Of all the reports available on eservices

Started by Майор Хаткевич, November 05, 2013, 06:09:38 AM

Майор Хаткевич

Where is the one to see who dropped off the roster recently?

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

coudano

Nah, i've seen one...  but I can't remember where...

like members about to expire in 60days, 30 days, and members who expired within the last 3 months
or something like that?  maybe commanders only?

FlyTiger77

Quote from: coudano on November 05, 2013, 01:40:45 PM
Nah, i've seen one...  but I can't remember where...

like members about to expire in 60days, 30 days, and members who expired within the last 3 months
or something like that?  maybe commanders only?

There is a report in the Commanders' Corner that shows the individuals who are expiring within 30, 60 and 90 days but it doesn't show the recent expirations.
JACK E. MULLINAX II, Lt Col, CAP

Майор Хаткевич

Yea, got access to the 90 days out. Doesn't show those already gone.

Offutteer

So....  Who's writing the Help Desk request?  I don't think we all need to do it.

A simple enough report.  Expired members within 90 days with contact information (address, phone and email).  Could do a lot to help with retention. 

JeffDG

The data's available in "CAPWATCH"

When members drop off, their status changes to "EXPIRED".  All the contact information is still there too.

Storm Chaser

You can get a report for members whose membership expired within 90 days. The report is under Members Reports, Membership. Make sure you select the option to include inactive members within past 90 days.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Storm Chaser on November 05, 2013, 02:46:31 PM
You can get a report for members whose membership expired within 90 days. The report is under Members Reports, Membership. Make sure you select the option to include inactive members within past 90 days.

Awesome, thanks!

Now to put it under cadet reports.

Eclipse

Quote from: JeffDG on November 05, 2013, 02:38:17 PM
The data's available in "CAPWATCH"

When members drop off, their status changes to "EXPIRED".  All the contact information is still there too.

The data is there, but there's no "reports" per se - those are just raw tables.  You still need to be able to do something with them.

I forgot about the "90 day expiration" one.

One that would be real nice would be a "forever" ex-members with the date they dropped off so we could do long-term stats.  A lot of
these reports are useless for a year if you start tracking something no one was watching before.

"That Others May Zoom"

RogueLeader

WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Private Investigator

Quote from: Offutteer on November 05, 2013, 02:36:48 PM
So....  Who's writing the Help Desk request?  I don't think we all need to do it.

A simple enough report.  Expired members within 90 days with contact information (address, phone and email).  Could do a lot to help with retention.

Not really. When their time is done, they're done. I use to chase after expired members and found the best thing was get an "exit interview" and find out why they are leaving. If it is not fun why stay?

Tim Medeiros

Quote from: usafaux2004 on November 05, 2013, 02:59:17 PM

Awesome, thanks!

I would argue that it doesn't belong there.  This report isn't just about cadets, it lists all member types at the unit.
TIMOTHY R. MEDEIROS, Lt Col, CAP
Chair, National IT Functional User Group
1577/2811

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Tim Medeiros on November 07, 2013, 05:29:57 PM

Awesome, thanks!

I would argue that it doesn't belong there.  This report isn't just about cadets, it lists all member types at the unit.

Right, and as a Leadership Officer, I work under the CDC, who asked me who dropped to bring our count down, and I had a hell of a time finding it out under the cadet restricted apps.

Tim Medeiros

Quote from: usafaux2004 on November 07, 2013, 05:46:29 PM

Awesome, thanks!

Right, and as a Leadership Officer, I work under the CDC, who asked me who dropped to bring our count down, and I had a hell of a time finding it out under the cadet restricted apps.

So ask your wsa for access to member reports or capwatch download.  The purpose of the various cadet centric restricted applications is not to provide the information you were seeking.
1577/2811

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Tim Medeiros on November 07, 2013, 05:51:21 PM

Awesome, thanks!

So ask your wsa for access to member reports or capwatch download.  The purpose of the various cadet centric restricted applications is not to provide the information you were seeking.

Incidentally as the Leadership Officer I did have access to the info in the posted report path. But a cadet specific one would be useful, and can be rolled into the 90days from expiration report.

abdsp51

Or, you can use SIMS and filter the data you're looking for.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: abdsp51 on November 07, 2013, 07:08:51 PM
Or, you can use SIMS and filter the data you're looking for.

Sims? Wasn't that the platform...popular in 2007? I seem to remember there was a lot of excitement about it at the tail end of my cadet days. Of course eservices was also near useless back then and in-house stuff was quite common on the idea front.

Tim Medeiros

Quote from: usafaux2004 on November 07, 2013, 06:23:28 PM
Quote from: Tim Medeiros on November 07, 2013, 05:51:21 PM

Awesome, thanks!

Incidentally as the Leadership Officer I did have access to the info in the posted report path. But a cadet specific one would be useful, and can be rolled into the 90days from expiration report.
And where would that report go?

Cadet Promotions application is specifically for cadet promotions
Cadet Uniform application is specifically for cadet uniforms
CAP Scholarship application is specifically for scholarships
Cadet Online Testing application is specifically for cadet testing
Event Administration and Event NESA Administration is specifically for the administration of NCSAs/NESA respectively

How about a section specifically for reports of a membership nature?  Say how about in that report option including a function to filter by member type?  Something kind of like the attached image.
1577/2811

Майор Хаткевич

Cadet Promotions have reports.  Make it an option under the 90 Day Lapse.

Eclipse

Assuming you have a functioning copy, SIMS is still the most comprehensive way to manage squadron - it encompasses
everything you need in one place.

Unfortunately, all the mucking with the tables, not to mention moving them from Access to raw text appears to have chased away
the developers.  Their site is dead.

"That Others May Zoom"

RogueLeader

That request should have gone to the Personnel Officer.  That was the wrong lane for that task.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

a2capt

I still keep thinking of making a Filemaker version of a front end for data.. at least runtimes can be made for OS X and Windows.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: RogueLeader on November 07, 2013, 08:56:43 PM

That request should have gone to the Personnel Officer.  That was the wrong lane for that task.

We were doing something unrelated. Came up by text message at 11PM. We both have access to the reports, so why involve someone else?

Tim Medeiros

Quote from: usafaux2004 on November 07, 2013, 08:28:51 PM
Cadet Promotions have reports.  Make it an option under the 90 Day Lapse.

Indeed it does, and with the exception of the 90 day lapse, they are ALL tied to .... cadet promotions.  An expired member isn't in any way tied to promotions, so there is no need for it to be there.  Keep things in their proper lane.
1577/2811

RogueLeader

Quote from: usafaux2004 on November 07, 2013, 09:15:46 PM

We were doing something unrelated. Came up by text message at 11PM. We both have access to the reports, so why involve someone else?

You involve the other person, because that's whose job it is to manage that.  You manage the cadets in your lane, the Personnel manages all the data of everybody.  If a cadet falls off the roster, that cadet is no longer in your lane.  That is how it is supposed to work in the perfect world.  Now, if the CDC or CC thought it should be in your lane, they should assign you the right WSA permissions to check it out.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

abdsp51

Quote from: Eclipse on November 07, 2013, 08:36:32 PM
Assuming you have a functioning copy, SIMS is still the most comprehensive way to manage squadron - it encompasses
everything you need in one place.

Unfortunately, all the mucking with the tables, not to mention moving them from Access to raw text appears to have chased away
the developers.  Their site is dead.

Have one and using it actively.  It's a pain to use when you first start but it does contain a wealth of info and is easy to update.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: RogueLeader on November 07, 2013, 09:36:54 PM
Quote from: usafaux2004 on November 07, 2013, 09:15:46 PM

You involve the other person, because that's whose job it is to manage that.  You manage the cadets in your lane, the Personnel manages all the data of everybody.  If a cadet falls off the roster, that cadet is no longer in your lane.  That is how it is supposed to work in the perfect world.  Now, if the CDC or CC thought it should be in your lane, they should assign you the right WSA permissions to check it out.

Seriously? We saw the dip from 30 to 29. Wondered who dropped. All there is to it. Sometimes ACTIVE cadets will forget to renew in a timely manner. Sometimes it's a kid off to college, or one who dropped off on attendance months ago. IMO this is the type of stuff you need to see as a CP Officer. We don't need a bureaucracy, and I didn't need any of the kids data, just a name to put to the change.

And again, one of my permissions (PAO, Testing, Leadership) gives me the reports at hand, so I'm not sure why you're convinced that a Personnel officer needs to get involved, especially on a cursory issue.

RogueLeader

Quote from: usafaux2004 on November 07, 2013, 10:40:51 PM
Seriously? We saw the dip from 30 to 29. Wondered who dropped. All there is to it. Sometimes ACTIVE cadets will forget to renew in a timely manner. Sometimes it's a kid off to college, or one who dropped off on attendance months ago. IMO this is the type of stuff you need to see as a CP Officer. We don't need a bureaucracy, and I didn't need any of the kids data, just a name to put to the change.

And again, one of my permissions (PAO, Testing, Leadership) gives me the reports at hand, so I'm not sure why you're convinced that a Personnel officer needs to get involved, especially on a cursory issue.

I understand why people drop off.  I see it all the time.  If you have access to the reports fine, it means your command has seen fit that you need access to that information.  If they haven't; you go to the one that does.  Why is that so hard? 

Should that report be accessible to CP people, you bet.  Why its not?  No clue. 
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Luis R. Ramos

Maybe because it is supposed to be the responsibility of the Personnel Officer, according to the pamphlet that covers the Personnel specialty track, CAPP200?

QuoteFrom page 4:
This includes recruiting new members, retaining current members...

QuoteFrom page 3, para 1:
1. Position Description. Personnel technicians are responsible for a basic familiarity with all CAP personnel directives and the organizational structure of CAP. They perform all duties related to processing unit personnel actions to include new membership applications, unit activations and deactivations, charter changes, assignments, reassignments, transfers, retirements, promotions, demotions, termination, actions, and awards and decorations.

Just like a testing issue is that of the Testing Officer...?

Flyer
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Майор Хаткевич

So a CDC needs to go to Personnel for a quick report on his cadets? It's not possible, in a rational world to have both have access to it? CDC and CC also need to know the testing regs, not just the testing officers.

Luis R. Ramos

It was asked "Why do I have to go to the Personnel Officer for this?" Asked and answered.

Now you are posting a different question. To which I answer if you have access to that report, then run it! And no, in this case you do not have to involve your Personnel Officer!

Flyer
Squadron Safety Officer

Майор Хаткевич

No, the question was why would a CDC need to involve a personnel officer when the CDC should have access to this info.

RogueLeader

Quote from: usafaux2004 on November 07, 2013, 11:36:13 PM
No, the question was why would a CDC need to involve a personnel officer when the CDC should have access to this info.
The simple but blunt answer is that they way 20-1 is written, the CDC doesn't.  I think that they should have it, and they can.  The WSA just needs to grant those permissions.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Майор Хаткевич

Bit he does have access to it. Just not in the cadet module.

RogueLeader

Ok. . . so whats the issue if the CDC has it?

So what if its in another module?
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: RogueLeader on November 08, 2013, 12:23:50 AM

Its not intuitive?

Patterson

Wow.  If we use Flyers logic, the non-renewing member that fell off the roster is not any concern of the Personnel Officer.  Since they are a former member, and it's not written in black and white in CAPP 200, it's not a Personnel issue.

Really, non-renewals are everyone's business. We need to know the why and reasons for leaving.  Those answers will help every staff officer at the Squadron.

Eclipse

If the only reason you notice someone is missing is because your MML is 1 short, they aren't likely to be coming back.

People forget to renew all the time, and that will pop up the first time you try to input safety, fly, whatever, but
very few are active members and then simply stop showing up coincidental to their membership expiring.

The reports that always concerned me were the 90 and thirty day expiration reports, especially if someone
is on there more then once.

Most people take care of that kind of thing as soon as it is brought to their attention, so when they linger on those
reports, there's usually a reason - "I forgot is #1.", but "I don't know if I'm renewing." and "I'm not giving NHQ a nickel
until the last minute." are on that list too.

#2 & 3 usually indicate some kind of displeasure with their CAP involvement.

"That Others May Zoom"

RogueLeader

Quote from: usafaux2004 on November 08, 2013, 12:42:37 AM

Its not intuitive?

Membership under Membership Reports isn't intuitive? ???
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: RogueLeader on November 08, 2013, 01:12:37 AM
Quote from: usafaux2004 on November 08, 2013, 12:42:37 AM

Its not intuitive?

Membership under Membership Reports isn't intuitive? ???

Lack of it for cadets under reports is.

Tim Medeiros

1577/2811

Майор Хаткевич

Tim Medeiros

I maintain my assertion that it does NOT make sense to have a membership type of report in a restricted application about cadet promotions.
1577/2811

Luis R. Ramos

Patterson-

If we use Flyers logic, the non-renewing member that fell off the roster...

How do you get that? Quite the opposite, this logic if you call it that, I consider it a mandate by regulations, should prevent a member from becoming a non-concern.  Remember I posted that regulations stated this officer is responsible for retaining current members...? So if this officer does his / her job, there will be no one falling off the rosters!

Flyer
Squadron Safety Officer

MSG Mac

The newer members drop out well before the report shows him/her shows up as due to renew. We should be contacting the members when they miss a meeting, unless they have already notified you of a planned absence. We don't lose them on the expiration date but usually at the 4 to 6 month of membership.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member