Main Menu

Demotions/Bad Cadets

Started by atcmainz, March 12, 2015, 11:41:53 AM

atcmainz

Hi everyone, in my squadron I have a cadet (a CMS) who is showing all the typical signs of a bored high level NCO. However, this particular NCO is causing problems within the squadron, from disrupting cadets during activities, to butting into other flights' drill time, etc. My biggest concern is not his current behavior, but his rank. The worst thing would be if he became an officer, and then he would be riding his high horse as an officer, which would be even worse than having him stay at his position. My questions for you all, is how are problem cadets dealt with? I, along with many other officers have spoken to him, the senior members know about this, but nothing seems to be changing. I would like to see some more drastic action taken, so how does that drastic action happen? Thanks!

Al Sayre

From your post, I gather that you are a Cadet Officer.  Frankly, it will depend on how your CDC and CC run their Cadet Program.  If you are in charge of the cadet staffing, you could change his responsibilities i.e. remove him from a Flight Sergeant position for example.  If your CDC or CC makes out the Cadet org chart, they are going to need to deal with the problem. I recommend that you and the other Cadet Officers that see this as a problem have a meeting with your Senior Member Chain of Command and let them handle it.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

Tim Day

Lt,

Ask yourself, how does your Cadet Commander intend to handle it?

Typically if there is an issue with a cadet's performance, we want to complete the appropriate CAPF 50- series with a specific suggestion for the cadet to correct by a specific date, not more than a month or two down the road. Our squadron has done this over the past couple of years. The feedback form gives the cadet a fair chance to correct the behavior.

If you have already spoken to your C/CC and he hasn't elevated the issue to the CDC, you have a decision to make. Do you bypass him and go direct to the CDC or do you abide by his decision?

There exist circumstances under which you'd bypass your C/CC, but they are not very common. An example would be if any of the subject C/CMSgt's actions might be considered abusive, hazing, or boundary violations (see the new Cadet Protection training).

Keep in mind you may not know all of the behind-the-scenes actions that are taking place. This is a leadership challenge but knowing you and your C/CC, not one you aren't equipped and supported to handle. Evaluating, providing feedback on, and correcting performance issues is one of the most difficult responsibilities assigned to leaders. Most organizations don't do a very good job in this area.

I recommend you bring it up at your next all-officers leadership training discussion.   
Tim Day
Lt Col CAP
Prince William Composite Squadron Commander

rmutchler

When I was a Squadron CC, I really only had 1 automatic demotion thing that I made abundantly clear - horseplay on a flight line.  If you were caught in that on a flight line, it was an automatic demotion.  No questions asked.  Everyone was aware of it and during my tenure, I never had to invoke the rule, but it was there to ensure the safety of everyone.

I would encourage you to use your chain of command.  I would talk to my Cadet Commander about cadets and take their feedback to heart before signing off on a promotion.  Depending on what is going on, sometimes the Cadet Commander would even be on a promotion board to provide their feedback directly as well.  They knew they could speak their mind and it would be listened to.  Some CC's are different, but I would like to think I am with the majority on that.