Double dipping... for CAP promotions/awards

Started by ascorbate, May 27, 2013, 03:12:33 PM

ascorbate

Is there a place in CAP regulations where this subject might be discussed?
Dr. Mark A. Kukucka, Lt Col, CAP
Missions Directorate (A7), MD-001
Carl A. Spaatz Award #569
Gill Robb Wilson Award #3004

lordmonar

You need to define your terms.....what to you mean by double dipping for CAP promotions/awards?
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Eclipse

We've actually got an open thread about this right now. 39-3 prohibits it for decorations, but not for promotions, which would be 35-5.

You'll have to be more specific for any sort of meaningful discussion.

"That Others May Zoom"

ascorbate

For example, an appropriately-rated "A&P mechanic" is initially promoted to 1st Lt (as outlined in CAPR 35-5); a year later, the same member has been put in for a promotion to Captain because he is an A&P mechanic with Inspection Authorization. Would the use of the "A&P mechanic" rating/certification appear as a double dip if used once for promotion to 1st Lt... and then a second time for promotion to Captain?

Critical AOA

The A&P gets you 1st LT.  The IA is what gets you Captain.  It is not double dipping.  It is considered a subsequent promotion based on the additional skill.

Quote4-1. General. In recognition of certain special skills and qualifications earned outside CAP, but which are directly related to the CAP mission, certain senior members are eligible for initial appointment and subsequent promotion to a grade commensurate with these skills, provided they are contributing these skills to the CAP mission. Promotion procedures are outlined in paragraph 1-8c.
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."   - George Bernard Shaw

lordmonar

Quote from: David Vandenbroeck on May 27, 2013, 03:43:34 PM
The A&P gets you 1st LT.  The IA is what gets you Captain.  It is not double dipping.  It is considered a subsequent promotion based on the additional skill.

Quote4-1. General. In recognition of certain special skills and qualifications earned outside CAP, but which are directly related to the CAP mission, certain senior members are eligible for initial appointment and subsequent promotion to a grade commensurate with these skills, provided they are contributing these skills to the CAP mission. Promotion procedures are outlined in paragraph 1-8c.
+1

If the rule fits.......you must commit.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Eclipse

As indicated, it's the IA that makes him eligible for Captain.

However, unless he's coincidentally a mechanic wherever your wing gets it's consolidated MX done, and he's doing it for free, then
I'd ask how that skill is being used to CAP benefit in a way that merit's a second advanced promotion.  Note the 4.1 provision
above that indicates "contributing these skills to the CAP mission".

For the record, I'd ask the same of an MD not serving as HSO, a lawyer not serving as legal officer, of a pilot not flying for CAP.
These provisions are suppose to recognize advanced value as a member, not ways to bypass the normal system of progression just for the sake of it.

"That Others May Zoom"

ascorbate

Reading on in CAPR 35-5...

Section D, Paragraph 4-2 (f):
"After initial appointment, members may advance to the grades authorized for higher mission related skills as higher ratings are obtained without reference to time-in-grade upon recommendation by the unit commander."

I believe I found my answer!

Critical AOA

Quote from: ascorbate on May 27, 2013, 03:54:27 PM
Reading on in CAPR 35-5...

Section D, Paragraph 4-2 (f):
"After initial appointment, members may advance to the grades authorized for higher mission related skills as higher ratings are obtained without reference to time-in-grade upon recommendation by the unit commander."

I believe I found my answer!

Yep, that goes hand-in-hand with the quote from the section I posted. 
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."   - George Bernard Shaw

Private Investigator

Quote from: lordmonar on May 27, 2013, 03:49:06 PM
Quote from: David Vandenbroeck on May 27, 2013, 03:43:34 PM

+1

If the rule fits.......you must commit.

:clap: