2019 QCUA Report

Started by Gunsotsu, September 06, 2019, 04:18:43 AM

Gunsotsu

So, when will NHQ release the results?

Fester

I received an email today from NHQ/CP with preliminary results.
1stLt, CAP
Squadron CC
Group CPO
Eaker - 1996

Jester

They're posted on the QCUA page of gocivilairpatrol.

Ned

As others have indicated, we sent the initial results out yesterday.  Folks have until 9-19-19 to submit corrections and alibis.

We will publish the official results during the week of September 23rd. 

This year, and hopefully going forward, we will be sending both certificates and streamers to the wing headquarters for presentation.

Ned Lee
Col, CAP
National Cadet Program Manager

Gunsotsu

Quote from: Ned on September 06, 2019, 04:27:12 PM
As others have indicated, we sent the initial results out yesterday.  Folks have until 9-19-19 to submit corrections and alibis.

We will publish the official results during the week of September 23rd. 

This year, and hopefully going forward, we will be sending both certificates and streamers to the wing headquarters for presentation.

Ned Lee
Col, CAP
National Cadet Program Manager

You gonna send past streams as well? Seems only right.

Ned

As logical as that seems, we simply are not resourced to purchase streamers for past awards.

I took it as a victory that we were able to include it in our budget going forward.  Budgeting isn't glamorous work, but it is important.

The cadets and dedicated seniors in the units deserve it.

Eclipse

They should be sent direct to the Unit CCs - sending them to wing, especially in larger states,
means they will never get presented, or the Unit CC has to drive to the Wing CC's house or HQ.

"That Others May Zoom"

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Eclipse on September 06, 2019, 06:21:10 PM

They should be sent direct to the Unit CCs - sending them to wing, especially in larger states,
means they will never get presented, or the Unit CC has to drive to the Wing CC's house or HQ.

:clap:

SarDragon

Quote from: Eclipse on September 06, 2019, 06:21:10 PM

Here in our large wing, our big awards like this are presented at the wing conference, and arrangements are usually made for a representative from the receiving unit, or at worst the group, to attend.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eclipse

Quote from: SarDragon on September 06, 2019, 08:47:39 PM
Here in our large wing, our big awards like this are presented at the wing conference, and arrangements are usually made for a representative from the receiving unit, or at worst the group, to attend.

Yeah, a lot of wings do that, which is part of the problem, because if the streamer shows up the day after the conference,
it will sit for 1-2 years.

That's literally going to happen this year in my wing as the conference is the week before the awards are completed and
we won't have another conference for 2 years.

"That Others May Zoom"

Gunsotsu

Quote from: Ned on September 06, 2019, 06:16:54 PM
As logical as that seems, we simply are not resourced to purchase streamers for past awards.

I took it as a victory that we were able to include it in our budget going forward.  Budgeting isn't glamorous work, but it is important.

They do. They also deserve more than a "shrug, we tried" when they wonder about streamers recognizing the past nine, eight, seven, etc. years that they've also received the QCUA. At the very, VERY least you should have an avenue for those that've received multiple awards to purchase streamers recognizing past achievement. Anything less is worse than a half measure.

Eclipse

Quote from: Gunsotsu on September 06, 2019, 10:11:46 PM
Quote from: Ned on September 06, 2019, 06:16:54 PM

They do. They also deserve more than a "shrug, we tried" when they wonder about streamers recognizing the past nine, eight, seven, etc. years that they've also received the QCUA. At the very, VERY least you should have an avenue for those that've received multiple awards to purchase streamers recognizing past achievement. Anything less is worse than a half measure.

https://www.vanguardmil.com/products/civil-air-patrol-flag-quality-unit-streamer

My frustration was that during my second tour as Unit CC, we achieved it twice, and when I asked when the streamers were coming,
the responses, including from NHQ were to the effect of "what streamer?".  The verbiage about the award element
had been removed form the website, and I could not find anyone who had a clue as to where they came from.

2014 was the first and only year they were sent apparently, with zero notice in subsequent years they would not come from NHQ.
I think I found a Wayback machine copy of the QCUA site that had the verbiage in it, and only noticed about 4 months ago
that VG was carrying them now.

One of our members has an embroidery machine and we've been in discussions with Wing to run the whole
spreadsheet of catch-up streamers.  Cost is about $1.00 each when you buy a roll of the material.

"That Others May Zoom"

Gunsotsu

$25 a pop?!? (plus the exorbitant shipping costs) Gee, thanks NHQ. I know of several squadrons that'll love the idea of shelling out $100+ so they have all the streamers due to them. Better not to award them at all.  if you aren't going to provide the complete set.

Spaceman3750

I'm confused. The streamers are new this year right? Why would squadrons think they're "due" anything prior to this year?

Gunsotsu

As pointed out, NHQ is sending out this year's to unit's that've earned them. And apparently they did in 2014 per Eclipse, but my unit never received it. And furthermore, Vanguard sells them for $25 a pop.

So, NHQ has decided to award them to units that've earned them, but not reward them to past recipients or for past years. And those units will have to use their own funds if they want them, all to further pad Scamguard's pockets.   

SarDragon

From https://www.gocivilairpatrol.com/programs/cadets/cpo/quality-cadet-unit-award ,

QuoteAWARD ELEMENTS Cadet and composite squadrons that qualify for the Quality Cadet Unit Award will receive the following:
1.  An award emblem for the unit's website, letterhead, recruiting materials, and other publications.
2.  A certificate that will be presented by wing headquarters at an appropriate venue
Streamer element is not provided by NHQ.  Wings or units may choose to purchase the streamer from Vanguard.

If NHQ is actually giving out streamers this year, they probably had a few extra dollars in the budget to allow this. Let's move on.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret