Main Menu

C/FO

Started by abdsp51, June 23, 2012, 11:07:59 PM

ßτε

From what I can tell, anyone who was a member in early June 1994 was assigned a CAPID number. The lowest appears to be 100000, still in use today. It looks like they started with senior members with numbering up to 14**** and continuing with cadets to 17****, and then went sequentially starting in June 1994. I don't think there were any gaps.

SarDragon

I did some surfing around in eServices a while back, and came up with the numbers I posted.

Just checked again, and the lowest current number is 100014, and all three members in the 10001x group are in NHWG.

There are some thousand number gaps around 1492xx, 1494xx, 1495xx, 1496xx, and 1497xx. The sequence starts again at 1498xx. There is another gap at 1500xx. They seem to continue regularly after that.

Based on my membership card collection, the changeover came on 1 Jan 2001.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

bosshawk

Dave: your chronology seems about right.  I joined in 93 and when my number was changed to a CAPID, it was in the 103XXX range: I assume because my SSN begins with 191.  Can;'t remember what my CAPID was, but I can remember my Army serial number: assigned in June 1957.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

SarDragon

That just threw more crap in the game. Your SSAN is higher than mine, but your CAPID is lower. My most recent join date is Apr '87.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

jimmydeanno

My CAPID starts with 229, and my SSN starts with 012.  I joined in '97 and was converted from the SSN version to a CAPID.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

MSG Mac

Mine starts with 02 and CAP ID is 101***
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

SarDragon

I dunno.

I thought I had it mostly fangered out, and then I see all the outliers here.

Oh, well.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

ßτε

Quote from: jimmydeanno on June 27, 2012, 03:44:55 AM
My CAPID starts with 229, and my SSN starts with 012.  I joined in '97 and was converted from the SSN version to a CAPID.
Since you joined after 1994, your CAPID was assigned sequentially by join date and was not based on your SSN.

It looks like from 1994 to 2000, the CAPID was used internally at NHQ and not used on membership cards or membership reports.

SarDragon

Quote from: ßτε on June 27, 2012, 05:07:35 AM
Since you joined after 1994, your CAPID was assigned sequentially by join date and was not based on your SSN.

It looks like from 1994 to 2000, the CAPID was used internally at NHQ and not used on membership cards or membership reports.

What do you have from that time frame that has the CAPID?
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

ßτε

Quote from: SarDragon on June 27, 2012, 05:20:18 AM
Quote from: ßτε on June 27, 2012, 05:07:35 AM

What do you have from that time frame that has the CAPID?
I don't have anything from that era using the CAPID. What I have done is researched and found that for members with join dates starting in June 1994, CAPID numbers are sequential based on join date.

That is why I suppose that from 1994 to 2000, it was only used internally in the national database and not actually used on anything given to members or units.

MinnViking08

I joined in 1997 My SSN starts with 234 this was when we still used the CAPSN and it was our Soc Sec Number. When they changed to CAPID my CAPID starts with 230

bosshawk

I think that this thread has, once again, surfaced the strong impression that some of the things that CAP National Hq does do not make sense.

Continue to march.  How do we change this to a uniform thread?
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

SarDragon

Got it. And that set of digits started where?

Looking at the 100xxx numbers, they mostly all belong to folks from NER, with the obvious exceptions of people who have moved.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

abdsp51

I initially joined Nov 94 and my membership lapsed in 98 and I rejoined this year.  It's funny when i get looked at when people learn my membership # starts with a 1 most of the the folks in ky unit who have a 1 or something like that are SMs either a Maj or LtCol.

Ned

When I first turned to the Dark Side in 1976, I declined to provide CAP with my SSN and was assigned a CAPID that was simply my six digit cadet serial number preceded by three zeros. 

I was able to keep it that way for several years until provision of SSN became mandatory with the onset of our CPP and the old Cadet Leader cards.  (Yes, I'm a certified 'leader'.  It says so on this card!")

At some point they assigned me a CAPID, 145xxx.

I'm really getting old . . .

BillB

Ned
   Don't feel old, including a cadet ID, I've had five serial numbers.
Dave since you listed yours here's my SN's

C41-320 (I don't believe there were only 319 cadets in Florida Wing before I joined)
SM  4-1-5716
SSN
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

SarDragon

Quote from: BillB on June 27, 2012, 05:34:32 PM
Ned
   Don't feel old, including a cadet ID, I've had five serial numbers.

Now I don't feel so bad. I've only had 4.

Olde cadet # - C-22-10171
New cadet # - 519522
SSAN when I turned SM
Current # - 106xxx
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

ColonelJack

Quote from: Ned on June 27, 2012, 04:04:01 PM
When I first turned to the Dark Side in 1976, I declined to provide CAP with my SSN and was assigned a CAPID that was simply my six digit cadet serial number preceded by three zeros. 

I was able to keep it that way for several years until provision of SSN became mandatory with the onset of our CPP and the old Cadet Leader cards.  (Yes, I'm a certified 'leader'.  It says so on this card!")

Ned ...

You think YOU'RE getting old?  My CAPID is 115xxx.

And I was out for 12 years before rejoining ...

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

Garibaldi

Quote from: ColonelJack on June 27, 2012, 09:40:09 PM
Quote from: Ned on June 27, 2012, 04:04:01 PM

Ned ...

You think YOU'RE getting old?  My CAPID is 115xxx.

And I was out for 12 years before rejoining ...

Jack

I am one of the only few that actually has a CAPID whose first 3 numbers match our unit number: 115. People still comment on it when they see it. My OLD CAPID from 1981 started with 796.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

BuckeyeDEJ

Huh. My cadet number, issued in 1984, was 000914475. Then, as I was gearing up to go to college, I had to get a Social Security number, so I converted my CAPSN to that number.

And then my CAPID came along -- starting with 113. It has nothing but 1s and 3s in it, which is funny, since my lucky number is 13.

My SSN has nothing to do with it, as it starts with 234. (Guess the state in which it was issued.)

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.