Cadet reinstatement with prior grade

Started by ascorbate, December 02, 2009, 02:28:29 PM

ascorbate

Our squadron has a former cadet (who fell off the membership rolls about 1 year ago) who is interested in rejoining but will only consider doing so if his prior cadet achievements (thru TSgt) are reinstated. I searched this forum and CAPR 35-5 which notes the following (which seems to apply to senior officers):

3-8. Former Members. A former member may be reinstated to the same grade held prior to voluntary membership termination, provided he or she qualifies for that grade under current criteria (including applicable senior member professional development criteria). A recommendation for such reinstatement is neither automatic nor mandatory. If approved, the appointment will not be retroactive, and the date of grade will be the date validated by National Headquarters upon reinstatement.

Does Section 3-8 (above) apply to both cadet and senior officers or is there something somewhere else that covers cadet reinstatement(s) separately?
Dr. Mark A. Kukucka, Lt Col, CAP
Missions Directorate (A7), MD-001
Carl A. Spaatz Award #569
Gill Robb Wilson Award #3004

davidsinn

Quote from: ascorbate on December 02, 2009, 02:28:29 PM
Our squadron has a former cadet (who fell off the membership rolls about 1 year ago) who is interested in rejoining but will only consider doing so if his prior cadet achievements (thru TSgt) are reinstated. I search this forum and CAPR 35-5 which notes the following (which seems to apply to senior officers):

3-8. Former Members. A former member may be reinstated to the same grade held prior to voluntary membership termination, provided he or she qualifies for that grade under current criteria (including applicable senior member professional development criteria). A recommendation for such reinstatement is neither automatic nor mandatory. If approved, the appointment will not be retroactive, and the date of grade will be the date validated by National Headquarters upon reinstatement.

Does Section 3-8 (above) apply to both cadet and senior officers or is there something somewhere else that covers cadet reinstatement(s) separately?

It should all be in his records in your file system so just reinstate him at C/TSgt with a date of rank of now.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Major Lord

CAPR 39-2 Chapter 4 (1) an (2) may be interesting to you. You are not obligated to accept the Cadet, or his past grade an achievements, but there is nothing to prevent you from accepting the Cadet if as the Squadron Commander you want him/her and they are not disqualified under any other provision of regs (2b'd, Active Duty, Crminal convictions, etc)

Maj Lord

"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

lordmonar

Quote from: Major Lord on December 02, 2009, 05:05:00 PM
CAPR 39-2 Chapter 4 (1) an (2) may be interesting to you. You are not obligated to accept the Cadet, or his past grade an achievements, but there is nothing to prevent you from accepting the Cadet if as the Squadron Commander you want him/her and they are not disqualified under any other provision of regs (2b'd, Active Duty, Crminal convictions, etc)

Maj Lord

Sorry sir....but I think you mis-read that.

Quote1) Cadets rejoining after a break in service will be credited with previous accomplishments as evidenced in their personnel files

So if you accept the cadet renewing, and they have their records....you must accept their accomplishment and rank.

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

FW

Um I think Maj Lord is correct.  Here is the paragraph in 39-2:
a.  Cadets not renewing within 90 days following their membership expiration date have the option of rejoining (through their unit of assignment providing they still meet the initial membership eligibility criteria), or late renewing. Late renewals will be accepted up to 180 days from the expiration date and are subject to acceptance by the unit and higher headquarters and payment of retroactive membership dues.
1) Cadets rejoining after a break in service will be credited with previous accomplishments as evidenced in their personnel files.

A year is more than 6 months however, If the unit commander approves, I don't think anyone will mind

Short Field

What is the difference between "late renewing" and "rejoining"?   Late renewing implies the membership is not considered to have had a break in service.  Rejoining implies there was a break in service.  Can anyone clarify?
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

jimmydeanno

Quote from: Short Field on December 02, 2009, 08:03:15 PM
What is the difference between "late renewing" and "rejoining"?   Late renewing implies the membership is not considered to have had a break in service.  Rejoining implies there was a break in service.  Can anyone clarify?

Late renewing = "Oops I forgot to send my check in"

Rejoining = "I quit a while back and I'd like to come back"
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Short Field

Quote from: jimmydeanno on December 02, 2009, 08:05:47 PM
Late renewing = "Oops I forgot to send my check in"
Rejoining = "I quit a while back and I'd like to come back"

So is "Late renewing" considered a break in service? Rejoining seems clear in the regs.  I think Lordmonar is right.  If the Cadet ever earned it, he still has it if allowed to renew or rejoin.

Quote from: FW on December 02, 2009, 07:51:23 PM
1) Cadets rejoining after a break in service will be credited with previous accomplishments as evidenced in their personnel files.
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

FW

If you did not renew your membership by the expiration date on your membership card, you are no longer a member.  Late renewing and rejoining are the same thing (basically) however, between 90 and 180 days after expiration of membership, you must get approval of your unit commander and higher HQ. (usually wing/cc).  After 180 days, your considered a new member and pretty much out of luck; unless a kind squadron commander takes pity on the cadet and cuts them a break. 
YMMV. 

Cecil DP

You are no longer a member on the 1st day of the month, following your renewal date. (If your renewal date is 30 Nov, you're a non-member on the 1st of December). Late renewal means that you can rejoin with your original renewal date. Rejoining is anyone deciding to rejoin after any break in membership.
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

FW

You will see a distinct differentiation between cadets and seniors.  Cadets get up to 180 days to rejoin.  Seniors get up to 2 years.  After that, it takes very special dispensation (usually from NHQ) to "rejoin".  Yes, it is possible however, it is not usual; is an exception to the rule and, does not happen very often. 

After the above time limits, CAPR 35-5 would probably apply to the cadet.

A cadet who joins again after 1 year is not entitled to anything unless the above criteria is met.  However, I would let him have it after a "review" session with the unit CP officer no matter what.

YMMV

Eclipse

Seniors may get 2 years on a renewal where they can assume they will get back what they had before, but after 90 days they have to submit a new fingerprint card.

See 39-2 for details as well as the two ICL's that apply.

"That Others May Zoom"

lordmonar

Note please that the REWAL option make the "break in service" disappear (and they have to pay all their back dues).  A rejoin does not.

All of this is beside the point......cadets retain their rank and acheivments no matter how long the break in service.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Cecil DP

Quote from: lordmonar on December 03, 2009, 02:04:31 AM
Note please that the REWAL option make the "break in service" disappear (and they have to pay all their back dues).  A rejoin does not.

All of this is beside the point......cadets retain their rank and acheivments no matter how long the break in service.

If they can prove they reached that grade. IE A cadet rejoins and only has an Earhardt award showing, but claims he was a C/LTC. He will be reinstated as a C/CPT, unless he can show a F59-2 showing the higher grade was signed off.
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

FW

It's amazing how the English language makes for such variations of the same theme.  We are, after all basically saying the same thing :)