Soft field take-off and landings

Started by DG, March 20, 2010, 12:45:59 PM

DG

Quote from: PHall on March 26, 2010, 04:18:53 AM
Quote from: DG on March 26, 2010, 03:08:39 AM
Quote from: Mustang on March 26, 2010, 12:40:36 AM
Per CAPR 60-1 RMR Supp 1, use of non-paved runways is prohibited without prior written approval from RMR/CC.

What does that say about RMR pilots?

And why is a soft field take-off and a soft field landing part of a Form 5?  Is it considered an emergency procedure in RMR?

Because the Ops People at National felt that it needed to be evaluated, the RMR folks disagree.

And I bet that there are many, many more grass fields East of the Rockies then there are West of them.

Runways out here in the more arid West tend to be hard surfaced. Turf doesn't grow out here unless you irrigate it.

Ahah!  Makes sense.

We have many fine grass fields in Pennsylvania.  I learned to fly on a grass strip.

We get plenty of rain, regularly.  Hense the extensive hardwood forest.  Hense the name Pennsylvania (Penn's Woods).  And I know Florida has many nice grass fields.  Good rain down there too.

We forget what it must be like without much rain.

DG

Quote from: Thrash on March 26, 2010, 01:12:22 PM
The Maule flys off grass all the time towing gliders.  Is that not allowed?

What makes you think it would not be allowed?

Did you read my post on March 22 hereinabove, "All civilian airports which are listed in the current FAA Airport/Facility Directory are authorized for CAP Aircraft.  That includes a lot of soft fields.  Supplements to 60-1 cannot be issued below the wing level and require region commander, NHQ CAP/DO, and CAP-USAF/XO approval.  Requests for waivers or supplements must be submitted via chain of command to the region commander and then to NHQ CAP/DO for further distribution."

Thrashed

I wasn't responding to you.  I fly off grass, so I already know the answer.

Save the triangle thingy

Mustang

Quote from: DG on March 26, 2010, 03:08:39 AM
Quote from: Mustang on March 26, 2010, 12:40:36 AM
Per CAPR 60-1 RMR Supp 1, use of non-paved runways is prohibited without prior written approval from RMR/CC.

What does that say about RMR pilots?

And why is a soft field take-off and a soft field landing part of a Form 5?  Is it considered an emergency procedure in RMR?

Hardly. An emergency procedure in RMR would be more along the lines of how to deal with 2000 fpm downdrafts while flying a canyon walled with 14,000 foot peaks. We're not so concerned with stuff like how to avoid the daisies while landing in a meadow.

As Phil noted, all the non-paved strips out west tend to be dirt/gravel, bad for the aircraft in a number of ways. I've never seen a grass strip in the western US.

"Amateurs train until they get it right; Professionals train until they cannot get it wrong. "

Trung Si Ma

Quote from: Mustang on March 26, 2010, 11:23:14 PM
As Phil noted, all the non-paved strips out west tend to be dirt/gravel, bad for the aircraft in a number of ways. I've never seen a grass strip in the western US.

Been to Johnson Creek in Idaho?  Cedar Mills in Texas?  Beaumont, Kansas (great restaurant, land and then taxi through town to the hotel)?

There are lots of grass strips, just not where we'd normally run a mission.
Freedom isn't free - I paid for it