Is SMWOG still around or has it been canned?

Started by aviator9417, January 19, 2014, 01:57:21 AM

aviator9417

I am in the process of joining a squadron as a SM and I think I either read somewhere or heard from someone that the squadron meeting that SMWOG was getting canned or was canned.  Also the squadron CC said I was going to be a flight officer.  I am assuming he meant FO instead of 2LT as I am under 21 and not that I was not going to be SMWOG.  So anyways I was wondering if SMWOG is still a thing or if in the newest regulations if they got rid of it?
Assistant Information Technology Officer
Chino Cadet Squadron 20
California Wing, Group 3
sq20.cawgcap.org

FW

When you join, you become a senior member without grade (SMWOG) until you're promoted.  Nothing has changed. Since you are under 21, you will become a FO after you complete level 1 of the senior member PD program. Welcome to CAP!

EMT-83

CAPR 35-5 spells it out pretty clearly; it was updated this month.

a2capt

You're SMWOG when you join, once you complete Level I, by whatever means you do it, (proof of equivalency, actually doing it, etc.), you get promoted to 2Lt or FO if under 21. Easy peasy.

aviator9417

Quote from: a2capt on January 19, 2014, 04:03:22 AM
You're SMWOG when you join, once you complete Level I, by whatever means you do it, (proof of equivalency, actually doing it, etc.), you get promoted to 2Lt or FO if under 21. Easy peasy.

Thanks! Why is senior side called the dark side?
Assistant Information Technology Officer
Chino Cadet Squadron 20
California Wing, Group 3
sq20.cawgcap.org

a2capt

Start under 18, you're a cadet.
Start at 18 and you can choose between cadet and senior member (FO grades)
Start at 19 and your a senior member.

The dark side? Mostly in jest. Once you cross the line, you can't ever go back.

You can't do those cadet things, as a cadet. Anyway. But .. you can do lots of -other- stuff that they can't, eventually.

SarDragon

SMWOG, as an acronym/initialism, is a member invention. It exists nowhere in any regulation. The phrase "senior member without grade" (no caps), does, and refers to those senior members who are neither officers nor NCOs. The grade abbreviation used in those areas where a distinction is necessary, primarily forms and eServices, is SM.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Panache

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

a2capt

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: aviator9417 on January 19, 2014, 04:35:48 AM
Thanks! Why is senior side called the dark side?

You don't know the power of the dark side...
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

fokkerfrenzy

While the acronym isn't used that I've seen, I HAVE seen the phrase senior member without grade in the regs several times, I believe.

Luis R. Ramos

Foker-

That is what SARDragon posted!

The regulations refer to smwog to differentiate between senior members with grade and senior members without.

Some senior members have taken that as SMWOG, as a new grade. Completely false. No such a thing as SMWOG as a grade.

Flyer
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

MSG Mac

Cadets think it's the Dark Side. The Senior Member's know it's the TECHNOCOLOR side! Think he Wizard of Oz when the black and white movie turned to color . B+W=Cadets: Technocolor= Seniors.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

The CyBorg is destroyed

They go from being Sith Apprentices to Sith Lords. >:D

Seriously, I think the (non)grade needs to be changed.

Calling someone "Senior Member (insert name)" sounds like you're ready for Geritol, Centrum Silver and Metamucil - and this is from someone rapidly approaching that age demographic...
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

PHall

Quote from: CyBorg on January 20, 2014, 12:57:06 AM
Calling someone "Senior Member (insert name)" sounds like you're ready for Geritol, Centrum Silver and Metamucil - and this is from someone rapidly approaching that age demographic...

Obviously you didn't get the memo about how growing older is mandatory but that growing up is optional. >:D

EMT-83

After 3 months you are eligible for promotion to Flight Officer, or 6 months for Second Lieutenant, depending on which is appropriate. Nothing is automatic.

lordmonar

Quote from: EMT-83 on January 20, 2014, 02:29:03 AM

After 3 months you are eligible for promotion to Flight Officer, or 6 months for Second Lieutenant, depending on which is appropriate. Nothing is automatic.
Or if you are getting a professional promotion (CFI, Doctors, prior military).....as soon as you complete level I and you paper work gets approved.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: PHall on January 20, 2014, 02:22:28 AM
Quote from: CyBorg on January 20, 2014, 12:57:06 AM

Obviously you didn't get the memo about how growing older is mandatory but that growing up is optional. >:D

Rim shot.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011