Anyone with better eyes?

Started by smitjud, March 02, 2010, 07:24:34 PM

smitjud

Do my eyes deceive me, or is there a cadet wearing ABU's on page 15 of the January-March issue of the Volunteer magazine.  I keep telling myself it can't be...

Maybe someone with eagle eyes can tell me that my mind is playing tricks on me again... :o
JUSTIN D. SMITH, Maj, CAP
ALWG

"You do not lead by hitting people over the head - that's assault, not leadership."

-Dwight D. Eisenhower

capmaj

The W. Virginia ETeam member in the front row?

Eclipse

My guess is a CAP-RAP?  Regardless there's a few "issues" in that photo...

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

Quote from: capmaj on March 02, 2010, 07:32:07 PM
The W. Virginia ETeam member in the front row?

Missed that in the caption.

"That Others May Zoom"

smitjud

Is that what it is?  Whew....

Wish it was a higher-res picture..  I used to work for the Alabama EMA and we never got cool gear like that.  I'm jealous.
ALWG

"You do not lead by hitting people over the head - that's assault, not leadership."

-Dwight D. Eisenhower

Hawk200

Can't find my hardcopy, anyone got a link to the digital?

JoeTomasone

The electronic version doesn't blow up too well, but they look like ACU/ABU with nothing on them at all..

What's funnier is that a CAP "plan" flew around.   Most of my plans never fly.  :)

There's also a new Cadet rank introduced on pp. 31 -- "Cadet Senior Staff Sgt.".

smitjud

Quote from: JoeTomasone on March 02, 2010, 07:38:04 PM
The electronic version doesn't blow up too well, but they look like ACU/ABU with nothing on them at all..

What's funnier is that a CAP "plan" flew around.   Most of my plans never fly.  :)

There's also a new Cadet rank introduced on pp. 31 -- "Cadet Senior Staff Sgt.".

Hooray for editing!
ALWG

-Dwight D. Eisenhower

SarDragon

I have my hard copy here, and I agree with the ABU/ACUs. I do not see any patches, so it's likely it's not a CAP member wearing them.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

MIKE

Quote from: SarDragon on March 02, 2010, 07:43:19 PM
I have my hard copy here, and I agree with the ABU/ACUs. I do not see any patches, so it's likely it's not a CAP member wearing them.

You must not be in the CAP I was in, where lacking insignia or proper uniform would not stop one from wearing it.
Mike Johnston

Hawk200

It's an ABU. Might have sleeve stripes, but the angles make it hard to tell.

I'm thinking former cadet back from the Air Force for awhile (or a Guardsmen) that decided to show off ABU's.

lordmonar

It is ABUs....I think there are some airman stripes.....my initial SWAG is that it is either a new CAP member who is also ANG or AD USAF who responded in the wrong uniform.  I say "new" because I am giving him the benifit of the doubt that he has not had time to get a CAP field uniform of some kind but just completed his GES and inital GTM3 training and responded to his first ground sortie.

I say this because I KNOW no CAP squadron would let an USAF member who was also in CAP respond in the wrong uniform.  >:D

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Major Carrales

In the grand tradition CAPTALK  of "jumping" (or should I instead say "chumping") at conclusions before knowing any or some of the facts we have this jewel.

May I suggest some research into this event instead of groundless speculations.  Surely someone from the West Virginia Wing can attest to what this is.

The West Virginia Division of Homeland Security and Emergency Management is mentioned in the caption...

http://www.wvdhsem.gov/

Could it be them?  Anyone from the West Virginia Wing care to comment?
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

LtCol057

Does West Virginia have the internet?     ;D :D :o

SarDragon

Quote from: LtCol057 on March 04, 2010, 12:11:24 AM
Does West Virginia have the internet?     ;D :D :o

Sure they do! SLOGAN went to WVU, and posted regularly.  :P
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Zen Master Charlie

I cant recall, read it then gave it away, but that pic did catch my attention as well... It had mentioned in the article that the WV ANG was involved, so my suspition is that he was a former (or current) cadet, that was there with the ANG, but posed with his cadet buddies! :p
"A lot of life is a lot of crap"

a2capt

Okay, part deux, similar situation...

http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/asiapcf/03/06/iwo.jima.memorial/index.html

Not CAP at all, but I know there's got to be some who pass through here that know more about uniforms. After all, it is CAPTalk, and in some ancient native languange I'm sure that "CAP" means uniform.. hence, the founders meant it all along, "Uniformtalk"..

Anyhow, the Marine in the left of the second frame of this article. Either the photo isn't from last week, or the Pacific Islands are something different for the Marines? I thought maybe Young Marines, or Marine J/ROTC because of the red/yellow patches on the shoulder? ..and obviously very young. Or someone discovered the Fountain of Youth out there in the Pacific..

(and wow, 65 years.. that certainly had to be something for those folks to go back, finally. thank them for their service. Wow.)

I'd really like to go see that some day. On a clear day like that, at that!

lordmonar

Looks like either a Young Marine or  a MCJROTC cadet.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

cap235629

Young Marines, I zoomed in on the branch tape
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé