Main Menu

Volleyball Tourney

Started by ♠SARKID♠, October 08, 2007, 04:07:13 AM

♠SARKID♠

Watching today's Packers vs. Bears game (>:(Bears>:() I got to thinking.  Seeing as volleyball is CAP's (official?) sport, what about having a national tournament/CAP league?  I know that its a part of drill team comps and such, but the volleyball portions of those are relatively small and don't extend much outside of the competitions.  Teams could be formed and compete from wing, to region, to national levels in a large tournament.

SarDragon

You have an idea. Now put together a detailed plan and present it. Sounds like something to send up through CAC.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Stonewall

I may be ignorant on this one, but isn't volleyball a part of the NCC?
Serving since 1987.

♠SARKID♠

I quote myself.
QuoteI know that its a part of drill team comps and such, but the volleyball portions of those are relatively small and don't extend much outside of the competitions.

Yes, it is, but NCC and DT comps involves other activities.  A drill team may be the nation's greatest CAP volleyball team, but never get recognized because they weren't good in the drill portions of their competitions or some other such reason.

jimmydeanno

I agree with SarDragon, I'd use my CAC channels to get the ball rolling.  However, I think that the idea may run into some issues because;

1) Funding would be a nightmare.

2) Volleyball isn't really one of the purposes of the cadet program.  The reason it was picked for NCC is because it isn't technical enough so you need to devote all your time to learning it like baseball or basketball and shows teamwork. 

3) Funding would be a nightmare

4)If there was a sport that was easier to learn and exemplified teamwork better, volleyball would be out.

5) Funding would be a nightmare

6) The NCC team that is the best in the organization does get recognized when they are given the NCC 1st Place Volleyball Trophy.

Just some things to think about when you putting together your plan.  I'm not trying to shoot it down, just give you some things to think about.

If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Ricochet13

Quote from: jimmydeanno on October 08, 2007, 06:21:53 PM
The reason it was picked for NCC is because it isn't technical enough so you need to devote all your time to learning it like baseball or basketball and shows teamwork. 

:o Don't left my Varsity players hear that!  There is volleyball and there is Volleyball! ;D 

jimmydeanno

Oh I completely agree that there are varying "intensities" of volleyball, but for NCC don't need to spend 3 hours a day to be competitive there.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Al Sayre

Let's not leave the Officers out, perhaps we can start a "Billiards and Beer" league for the over 21 group...
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

BillB

You can't have a billiards and beer group for seniors if there are cadets around. However a billiards and doughnuts league would work
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

Al Sayre

We can hold it in the O'club on a different night... no cadets allowed.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

♠SARKID♠

Quote from: jimmydeanno on October 08, 2007, 06:21:53 PM
I agree with SarDragon, I'd use my CAC channels to get the ball rolling.  However, I think that the idea may run into some issues because;

1) Funding would be a nightmare.

2) Volleyball isn't really one of the purposes of the cadet program.  The reason it was picked for NCC is because it isn't technical enough so you need to devote all your time to learning it like baseball or basketball and shows teamwork. 

3) Funding would be a nightmare

4)If there was a sport that was easier to learn and exemplified teamwork better, volleyball would be out.

5) Funding would be a nightmare

6) The NCC team that is the best in the organization does get recognized when they are given the NCC 1st Place Volleyball Trophy.

Just some things to think about when you putting together your plan.  I'm not trying to shoot it down, just give you some things to think about.

1) Doesnt hurt to try

2) No matter what it was picked for, it greatly promotes teamwork and companionship.  It teaches leadership and followership both on and off the court so  I'd say yes, it is part of the cadet program.

3) Doesnt hurt to try

4) Well it isnt out, and I cant think of any other sports that promote teamwork as well as volleyball does (besides rowing and the 1/4 mile relay   ;))

5) Doesnt hurt to try

6) Yes, but you can have a great volleyball team that never even makes it out of wing because they didnt do as well in other areas.

Pylon

Local units might find success with joining local volleyball leagues.  This past summer I participated on my girlfriend's company's team - a lot of local companies and organizations participate in local-area leagues.  It was a ton of fun, and a great social event.

It could be great exposure for your organization.  Team members wear the squadron t-shirt and build awareness of CAP in the community while having fun on a weekday night.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

smj58501

Quote from: BillB on October 08, 2007, 06:58:05 PM
You can't have a billiards and beer group for seniors if there are cadets around. However a billiards and doughnuts league would work

Just keep the beer off in a seperate place with the Ben Gay. After a game or two against the cadets, most seniors will have a legitimate reason to sneak off for a cold one
Sean M. Johnson
Lt Col, CAP
Chief of Staff
ND Wing CAP

SarDragon

Quote from: ♠SARKID♠ on October 08, 2007, 10:31:26 PM1) Doesnt hurt to try

2) No matter what it was picked for, it greatly promotes teamwork and companionship.  It teaches leadership and followership both on and off the court so  I'd say yes, it is part of the cadet program.

3) Doesnt hurt to try

4) Well it isnt out, and I cant think of any other sports that promote teamwork as well as volleyball does (besides rowing and the 1/4 mile relay   ;))

5) Doesnt hurt to try

6) Yes, but you can have a great volleyball team that never even makes it out of wing because they didnt do as well in other areas.

1), 3), and 5) - no one said it would. I supported it, as did jimmydeano. He was merely pointing out things that might get in the way. These are things you need to address in your plan.

2) - It is a small part for a relatively small number of cadets. I don't recall too many folks talking about v'ball as a part off their monthly activities. YMMV. It's somethingt you will need to sell in your plan.

4) - He gave an "if", and I agree. Simple is the key word when looking at NCC.

6) - Reminds me of the olde joke: "Visitor to New York asks a local, 'How do you get to Carnegie Hall?'. Local replies, "Practice, practice, practice.'"

Now, reread his last line - quoted here: "Just some things to think about when you putting together your plan.  I'm not trying to shoot it down, just give you some things to think about."

On a final note, look on your keyboard, at the row of keys starting with A. At the other end is the ' key, right next to the Enter key. Learn to use it. It will make your posts easier to read and give you more credibility.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret