The First National Cadet Advisory Council - 1970

Started by Cindi, August 21, 2011, 01:19:47 PM

Mitchell 1969

Quote from: Cindi on August 21, 2011, 02:33:21 PM
Quote from: ol'fido on August 21, 2011, 02:19:47 PM
Sorry to hear that. I did notice the dates you put on the OP for him. I also note that several of the cadets are wearing wings and very few(or no) ribbons. About the maturity thing.... I thought it was me getting older that made the cadets look so young, but like I said, these cadets look very mature compared to the cadets I usually see at activities.

Glad you like the picture. In addition to the first National Cadet Advisory Council, the Advanced Cadet Leadership Symposium was held with about 100 senior cadets and Jack Sorenson, National Commander Richard Ellis and CAP Chairman of the Board, Hal duPont. Here are more pictures from the January 7-10th 1971 Advanced Cadet Leadership Symposium at the Statler Hilton in Dallas, Texas:

The captions on groups 1 and 2 have been switched.

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

Mitchell 1969

Quote from: Cindi on August 23, 2011, 06:14:10 AM
Quote from: PA Guy on August 23, 2011, 05:30:44 AM
Quote from: ol'fido on August 21, 2011, 02:00:22 PM
Great photo! Is it just me or do the c/Cols of that era look a lot more mature than a similar group photo than you would probably see today. And it ain't just the cadet with the mustache! Keep coming with those pics. :)

That is because the ones I know in the pictures were more mature.  They were 19-20 yrs old and many were living on their own.  They would have been insulted and horrified if they had been treated the way cadets today are treated.  Many of them are wearing wings because they had attended one of the old National Flying Encampments which were much more advanced than the current versions.  I seem to recall they were 3-4 weeks long at various flying schools around the country with classes and flying every day.

The Cadet Flying Encampment License in 1970 in Stillwater, Oklahama lasted four weeks. Cadets had to have passed the FAA written and solo first, and then after a month of intense ground school and flying you got your license. Pressure was high as no one had failed before. You were not about to be the first. Transportation to and from Stillwater was paid for. The only fee was $99 for a months lodging in the dorms at Oklahoma State University. In each wing two cadets were selected for training.

Also, attendees had to pass a Class II medical. The idea was that it could lead to a career.

In 1970, there were 4 CFEL sessions, each with about 24-25 cadets. Two sessions were at Stillwater (OSU) and two at Norman, OK (University of Oklahoma).  I attended the one for which that patch was designed.

We had some local USAFR staff members and some CAP officers from various wings. Good thing that the locals were there. The C-150 in that patch, copied from a brochure, was originally red. It was hurriedly changed to orange when we were told by the local USAFR officers that it might cause a riot if we wore it - OSU's color is orange, Norman's was red.

My patch is on loan to Ace Browning. I have seen scans of it before and even discovered that some guy in the Phillipines has made copies (?!).

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

Mitchell 1969

Geez, do I feel old!  I wasn't at this ACLS, but I have met 24 of the people in the pictures.

Six of them (Willers, Lashlee, Busig, Borge, Peterson, Vito) were with me at CFEL. That's 25% of our class.

Another four (Upton, Denesik, Westerman, Glaubach) were from CA (as was Ringlee, but I never met him and Lashlee, already counted from CFEL.

The rest were from various places, including the second ACLS, same location, held in late 1972.

Cindi

Quote from: Mitchell 1969 on October 02, 2011, 09:21:11 PM
Geez, do I feel old!  I wasn't at this ACLS, but I have met 24 of the people in the pictures.

Six of them (Willers, Lashlee, Busig, Borge, Peterson, Vito) were with me at CFEL. That's 25% of our class.

Another four (Upton, Denesik, Westerman, Glaubach) were from CA (as was Ringlee, but I never met him and Lashlee, already counted from CFEL.

The rest were from various places, including the second ACLS, same location, held in late 1972.

Somehow I have this picture of cadet Lashlee trying on a spacesuit in my mind. Right off the bat they relaxed the discipline at our CFEL in Stillwater, it was tough enough with a month of flying. I remember getting lost a couple of times and almost landing at McConnell AFB instead of Witchita Municipal. Those big gray planes are a dead give away this is not the local airport. They sure gave us plenty of certificates there at Stillwater, we all have had to live with the fact of being Honorary Okies all these years. Has it been that long ago?

Mitchell 1969

Quote from: Cindi on October 02, 2011, 10:03:44 PM
Quote from: Mitchell 1969 on October 02, 2011, 09:21:11 PM

Somehow I have this picture of cadet Lashlee trying on a spacesuit in my mind. Right off the bat they relaxed the discipline at our CFEL in Stillwater, it was tough enough with a month of flying. I remember getting lost a couple of times and almost landing at McConnell AFB instead of Witchita Municipal. Those big gray planes are a dead give away this is not the local airport. They sure gave us plenty of certificates there at Stillwater, we all have had to live with the fact of being Honorary Okies all these years. Has it been that long ago?

I think I actually have a copy of a photo of Nora Lashlee trying on the spacesuit. And one of me wearing it, as well. (To duplicate that in my case, now, will require a bigger spacesuit).

And, yes, proud to be an honorary Okie myself.

Ok, I'm stumped. I dont remember any "Cindi" there.

Cindi

I am trying to remember Mitchell...hmm does not ring a bell...lol...cindi is just a nick and an unfortunate choice of one at that.

Below is a  picture of the accommodations at the 1970 CFEL in Stillwater, the flying was free, the trip there and back was free...our cost, $99 for room and meals for a month on the campus of Oklahoma State University:

Mitchell 1969

Quote from: Cindi on October 03, 2011, 01:29:25 AM
I am trying to remember Mitchell...hmm does not ring a bell...lol...cindi is just a nick and an unfortunate choice of one at that.

Below is a  picture of the accommodations at the 1970 CFEL in Stillwater, the flying was free, the trip there and back was free...our cost, $99 for room and meals for a month on the campus of Oklahoma State University:

That's Willham Hall. I think males were in Willham South, females in Willham North.

What wingpatch were you wearing then?

Cindi

Quote from: Mitchell 1969 on October 03, 2011, 01:39:30 AM

That's Willham Hall. I think males were in Willham South, females in Willham North.

What wingpatch were you wearing then?

I only wore one wing patch, the same one that Neal White had. I remember Neal and I flying in slow formation talking on multicom over the flats of Oklahoma. CFEL was a lot of work, but it was a lot of fun. Did you go on the Cessna tour? Your memory is so good. I just have passing recollections.

Cindi

Quote from: Mitchell 1969 on October 03, 2011, 01:39:30 AM

You are right." Willham Hall - A twelve story coeducational residence hall complex, the most recent addition to modern university residence at Oklahoma State University, was completed in August of 1968 at a cost of 7.4 million. In the 1,553 resident capacity, high rise living areas, rooms with year 'round temperature control face the perimeter of the buildings, each with a large window. The inner core of design features carpeted halls and study lounges, elevators, and bath facilities on each floor. Residents have enclosed access to the centrally located dining and lounge area featuring such conveniences as carpeting, color television, postal service, snack bar, grill, cafeteria, and four dining areas." FROM A 1970 POSTCARD

Mitchell 1969:

Post your astronaut suit pictures. I remember i was in one shot helping Nora I think, but it looks like I was groping...I was really helping with a strap... great to see any pictures you have!

Mitchell 1969

I can hear it like it was yesterday...

"HOUSEKEEPER!"

I know who you are now. Will have to search for the photos.

Cindi

Quote from: Mitchell 1969 on October 03, 2011, 02:27:55 AM
I can hear it like it was yesterday...

"HOUSEKEEPER!"

I know who you are now. Will have to search for the photos.

LOL.  It was a stressful time. We got a lot of flying in and ground school in a month! Sorry to see the Cadet Flying Encampment License was discontinued.  Look forward to any photos you have of this era. Thanks!

ol'fido

Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006