Main Menu

New NCSA?

Started by CadetProgramGuy, September 19, 2007, 10:47:51 PM

CadetProgramGuy

I have been thinking as of late about the current NCSA's that CAP offeres our cadets.

Then I started to think "What COULD we offer our cadets that we don't already?

So here is the question. 

If you designed an NSCA what woulf you make it out to be?

JC004

Good question.  It is something on which I would need to give more thought, but is a major priority of my regime once my coup is complete.   

MIKE

I would offer no bling what-so-ever... Except for the NCSA ribbon and maybe a coin.  No patches or funny hats etc... but it would be the most awsomest NCSA ever... because I thought of it.  It would probably involve military small arms and crew served weapons and/or things that explode real good.  ;D

Mike Johnston

CadetProgramGuy

Quote from: MIKE on September 19, 2007, 11:06:15 PM
I would offer no bling what-so-ever... Except for the NCSA ribbon and maybe a coin.  No patches or funny hats etc... but it would be the most awsomest NCSA ever... because I thought of it.  It would probably involve military small arms and crew served weapons and/or things that explode real good.  ;D

Mike,

While I also appreciate the "Things that go BIG BOOM in the night" and I also agree about NO BLING, lets get serious for just a minute.  Ok not even that long.  What would you want to do?

CadetProgramGuy

I was thinking of an Boot Camp, NCO - Drill master type of camp.

SJFedor

Couple of people I know of are working on creating a mantracking course for CAP GTMs and GTLs here in TN. Our Group CC is a former Metro Nashville detective, and one of ~100 master mantrackers in the country. He works with a lot of the state agencies (TN State Police, Tenn Bureau of Investigation) and teaches their troopers and agents these skills. I think that would be a neat course to do. Not so much an NCSA, but still.

Personally, if I was back as a cadet, I would want an NCSA where I get to shadow a crew of a C-130 or C-17 or C-5 for a week and fly with them for a week (maybe over to Hawaii, Guam, perhaps Germany, nothing over in the Sandbox though). Maybe a course, as well, where cadets can spend time with the USAF Air Traffic Controllers and get an intro into their operations, maybe get to spend a week at their tech school and then a week at an operational base learning all the different things.

I guess where I'm really going is that there should be more activities where cadets can shadow USAF or other service personnel and learn their jobs, and if it would be something they'd be interested in.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

LeoBurke

NASA Familiarization Course(s)  - NOT another Space Camp!

Cape Kennedy
Houston
Edwards AFB
etc....

Show the value of math, science and engineering degrees in college. 
Leo Burke, Michigan

/\/\/\   The Spaatz award is over-rated.  Get yours and prove it.  It's Half the
\/\/\/   Mitchell, Half the Earhart, write a paragraph and run around the block!

jimmydeanno

Quote from: SJFedor on September 20, 2007, 01:47:36 AM
I guess where I'm really going is that there should be more activities where cadets can shadow USAF or other service personnel and learn their jobs, and if it would be something they'd be interested in.

I'm not a cadet, but I think shadowing EOD would be super cool...
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

JC004

Quote from: jimmydeanno on September 20, 2007, 12:00:28 PM
I'm not a cadet, but I think shadowing EOD would be super cool...

Fixed missing image.  Here we go  ^^^

jimmydeanno

If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

SJFedor

Quote from: jimmydeanno on September 20, 2007, 12:29:54 PM
^pic from above (paste in address line): http://www.strategypage.com/gallery/images/Bombsquad.jpg

That is GOOD!  >:D

WIWAC, I did my basic encampment at MCAS Cherry Point. We got to spend a few hours with the base EOD, they're some cool guys. Let us play with their toys and all. Had this really awesome room with all sorts of inert things that used to go boom.

I also drove the bomb robot into some GySgt's truck. He wasn't too thrilled.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

floridacyclist

Something like http://www.tallahasseecap.org/commcamp/ . It doesn't have to be sponsored by Rangers, we just needed a sponsoring organization and our group/sq CC said we weren't capable of it while Capt Cason  said "Let's do it".
Gene Floyd, Capt CAP
Wearer of many hats, master of none (but senior-rated in two)
www.tallahasseecap.org
www.rideforfatherhood.org

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: LeoBurke on September 20, 2007, 03:45:51 AM

NASA Familiarization Course(s)  - NOT another Space Camp!

Cape Kennedy
Houston
Edwards AFB
etc....

Show the value of math, science and engineering degrees in college. 

Though it ain't been called Cape Kennedy in years... the Cape reverted back to the old 'Cape Canaveral' moniker, but the NASA facility is John F. Kennedy Space Center.

I like it... tell us more!  ;D
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

flyerthom

Aviation Medicine Encampment.

Spend some shadow time with Para jumpers, air evac, Long range air evac (like the C 130's flying guys from Iraq to Ramstein), and in the Civilian world fixed wing and rotor wing air EMS. Because of the way heat effects rotor wing transport on the civilian side it would be a winter encampment.

It's a chance to see that aviation does more than deliver ordnance.

Air EMS!

Life from Above!
TC

Cadet Tillett

Is there a National C/NCO school?  One thing I have noticed as a need in CAP is quality C/NCOs helping their officers run the program.
C/Capt. Tillett, NCWG
Wright Brothers #4609
Mitchell #54148
Earhart #14039

floridacyclist

Quote from: flyerthom on October 13, 2007, 05:55:28 PM

Air EMS!

Life from Above!

I like that one. We have a very close working relationship with our local Medevac companies and the cadets always enjoy dealing with them. Sometimes I think CAP turnes out more EMS folks than military.....combining EMS and aviation is a natural.

Anyone need the phone number to Flatiron so they can suggest it? LOL
Gene Floyd, Capt CAP
Wearer of many hats, master of none (but senior-rated in two)
www.tallahasseecap.org
www.rideforfatherhood.org

flyguy06

Quote from: floridacyclist on October 15, 2007, 01:02:03 PM
Quote from: flyerthom on October 13, 2007, 05:55:28 PM

Air EMS!

Life from Above!

I like that one. We have a very close working relationship with our local Medevac companies and the cadets always enjoy dealing with them. Sometimes I think CAP turnes out more EMS folks than military.....combining EMS and aviation is a natural.

Anyone need the phone number to Flatiron so they can suggest it? LOL
I think it depends on the Senior member influence. In my Squadron, we have a lot of Tuskegee Airmen and pilots, so cadets natuarlly are interested in military aviation

Psicorp

I'd like to see a National Communications activity.  Each Wing or Region hosts a week long Comm encampment during the same time and pools Comm resources (equipment and personnel) from each Wing or Region. 

There are so many people out there who know more about radios and radio theory than I could possibly learn in a lifetime on my own.   Cadets could learn how to set up a base (or mobile) station, what antennas work best (how to build them?) and run the  HF nets for a week.  Ideally we could even partner with HAMS and get the cadets their licenses.

Most cadets only get exposure to radios at a practice or actual mission, but don't get much into the how or whys.  Heck, a lot of cadets have CAP call signs and the only time they've touched a radio was during BCUT and ACUT classes. 

Hopefully Seniors would be invited too  ;D
Jamie Kahler, Capt., CAP
(C/Lt Col, ret.)
CC
GLR-MI-257

Lancer

Quote from: Psicorp on October 17, 2007, 05:18:05 PM
I'd like to see a National Communications activity.  Each Wing or Region hosts a week long Comm encampment during the same time and pools Comm resources (equipment and personnel) from each Wing or Region.

Jamie,

Talk to Lt Col Dave Montgomery. During our meeting in Flint he outlined a week long 'Comm Encampment' that's going to coincide with our regular Basic encampment and RCLS at the Alpena CRTC next year.

Apparently they'll just use the base for billeting and meals, but the training will be off site. It'll be open to cadets and seniors from what he said.

I don't remember all the details, but it did sound exciting. If I wasn't already tagged as PAO for the encampment, I wouldn't mind doing that myself.

BillB

FloridaCyclist already ran a week long ES training and communications course. At the end cadets took the FCC ASmateur Radio Technician class license exam. I understand most if notr all cadets passed it plus getting their ACUT card.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104