Do Decorations Show in eServices for Cadets?

Started by GaryVC, March 23, 2017, 05:20:24 PM

GaryVC

I can see the decorations in eServices for our senior members that have them. However, several cadets should have the CAP Achievement Award and I don't see them in the member search report in eServices. Should they be there?

xray328

My daughter's does

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jester

It should. I just had a cadet get a Commander's Commendation and it's in there.

Eclipse

It depends on two factors -

1 - When it was awarded, because if it pre-dates the relatively new (2 years ish) 120 system would have to be entered
manually as an "historic" award to show in eServcies.

2 - That it was submitted and approved via the 120 system, as opposed to a paper 120.  I would be willing to bet a fair number of CC's
aren't even aware the 120 system exists, and I would further bet there are still wings who for some reason insist on paper.

So it's entirely possible that members have relatively recent, or even very recent decs that were properly approved and don't show in eServices,
in which case the member or Personnel Officer should submit them as "historic" with an uploaded 120 or certificate to be approved up the chain
and recorded in eServices.

"That Others May Zoom"

AlphaSigOU

Currently awarded decorations are entered by the senior/cadet registrar at NHQ at Maxwell AFB. Older decorations must have copies of the certificate or the personnel action submitted to NHQ. The commander/admin/personnel officer at wing level or higher usually has access to the module for decorations for review and approval. Once approved, the decoration will appear in the member's personnel file on eServices.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

TheSkyHornet

I find that not all of the awards and decorations show up. Not every Encampment Ribbon is listed, nor Community Service Ribbon, nor Red Service Ribbon, despite the forms being sent out and acknowledged that they were received. So either someone isn't entering them, or eServices (behind-the-scenes) doesn't accommodate them to be entered.

You really need to keep track of awards at the unit level. I equate it to a DD214. Good luck on everything being correct.

jeders

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on March 23, 2017, 08:16:46 PM
I find that not all of the awards and decorations show up. Not every Encampment Ribbon is listed, nor Community Service Ribbon, nor Red Service Ribbon, despite the forms being sent out and acknowledged that they were received. So either someone isn't entering them, or eServices (behind-the-scenes) doesn't accommodate them to be entered.

You really need to keep track of awards at the unit level. I equate it to a DD214. Good luck on everything being correct.

Those are service ribbons and NOT decorations. They are not tracked by eServices and must be tracked in the members personnel file.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: jeders on March 23, 2017, 08:21:35 PM

Those are service ribbons and NOT decorations. They are not tracked by eServices and must be tracked in the members personnel file.

As you were.

I stand corrected. You are absolutely right. I just jumbled it all together and was mistaken. Thank you.

Eclipse

Encampment?  I suppose if the Unit is so inclined, but it's not necessary as the encampment itself is tracked - people do love their paperwork, though.

If a member, especially a cadet, is not listed for an encampment they attended, it's an easy fix - I had about 4 missing that I was the CC of and that I >know<
had my CAPID on the (now obsolete) F20.  A "records correction" memo with substantiation gets that fixed.  Typos on the F20 happen as well.

It's inexplicable as to why some jelly beans are in there and some aren't, to the detriment of the membership, the prolonged life of the Form 45
(which should already be long dead and buried), and the "not making things easier" realm of administering a unit.

If it can be awarded and worn, it should
be in there.

"That Others May Zoom"

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: Eclipse on March 23, 2017, 08:41:31 PM
It's inexplicable as to why some jelly beans are in there and some aren't, to the detriment of the membership, the prolonged life of the Form 45
(which should already be long dead and buried), and the "not making things easier" realm of administering a unit.

be in there.

No disagreement whatsoever. I figured "automation" meant just that. It gets entered in one place so that it's universal information.

Regarding Encampment, I just meant as a general "award/ribbon," you would expect some master list. I figure the code would pull the number of Encampments and verify that the cadet has "Encampment Ribbon, 2 subsequent awards," or similar on their record.

Often times, members, whether cadets or seniors, transfer units and they have no paper records, or their former unit kept very poor paper records. Many people, as I stated in another topic, don't have as much experience and may not even realize what ends up in eServices may not match what should end up in eServices. Just a wee bit sloppy.

cnitas

be in there.

:clap:
THIS x 1000.
Mark A. Piersall, Lt Col, CAP
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

jeders

Encampment?  I suppose if the Unit is so inclined, but it's not necessary as the encampment itself is tracked - people do love their paperwork, though.

I was highlighting that mostly to say that it is an activity/service award, not a decoration. Technically, there should be a 2A in the member's file for the encampment award, but I agree that it's mostly academic for that award.

If it can be awarded and worn, it should be in there.

I couldn't agree more. There should be a 2A form in eServices; just copy the base code from the 120 app and then change the actual award name, done.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

THRAWN

Quote from: jeders on March 24, 2017, 01:35:31 PM

I was highlighting that mostly to say that it is an activity/service award, not a decoration. Technically, there should be a 2A in the member's file for the encampment award, but I agree that it's mostly academic for that award.

I couldn't agree more. There should be a 2A form in eServices; just copy the base code from the 120 app and then change the actual award name, done.

I agree. Put all of the actions online. Paper is so 1994....
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

Capt_Redfox30

Quote from: THRAWN on March 24, 2017, 02:03:35 PM
Quote from: jeders on March 24, 2017, 01:35:31 PM

I agree. Put all of the actions online. Paper is so 1994....

Agreed, as a former Wing Director of Professional Development, it was lobbied for years for them to add an attachment feature so you could add documents in the PD Award Entry system so you can track something like I don't know conference attendance. Yes there is a box to enter dates, but if you could upload a document to prove that you attended that would be so much easier than having to go through Wing files, or send an email with proof attached that you were there. 
Kirk Thirtyacre, Lt Col, CAP
(Acting) Group Commander
Group 3 HQ

Holding Pattern

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on March 23, 2017, 05:55:19 PM
Currently awarded decorations are entered by the senior/cadet registrar at NHQ at Maxwell AFB. Older decorations must have copies of the certificate or the personnel action submitted to NHQ. The commander/admin/personnel officer at wing level or higher usually has access to the module for decorations for review and approval. Once approved, the decoration will appear in the member's personnel file on eServices.

I have a stack of older decorations for myself and another SM in my squadron I need to submit. Do you have a quick outline of the process by any chance?

kwe1009

Quote from: Mordecai on March 25, 2017, 07:39:21 AM
Quote from: AlphaSigOU on March 23, 2017, 05:55:19 PM

I have a stack of older decorations for myself and another SM in my squadron I need to submit. Do you have a quick outline of the process by any chance?

Submitting historical or a new award is very easy:
1. Click on Award Recommendation

2. Fill out the form (for historical awards be sure to add the approval date and check the "Historical Award" box in section 4)

3. You don't need to fill out section 3 or 5

4. If you have the award justification copy and paste it in section 6

5. Upload supporting documents in section 7 (citation, PA, signed CAPF120, etc)

6. Press "Submit"

TheSkyHornet

Not to derail this question further, but to refer back to a previous comment someone made regarding Encampment ribbons:

If the Encampment staff logs that the cadet went to Encampment on eServices, who documents the Encampment ribbon?

I have several cadets who have informed me that they do not have Encampment ribbons, and supposedly Encampment did not distribute them last year; they did, however. present them the year prior. Is it typical for the home unit to order the ribbons and distribute them, as well as document the ribbon on a 2A?

SarDragon

Hmmm... Two dilemmas here.

The first is documentation. If it's in eServices, why does there need to be a 2a for the ribbon? I already have possible answers, but I'm putting it out here for other opinions.

The second is buying the ribbon. If they aren't given out at the event (I've not seen it done at the ones I went to), then it's appropriate for the unit to get them. The unit knows far enough in advance who's going that they can order the ribbons/clasps and have them available at the next meeting after everyone returns from encampment.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: SarDragon on March 26, 2017, 08:00:28 PM
Hmmm... Two dilemmas here.

The first is documentation. If it's in eServices, why does there need to be a 2a for the ribbon? I already have possible answers, but I'm putting it out here for other opinions.

The second is buying the ribbon. If they aren't given out at the event (I've not seen it done at the ones I went to), then it's appropriate for the unit to get them. The unit knows far enough in advance who's going that they can order the ribbons/clasps and have them available at the next meeting after everyone returns from encampment.

In our case, I think it mostly came from being one of those "traditionally, they provide the ribbon, not us" situations. So why spend the money for ribbons that the organization hosting the event gives out? Well, apparently this is why---because they didn't give them out.

I'd say regarding the 2A, the ribbon itself is not actually being documented it seems, just the time at that event. It's kind of like "Oh, you served in Afghanistan, but there's no Afghanistan Campaign Medal in your file." Just for comparison sake. It's all about the paper trail. But you figure the paperwork would be sent from the organization, not the home unit. I don't know; again, it's so inconsistent all over the place.

I can process an Achievement Award in eServices and it's documented. I can't do the same for the AFA award. It's a pain to not only award and process, but to track. And if I go over to the Personnel Officer and he doesn't have a clue, I just get aggravated.

Be. Consistent.

Jester

Every authorized CAP ribbon should be tracked in eservices along with devices. In the AF, you can go into the virtual military personnel flight and all your awards and decade are listed there and it automatically assembles a ribbon rack on the screen. This can't be that difficult.