Specialty Track Approval

Started by Eclipse, April 21, 2010, 03:13:40 PM

Eclipse

My understanding is that, with a few caveats, the unit commander is the approving authority for Specialty Tracks (ES, Comms, AE, etc.),
but I've been getting some scuttle that my wing is asserting their authority for Senior and Master.

I know things like Safety Master require eval of an M/SE (but that's not necessarily outside the unit), and the communicator badge requires Wing DC endorsement and Wing CC approval (which seems a bit silly), but I'm really interested in a generic verbiage that says what echelon approves what PD level.

Considering that in the old days the unit CC just hand-wrote the new level on the MML, I still contend it is all at the unit level.

"That Others May Zoom"

davedove

I agree.  Unless the Specialty Track Guide says otherwise, it is the unit commander.
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Seniors
Personnel/PD/Asst. Testing Officer
Ground Team Leader
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

Angus

With Saftey you are reviewed and an approval by someone of the higher rating.  However when it's entered in the system the Unit Commander still has approval there.   They also still have to sign off after the evaluatio, more of an aknowledgment that it has been completed than an aprroval.
Maj. Richard J. Walsh, Jr.
Director Education & Training MAWG 
 Gill Robb Wilson #4030

Phil Hirons, Jr.

The unit CC's approval indicates that all requirements have been accomplished. So if the relevant CAPP indicates the King of Prussia needs to sign off on a track level the CC should know if it has happened before approving.

CAPR 50-17 still allows for the paper update and indicates unit CC approval.
Unless the wing has an approved supplement for 50-17 it's just rumor

lordmonar

It is always the wing's perogotive to make the regulation more restictive.

It should not be "getting some scuttle" but a clearly written supplement to the regulation.

Having said that....with a few exceptions....why would wing want to add to their burden?
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

arajca

If you're entering specialty track approvals through Eservices, it will require the appropriate approvals. Typically wing for Senior and Region for Master.

Eclipse

Quote from: arajca on April 21, 2010, 07:26:38 PM
If you're entering specialty track approvals through Eservices, it will require the appropriate approvals. Typically wing for Senior and Region for Master.

Where do you find that?  This is the core of the question.

As far as I know, the local unit CC has the authority to click through at least Senior without outside intervention.

My issue here is that I can't find any generic verbiage that says the tech/senior/master approvals match any echelon, and even if they did, master would never reach Region as that would be the forth step.

"That Others May Zoom"

lordmonar

Is this really a policy....or is it just rumor?

If you can go into E-services and click approve (which I know can be done)...then you are done.

If it is policy....then follow policy and challange it up your chain of command.

arajca

Is there a generic, not, but some tracks do require wing/region approval (Groups don't count since not every wing uses them) for senior/master levels.

Phil Hirons, Jr.

Quote from: arajca on April 21, 2010, 08:03:49 PM
Is there a generic, not, but some tracks do require wing/region approval (Groups don't count since not every wing uses them) for senior/master levels.

Cite?

lordmonar

Quote from: 50-17 Para 4-2f. When a member achieves proficiency in all the requirements for the technician, senior, or master rating, the member and trainer coordinate with the PDO and the unit commander to enter the appropriate rating on both the member's master record, CAPF 45 and the unit's online PDR. The unit commander approves by initialing the CAPF 45. Progression in the Senior Member Professional Development Program completes eligibility requirements for duty-performance promotion, provided the member has met all requirements of CAPR 35-5.

bold added

As I said.....unless there is  local wing/regional supplement or policy letter reserving approval authority then the squadron CC approves.

Eclipse

Quote from: arajca on April 21, 2010, 08:03:49 PM

I'm leaning towards this being incorrect and a wives tail - I have no way to test this, but it does not appear eServices has this approval logic.

Some level require service at a Wing level, but not approval of the rating.

As I mention in the OP, comms has the weirdness of having the badge needing Wing CC approval, but not the rating, and Safety needing the review of an MSE, but that could be another SE at the unit.

"That Others May Zoom"

arajca

lordmonar

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

DBlair

Quick Question...

If someone is on Group Staff, what is the procedure for Specialty Tracks to be approved. I was told recently to fill out the form, but cannot figure out which form as this is not a promotion or award. Any help would be appreciated.
DANIEL BLAIR, Lt Col, CAP
C/Lt Col (Ret) (1990s Era)
Wing Staff / Legislative Squadron Commander

Eclipse

Quote from: DBlair on May 04, 2010, 12:38:03 AM
Quick Question...

If someone is on Group Staff, what is the procedure for Specialty Tracks to be approved. I was told recently to fill out the form, but cannot figure out which form as this is not a promotion or award. Any help would be appreciated.

It is approved online in eServices by whomever is the commander of record for that member - so if you are assigned to the group charter, its the Group CC.  If you are a member of a unit doing ADY at Group, its your unit cc.

"That Others May Zoom"

DBlair

Quote from: Eclipse on May 04, 2010, 01:40:31 AM
Quote from: DBlair on May 04, 2010, 12:38:03 AM
Quick Question...

It is approved online in eServices by whomever is the commander of record for that member - so if you are assigned to the group charter, its the Group CC.  If you are a member of a unit doing ADY at Group, its your unit cc.

That was my understanding as well. Perhaps I need to discuss this further with the CC. Thanks for your help.
DANIEL BLAIR, Lt Col, CAP
C/Lt Col (Ret) (1990s Era)
Wing Staff / Legislative Squadron Commander

RiverAux

Am I just spazzing out, but I thought there was a form to be filled out when requesting advancement in a specialty track (beyond turning in the page from the CAPP), but none seem to be appropriate.  Whats the current deal on this (obviously I haven't done much advancing lately). 

Eclipse

Quote from: RiverAux on May 23, 2010, 08:35:22 PM
Am I just spazzing out, but I thought there was a form to be filled out when requesting advancement in a specialty track (beyond turning in the page from the CAPP), but none seem to be appropriate.  Whats the current deal on this (obviously I haven't done much advancing lately).

The only requirement is the commander check the box in eServices.  There are no forms or other substantiation required, however it's a good practice to bundle the substantiation into the member's file should anyone question it later.  Previous to eServices it was just
a handwritten note on the MML and mailed back to NHQ.  At least in my 10+ years there has been no form required.

"That Others May Zoom"