gumby

Well that awnsers one question that I had. Now I need to have my PDO consult with Wing HQ to see how I can be advanced. That almost sucks being the highest rated SM in my specialty track. Note that I said almost ;D
Joseph Myers Maj. CAP
Historian MER NC 001
Historian MER 001

Eclipse

Quote from: flyguync on June 26, 2010, 10:44:41 PM

Just as an FYI - its fun to make up your own rules, but the above contradicts the program and doesn't account for the fact that unit CC's still have the click power (though I suppose a wing-level WSA might be able to yank that).

Is this an approved supplement, because it's ridiculous.  The pamphlet is effectively the SQTR, and you're not allowed to add "extra" to this stuff downstream.

"That Others May Zoom"

flyguync

NC WING SUPPLEMENT 1

CAP REGULATION 50-17

12 DECEMBER 2009

Specialty Track SQTR Usage

CAP SENIOR MEMBER PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT PROGRAM

CAP Regulation 50-17, dated 22 September 2009, is supplemented as follows:

4-2(c).  NC Wing procedures for enrollment in and submission for any rating for all listed specialty tracks, require the member to use the appropriate Specialty Track SQTR, available for download in the Professional Development section of the North Carolina Wing web-site.   The Specialty Track SQTR is a supplement to the Specialty Track Pamphlet.  The Specialty Track SQTR is intended as tool for the member to track his/her progress and for the "Specialty Track Mentor (STM)" to certify each required task.

4-2(c)(1) The Unit Commander or the Unit Professional Development Officer (PD) will assign the member a STM.  A copy of the PD-STM form will be sent to the Wing Director of Professional Development.

4-2(c)(1)(a).   The STM must be SET qualified.

4-2(c)(1)(b).   The STM must hold a higher rating than the candidate in the same Specialty Track.  If the candidate is seeking a Master Rating, the STM must have served with a Master Rating in a duty assignment requiring that Specialty Track.  The STM must certify that the candidate has achieved all the requirements of the Rating being sought.  The ultimate responsibility falls to the Unit Commander to approve the Rating prior to entering the new Rating into the member's records.

4-2(c)(1)(c).  Each Specialty Track Rating SQTR, carries a North Carolina Wing Supplement designation of:  NCPD-numerical designation-numerical rating (ie:  the Personnel – Technician Rating would be  ---  NCPD-200-1, the Senior Rating --- NCPD-200-2, and the Master Rating --- NCPD-200-3 ).

4-6(b)(2).  Submission of ALL Professional Development forms (CAPFs 2a, 11, 12, 17, 23, 24, and 46) MUST be submitted in MS-WORD format that can be electronically signed.  PDFs and scanned documents will not be accepted.  It is the responsibility of the originating member to submit the form in the proper format and it is the responsibility of the member's Commanding Officer to insure compliance with this regulation.  Substantiating documentation accompanying PD forms may be submitted as PDFs and/or scanned documents, but the CAP Form MUST be submitted in MS-WORD format

4-6(b)(3).   NOTE:  The unit PD enrolls a member in a specialty track via e-Services and the individual unit CC approves the enrollment via e-Services.  The same process is used for assigning Specialty Track Ratings.  The ST-SQTR is sent to the NC Wing PD for record-keeping only.

Form of Submission:  All Specialty Track STM designation forms and Specialty Track SQTR forms must be submitted in MS Word format (.doc) which can be electronically filled out and signed.  PDFs and scanned documents will no longer be accepted.

Certified 12 December 2009,  1ST LT Jim Thomasson, PD

tarheel gumby

Joseph Myers Maj. CAP
Historian MER NC 001
Historian MER 001

Eclipse

Quote from: tarheel gumby on June 28, 2010, 10:07:16 PM
And now the fun begins

Sadly, no fun at all.

A: Ridiculous

B: The amount of unnecessary administrative overheard required to maintain this is even more ridiculous.

C:  Someone needs to show them how to sign a PDF - I don't send my signature up or downstream in a way that makes
it simple to cut and paste it out.  That's why you use .PDF's.

It's indicated that it is approved by the NCWG, but there is nothing about it being approved by NHQ, which I believe would be required.

"That Others May Zoom"

tarheel gumby

Quote from: Eclipse on June 28, 2010, 10:33:09 PM
Quote from: tarheel gumby on June 28, 2010, 10:07:16 PM
And now the fun begins

Sadly, no fun at all.

A: Ridiculous

B: The amount of unnecessary administrative overheard required to maintain this is even more ridiculous.

C:  Someone needs to show them how to sign a PDF - I don't send my signature up or downstream in a way that makes
it simple to cut and paste it out.  That's why you use .PDF's.

It's indicated that it is approved by the NCWG, but there is nothing about it being approved by NHQ, which I believe would be required.

I did not mean to imply any joyous of funfilled activities would be connected with this matter. Quite the opposite, I was being sarcastic.
Joseph Myers Maj. CAP
Historian MER NC 001
Historian MER 001

Eclipse

I understand - but in this case its not even "fun" to have at it.

Clearly someone in NCWG felt there was some "problem" that this fixed, so they decided that rather than addressing the
issue head-on (i.e pencil whipping, lack of progression, lack of understanding, whatever...), they add a level of bureaucracy to
the process that is likely in violation of the spirit, if not also the letter of the regs, and very likely doesn't fix anything other than
making one or a few people the gateways to everything in the wing, which in the process probably stifles participation and progression.

I have lived through this type of thing myself. and not only it is a PITA, the ramifications live in people's minds for years, even when
things are put back they way they should be.

Why our members feel they can't just work the program instead of inventing a new one is beyond me, but BTDT and it never makes things
"better".

"That Others May Zoom"

Short Field

I can see where some squadrons will have a hard time getting people advanced in their specialty track.  The supplement reads like if you can't work for a mentor with the rating level you want to achieve, you can not get that rating.  I think most of us trust our Squadron Commanders to check the specialty track pamphlets to see that they are progressing properly before signing them off.
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

tarheel gumby

It can be a problem for SM's that have a specialty track that is not as used such as Historian. But as the highest rated historian in NCWG I am always ready to help mentor other historians within NCWG. To date I have only been asked to memtor my own assistant. He is teaching me just as much as I am supposed to teach him, which is good for me
If there are any historians within NCWG that need a mentor feel free to contact me.
Joseph Myers Maj. CAP
Historian MER NC 001
Historian MER 001