State SAR standards

Started by RiverAux, March 14, 2010, 10:15:46 PM

heliodoc

RADIO

That plan spells it out pretty clearly and I have not seen my own State Plan as of yet..

More reasons that CAP needs to get into the frame of mind who they would be working for.....which is spelled out pretty clearly

CAP can sell the skills they have, but when rubber meets the road, CAP needs to understand the word volunteer does not equal first responder, which is the desire of a few in the organization.

CAP does not run the searches as they would like after an "action packed" weekend SAREX.  We are proving ourselves to the AF and a few local EM's and agencies.

I feel the real sticking points are the some of the Wing legal officers and types holding MOU's up in order to protect the organization, which in some cases reinforces the thoughts of using the SO, Natl Guard and other fixed and rotary wing assets 'cuz they already have trained folks already in the mode.  Now I know CAP like to claim "15 minutes from notification to airborne status"  but in reality it's more toward the 45 min to 2 hour mark and now with all the edginess of wrinkled sheetmetal syndrome, the pace ought to be slower.

So in most instances, I agree.  Depending on MOU's and State SAR plans, CAP is pretty well defined a support function(s) and those desiring in CAP a "lead role" in SAR, may want to really check things out before calling in the "we are cheaper than all those resources" card.  Yes,  I agree the SDIS stuff and some of the flood relief stuff now going on is great CAP work, but it is who we are working for....we are not the lead as far decsion making for the disaster relief role.  We are the support function of a request

We already KNOW we are....but State plans for efficiency and CAP SAR integration are not always mutually acceptable.  Just because we have the good training in SAR, doesn't always buy it for those who do this on a daily basis....more reasons for CAP to really embrace the NIMS and ICS stuff.  That might get some buy with the real operators down the road and maybe some currently are in the mode

But we know CAPers...... Some THINK they invented ICS ::) ::)