How long does it typically take for senior member applications to be processed?

Started by aviator9417, March 09, 2014, 07:04:04 PM

aviator9417

I mailed in my senior member application about 1 week ago.  I was wondering how long it takes for the application to be processed.  I have heard the background check can take anywhere from a week to a month =(  I don't have any civil or criminal involvements and am an ROTC cadet in college so everything should check out it's just a waiting game I guess...

EDIT: Also I was a prior cadet in CAP but that was about 2-3 years ago.
Assistant Information Technology Officer
Chino Cadet Squadron 20
California Wing, Group 3
sq20.cawgcap.org

PHall

Eclipse

1-3 weeks depending on workload at NHQ, etc.

The Command Council meeting likely slowed things down.

"That Others May Zoom"

FlyTiger77

Quote from: PHall on March 09, 2014, 07:10:58 PM
You mailed it???  Normally the unit mails it. :o

While your statement is quite true, the regulation leaves the onus of mailing the completed application, fingerprint card and check on the prospective member. I would invite your attention to CAPR 39-2 para 3-5(b)(3).
JACK E. MULLINAX II, Lt Col, CAP

PHall

Quote from: FlyTiger77 on March 09, 2014, 07:31:41 PM

While your statement is quite true, the regulation leaves the onus of mailing the completed application, fingerprint card and check on the prospective member. I would invite your attention to CAPR 39-2 para 3-5(b)(3).

Never said it was "wrong", just observed that it was "unusual".  Plus having the prospective member mail it eliminates a quality control opportunity for one last check of all of the paperwork before it's placed in the care of the USPS. But hey, it's not my paperwork that gets bounced back by NHQ.

aviator9417

Quote from: PHall on March 09, 2014, 08:33:23 PM
Quote from: FlyTiger77 on March 09, 2014, 07:31:41 PM

Never said it was "wrong", just observed that it was "unusual".  Plus having the prospective member mail it eliminates a quality control opportunity for one last check of all of the paperwork before it's placed in the care of the USPS. But hey, it's not my paperwork that gets bounced back by NHQ.

The application was completed at the Squadron and the prints were done there as well.  The only reason I mailed it was because I didn't have a check or enough cash on me and I didn't want to wait another week to start getting my application processed.
Assistant Information Technology Officer
Chino Cadet Squadron 20
California Wing, Group 3
sq20.cawgcap.org

rmutchler

If things are in order, I have seen them processed in a few days.  If it is wrong, it will be kicked back to the unit mailing address.

I usually send mine certified mail...a couple extra bucks, but gives it tracking so you know it gets there.

AirDX

Once received at NHQ, it usually only takes a day or two.  They like to cash those checks.  It can take a couple of business days longer if something else is going, like, as someone pointed out, the command council meeting.

Have someone in your unit check in eServices every day or so.  Once you appear on the rolls, they can give you your CAPID # and you can log in to eServices and get started.

Your background check will show in PENDING status for a while, but they won't hold up entering you in the system while the background check goes through. 
Believe in fate, but lean forward where fate can see you.

antdetroitwallyball

I literally just got my ID CARD (which I assume means I'm in, right). I mailed the application first week of FEB, got my CAPID literally one week later, got my ID Card less than 26 days later.

BTW: I too, mailed in my own application. Things I did to speed up process:
1) Called and paid with credit card
2) Overnighted (via fedex) membership application to NHQ.

To it's credit, CAP NHQ is actually pretty efficient with getting new members processed. The CGAUX takes a lot longer. You get your "Employee ID Number" within 90 days (which allows you to start participating while waiting for background check to finish), but the background check is a standard Security Form 85, which is the standard background check done for any federal employee. The paperwork has to go through the US Office of Personnel Managment, which takes like 6-8 months. Sucks...