New Senior Member Questions - NM Wing

Started by melliemoo, July 21, 2023, 03:39:55 PM

melliemoo

Hello! I have two questions:

- How do I get fingerprinted? Our local PD doesn't do prints, and anywhere else that does them requires an ORI number. How do I find that number?

- For the tactical uniform, can I wear a gray skirt instead of slacks? I'm more comfortable in skirts than pants.

Thanks!

baronet68

Regarding fingerprints, your squadron can do the fingerprint cards locally with this kit:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073WMS3T7/

Or, for a lower cost they can get the key parts independently:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B097Z4JJH1/
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0C54D97GS/

It takes a little bit of practice but you'll be an expert in no time.

One word of advice is to send TWO fingerprint cards with the application to NHQ.  If you send only one, and that card is smudged or otherwise unusable, the entire application will be rejected and returned to the unit.  If you send TWO cards, and both end up being unusable, NHQ will continue to process the application and use a secondary method for completing the background check.
Michael Moore, Lt Col, CAP
National Recruiting & Retention Manager

baronet68

Regarding skirt vs slacks, wearing a skirt is an approved option:

For White Aviator Uniform:
QuoteCAPR 39-1, 4.2.6.5. Skirt. Straight or A-line. Commercial medium gray flannel, tropical worsted or similar commercial blend. May or may not have belt loops. Pleated skirts or skirts with slits in the front or side are not authorized. Skirt lengths will be no higher than the top of the kneecap or lower than the bottom of the kneecap. Skirts will hang freely and will not be excessively tight. Skirts should hang naturally with a slight flare.

For Tactical/Polo Uniform:
QuoteCAPR 39-1, 5.3.4. Skirt. (Females) Straight or A-line. Commercial medium gray flannel, tropical worsted or similar commercial blend. May or may not have belt loops. Pleated skirts or skirts with slits in the front or side are not authorized. Skirt lengths will be no higher than the top of the kneecap or lower than the bottom of the kneecap. Skirts will hang freely and under no circumstances will they be excessively tight. Skirts should hang naturally with a slight flare. 

coudano

My squadrons have rolled their own prints.
Recommend doing a practice on a piece of scratch paper first.  Then once you've got it, do it on the card.

melliemoo

Thank you so much! I found skirts for the Blues uniform, but not these two.

Quote from: baronet68 on July 21, 2023, 05:03:54 PMRegarding skirt vs slacks, wearing a skirt is an approved option:

For White Aviator Uniform:
QuoteCAPR 39-1, 4.2.6.5. Skirt. Straight or A-line. Commercial medium gray flannel, tropical worsted or similar commercial blend. May or may not have belt loops. Pleated skirts or skirts with slits in the front or side are not authorized. Skirt lengths will be no higher than the top of the kneecap or lower than the bottom of the kneecap. Skirts will hang freely and will not be excessively tight. Skirts should hang naturally with a slight flare.

For Tactical/Polo Uniform:
QuoteCAPR 39-1, 5.3.4. Skirt. (Females) Straight or A-line. Commercial medium gray flannel, tropical worsted or similar commercial blend. May or may not have belt loops. Pleated skirts or skirts with slits in the front or side are not authorized. Skirt lengths will be no higher than the top of the kneecap or lower than the bottom of the kneecap. Skirts will hang freely and under no circumstances will they be excessively tight. Skirts should hang naturally with a slight flare. 

SarDragon

Regarding fingerprints, make sure they are fully rolled on the upper part of the card. My unit has had some kicked back because they weren't fully rolled.

Procedure hint - make sure the person washes their hands prior to printing them. It makes for much clearer prints. There used to be a Guide for Taking Fingerprints on the NHQ site, but I can't locate it online. PM me with your email address, and I'll send it.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

baronet68

Quote from: SarDragon on July 24, 2023, 04:33:40 AMProcedure hint - make sure the person washes their hands prior to printing them. It makes for much clearer prints.

I'd expand on this and recommend the person washes their hands prior with COLD water prior to printing.  It helps reduce sweaty fingers and helps the prints pop just a little bit better.

THRAWN

Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

GroundHawg

I know there is a manufacturer of gray uniform skirts as they wear them at The Citadel and the USMA. Find who makes those and you should be good to go.