Main Menu

CAP general experiences

Started by baqqqia, May 15, 2011, 06:55:25 PM

ThatOneGuy

Like flyboy said, any organization is going to have a share of ups and down, CAP included. I can say that in my 2 years in CAP, I have thought of quitting more than once. I almost did it, but just couldn't bring myself to. Like several people have already said, you get out of CAP what you put in. It does take a large portion of your time away from you, but it is well worth it. CAP is a unique organization, as it incorporates Aerospace and Cadet Programs (NCSAs, Encampments, etc.) and ES, all in one. In addition, unlike ROTC, we have Senior Members, who are great resources to the program. It's just my opinion, but CAP it a great organization, and I do not think there is another one like it out there. It may be a pain at times, but the benefits far outweigh the costs. Just my personal opinion.

CT074CC

I hope I can contribute to the conversation having been both a Cadet and a Senior Member.  As a Cadet, I joined when I was 13.  It was the one thing that literally saved my life.  I won't go into too many details, but without CAP, I would not be who I am today in many ways.  As a Cadet, I learned the ins and outs of CAP.  I held every cadet position possible, including Cadet Commander of the summer Encampment.  I loved CAP, and still do!  My only regret was that I stayed a Cadet NCO for too long and didn't have time to get past Cadet Captain, but we all learn our lessons.

Now, I agree with the pay it forward statement.  I believe I can never leave CAP, I owe it to future members, Cadets and Seniors for what I have received.

I would also suggest visiting other squadrons to see what their "charism" is.  I've noticed that most squadrons have a specific speciality.  Some are really involved in flying and others are excellent and specialize in Emergency Services.  Figure out what your passion is, it sounds like it is flying, so try and find a squadron that's really involved in flying and maybe even has an aircraft.

Now I serve as the Administration Officer and ES Officer, and it truly gives me a chance to serve and give back.  I can only commit to about two meetings a month, sometimes less, sometimes more because of my work schedule, but everyone knows the deal and are happy when I can be there.  You have to have a passion for CAP, but you also have to be realistic with your own work and family commitments.

Good luck, and I hope you find a good squadron!

Persona non grata

This a great organization to join and I have good and bad experiences in it as both a cadet and senior member.  I made a pledge when I was a cadet that I would stick with CAP and try to make positive change when I became a Senior .  With any type of group you are going to have personality conflicts.  The bottom line is that CAP needs leadership that is no bull.  We just need some straight shooters   I would encourage any person to accept the challenge and join and bring new out look to CAP .  Make your squadron great because it is the heart of CAP!
Rock, Flag & Eagle.........