Main Menu

Criminal record & CAP

Started by Daniel, August 02, 2009, 06:14:26 AM

Daniel

Who knows CAPs policy on felonies and can answer me a question?
C/Capt Daniel L, CAP
Wright Brothers No. 12670
Mitchell No. 59781
Earhart No. 15416

a2capt

How did we go from an assumed violation of the chain to felony? ;-)

As excerpted from the knowledgebase: http://tinyurl.com/capmemberreq

d. Suitability. Subject to being waived by the Executive Director or National Commander, any one of the following may be the basis for rejection of membership.
1) Conviction of a felony by any court of record whether federal, state or military.
2) A pattern of arrests and/or convictions including but not limited to sex offenses, child abuse, DUIs, dishonesty and violence.
3) Discharge from the armed services under other than honorable conditions.
4) Falsification of information on the membership application.
5) Previously terminated or non renewed for cause from membership in CAP.
6) Any other unfavorable information brought to the attention of CAP officials at any level.

The director or National CC are the final authority.

Daniel

Quote from: a2capt on August 02, 2009, 06:32:30 AM
How did we go from an assumed violation of the chain to felony? ;-)

I've obv been a bad cadet a very bad cadet :-(

Naa. Its a recruiting question
C/Capt Daniel L, CAP
Mitchell No. 59781
Earhart No. 15416

Spike

Quote from: Daniel L on August 02, 2009, 06:14:26 AM
Who knows CAPs policy on felonies and can answer me a question?

Ask us............

Daniel

C/Capt Daniel L, CAP
Mitchell No. 59781
Earhart No. 15416

Airrace

They won't be allowed to join CAP with  Conviction of a felony by any court of record whether federal, state or military.

All Senior members are finger printed and a background check is run on them. If a felony conviction shows up the will not be allowed membership. It means to protect the cadets.

Eclipse

Quote from: Airrace on August 04, 2009, 03:14:25 AM
They won't be allowed to join CAP with  Conviction of a felony by any court of record whether federal, state or military.

All Senior members are finger printed and a background check is run on them. If a felony conviction shows up the will not be allowed membership. It means to protect the cadets.

It for the protection of everyone; members, our customers, and not to be forgotten, the corporation, and that includes our reputation and relationship with Big Bro Blue.  There's all sorts of badness  out there and its not limited to issues involving children.

"That Others May Zoom"

Ned

Quote from: Airrace on August 04, 2009, 03:14:25 AM

Most felons are not accepted for membership.

But some are.  It is entirely up to the Executive Director and the National Commander.

Just like it says in the regulation.

Duke Dillio

^100% concur

It depends on the situation, the crime involved, the time since it happened, etc.

Yes, even Martha Stewart might be able to join CAP... (maybe)

davidsinn

Quote from: Sqn72DO on August 04, 2009, 03:42:16 PM
^100% concur

It depends on the situation, the crime involved, the time since it happened, etc.

Yes, even Martha Stewart might be able to join CAP... (maybe)

Just not as a finance officer  >:D
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Eclipse

Civil Air Patrol membership, especially at initial application, requires the concurrence of a Squadron CC, which means that an application bounced for a felony conviction (or any other reason) would require that same CC to champion the appeal to NHQ.

Something which I personally would rarely consider, especially for someone I didn't know.

"That Others May Zoom"

capchiro

I had a senior member that had been convicted of vehicular homicide apply.  It had happened years before.  He sent supporting documentation about the conviction and was given membership status.  That was about 4 years ago.
Lt. Col. Harry E. Siegrist III, CAP
Commander
Sweetwater Comp. Sqdn.
GA154

MSG Mac

Quote from: Eclipse on August 04, 2009, 04:17:01 PM
Civil Air Patrol membership, especially at initial application, requires the concurrence of a Squadron CC, which means that an application bounced for a felony conviction (or any other reason) would require that same CC to champion the appeal to NHQ.

Something which I personally would rarely consider, especially for someone I didn't know.

Actually,  if the member admitted to the conviction on his application and gave full details along with an endorsement from the commanders involved. According to conversations with members of National staff several years ago, if it was a one time event, it was mentioned on the application, and didn't involve drugs, violence, or moral turpitude, it may be accepted.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

flydoggy

Its important to give full details of crime in writing,when applying for membership.
Lt.Albright

Johnny Yuma

Quote from: capchiro on August 04, 2009, 04:58:49 PM
I had a senior member that had been convicted of vehicular homicide apply.  It had happened years before.  He sent supporting documentation about the conviction and was given membership status.  That was about 4 years ago.

In most states a vehicular homicide is a misdemeanor. Technically not necessarily disqualifying but I'm certain will raise eyebrows.

One can probably forget a CAPF 75 for a little while...
"And Saint Attila raised the Holy Hand Grenade up on high saying, "Oh Lord, Bless us this Holy Hand Grenade, and with it smash our enemies to tiny bits. And the Lord did grin, and the people did feast upon the lambs, and stoats, and orangutans, and breakfast cereals, and lima bean-"

" Skip a bit, brother."

"And then the Lord spake, saying: "First, shalt thou take out the holy pin. Then shalt thou count to three. No more, no less. "Three" shall be the number of the counting, and the number of the counting shall be three. "Four" shalt thou not count, and neither count thou two, execpting that thou then goest on to three. Five is RIGHT OUT. Once the number three, being the third number be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade to-wards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuffit. Amen."

Armaments Chapter One, verses nine through twenty-seven:

Orville_third

Would the issuance of a pardon by a governor or the President help in allowing someone to join CAP?
Captain Orville Eastland, CAP
Squadron Historian
Public Affairs Officer
Greenville Composite Squadron
SC Wing

Cecil DP

Quote from: Orville_third on August 11, 2009, 01:35:56 AM
Would the issuance of a pardon by a governor or the President help in allowing someone to join CAP?

Yes, a pardon nullifies the conviction. But since it will still come up as a hit on the FBI screening, it should be addressed with the circumstances and a copy of the pardon if possible.
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

Gunner C

I saw a member once who had a governor's pardon for child abuse - he was still allowed to join.

Daniel

Quote from: Gunner C on August 12, 2009, 02:27:30 AM
I saw a member once who had a governor's pardon for child abuse - he was still allowed to join.

A pardon still means you did it, doesn't it?
C/Capt Daniel L, CAP
Mitchell No. 59781
Earhart No. 15416

Cecil DP

A pardon means that the record has been expunged!That it has been officially erased. child abuse covers a wide area, ranging from spanking your child to pedaphilia. If a Governor gave a pardon, it must have been a  minor offense. (Pun not intended). despite that if he is a member, he still would have popped up in the FBI screening and had to explain it when he joined.
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85