Main Menu

NJ CAP Flying Tempo

Started by Avi8tor, October 23, 2013, 04:06:01 AM

Avi8tor

Recently got stationed at McGuire AFB and was looking at trying to become a qualified mission pilot. Was curious which squadrons are most active in the area. Will probably be living in Mt. Laurel near South Jersey Regional.

Private Investigator

You really need to visit three Squadrons and see how it fits to you. What I think is the best flying Squadron may be just the opposite in your opinion.

I spent a few months in Lakehurst and it was a pleasant winter.   8)

ZigZag911

There is a squadron @ McGuire...also, NJW HQ. A couple of others in the area. Twin Pine squadron meets at Trenton-Mercer Airport, has always done a lot of flying, training, ops.

planenut767

Well if you're going to be living near South Jersey Regional, Air Victory Squadron is probably worth checking out. I know nearly all the MX on NJ wing A/C are performed there, so there should be some flying opportunities via TMP utilization. There are also squadron's at Lakewood and Miller Air Park, but I'm not sure what aircraft disposition is.

Huey Driver

Both Wing HQ and McGuire Composite Squadron meet at the same building on base, and there's always activity there. However, NJWG rarely operates aircraft at JB MDL. Hurricane Sandy was an exception, as that's where we sheltered out aircraft.

To become an MP you'll have aircraft close by at either VAY or TTN, and you may have to go to SMQ due to instructor location and other factors.
With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right...

SarDragon

Quote from: Private Investigator on October 23, 2013, 06:54:25 AM
You really need to visit three Squadrons and see how it fits to you. What I think is the best flying Squadron may be just the opposite in your opinion.

YGBSM! I spent 13 winters in NJ, including 3 at Lakehurst, and none of them were pleasant. Nada. Zero.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Private Investigator

Quote from: SarDragon on October 23, 2013, 09:41:52 PM
Quote from: Private Investigator on October 23, 2013, 06:54:25 AM

YGBSM! I spent 13 winters in NJ, including 3 at Lakehurst, and none of them were pleasant. Nada. Zero.

Dave, I was comparing it to Korea on the DMZ in February.

SarDragon

Wellllll... maybe I'll give you that one. Maybe.  >:D
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret