Online equivalent of Regional Staff College

Started by ascorbate, May 10, 2010, 01:22:51 PM

ascorbate

The RSC in my region was recently canceled for this year   :-\

But I have heard that there is an online equivalent available... could someone point me to the relevant info?

And while you're at it... what other regions are definitely hosting RSCs this year?
Dr. Mark A. Kukucka, Lt Col, CAP
Missions Directorate (A7), MD-001
Carl A. Spaatz Award #569
Gill Robb Wilson Award #3004

Al Sayre

I'm going to the SER RSC in Knoxville, it starts July 4th.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

JC004

You mean the former ECI/AFIADL equivalent?  Check out the chart towards to back of 50-17.

Capt_Redfox30

Great Lakes at Grissom Air Reserve Base, IN is 18-24  July.  I went last year, I thought it was ok, could have been better, but could have been worse as well.   
Kirk Thirtyacre, Lt Col, CAP
(Acting) Group Commander
Group 3 HQ

Cecil DP

There is a list of alternative equivalents in Attachment 2 of CAPR 50-17
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

ascorbate

I believe I may have found a RSC equivalent... http://www.au.af.mil/au/soc/course_20.html

Anyone know how long it takes to complete this course?

davedove

^ A lot longer than the week required for RSC. ;)

I'm in the same boat you are.  I was one of the 10 who had signed up. :'(
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Seniors
Personnel/PD/Asst. Testing Officer
Ground Team Leader
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

dwb

SOS non-resident course should take you 6-12 months depending on how often you study.  When I took SOS (I took the previous version of the curriculum, Course 28) I completed it in about five months, but I really hustled to get it done.  For the last two units, I studied seven days a week.

If you can make another RSC, you should go for it.  I did SOS in lieu of RSC because I knew I wouldn't be able to use vacation for RSC, and I wanted to complete my Garber.

ascorbate

Quote from: davedove on May 10, 2010, 07:05:31 PM
^ A lot longer than the week required for RSC. ;)

I kinda figured that... but I wanted to ask to be sure.

So that leaves me with attending either:

http://nhplm.org/_nersc1 at McGuire AFB, NJ (9-17 July 2010)
or
http://sercap.us/rsc.aspx in Knoxville, TN (4-9 July 2010)

Anyone care to comment on the learning experiences from either one or both of these Regional Staff Colleges?

Al Sayre

Well if you go to SER you get the pleasure of my august company. >:D  Actually I've heard it's pretty good from other folks who attended there.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
GRW #2787

dwb

I know about a dozen people who have attended the Northeast Region Staff College, and all of them have given it rave reviews.

ascorbate

Well, I'm torn between "Al's company" and the "rave reviews"... I need more data points! :P

flyboy53

Quote from: ascorbate on May 10, 2010, 06:26:45 PM
I believe I may have found a RSC equivalent... http://www.au.af.mil/au/soc/course_20.html

Anyone know how long it takes to complete this course?

This is what I did as an alternate to RSC. I found it to be more rewarding and the certificate counts for college credit when RSC attendance doesn't. Also, you will have the distinction of being an SOS graduate...like quite a few other Spaatz alumni.

It takes 18 months (that's how much time the Air Force allows: I did it in 13) and is a lot more intensive because of the college credit. The other big plus is that it doesn't cost you ANYTHING, just your time.

While no one really says it, I believe the CAP PD focus is for the competion of courses like this. Graduates get to wear a bronze star device on their Garber Awards. ACSC and AWC graduates wear the appropriate devices on their Wilson Awards.

The curriculum is a little dry, however, as a Spaatz cadet who is a doctor, you know all about academic intensity. This isn't quite to the level of your education, but I will guarantee that you will find it informative, rewarding and challenging.

Hope this helps.

coudano

SOS correspondance sucks.
Avoid it if you can.  Seriously, just find a RSC to go to.

Cecil DP

Quote from: ascorbate on May 10, 2010, 07:45:49 PM
Well, I'm torn between "Al's company" and the "rave reviews"... I need more data points! :P

NER is a lot closer than going to Knoxville, but the lodging costs are also much higher at Maguire.
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

Al Sayre

Quote from: ascorbate on May 10, 2010, 07:45:49 PM

What my company isn't enough reason? :'(
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
GRW #2787

NC Hokie

Quote from: coudano on May 11, 2010, 09:24:45 PM
Would you care to elaborate on that?  Why does it suck?  Is it too hard?  Too easy?  What?
NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

Graduated Squadron Commander
All Around Good Guy

Short Field

Quote from: NC Hokie on May 11, 2010, 10:52:49 PM
Would you care to elaborate on that?  Why does it suck?  Is it too hard?  Too easy?  What?
Just tedious.  I almost completed it the first time I enrolled then let the time run out before I took the final test.  I was overseas and had lots of stuff going on.  The second time I enrolled, I completed it in about 90 days.  I later attended the in-residence course and there was no comparison between the two courses outside of the course material was kind of similar.
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

coudano

Quote from: NC Hokie on May 11, 2010, 10:52:49 PM
Quote from: coudano on May 11, 2010, 09:24:45 PM

Without violating test disclosure rules,

It's tedious.
It's dry.
It's voluminous.  The current course 20 is 3 volumes, online blackboard, lots of PDF reading.
It is...  graduate level reading (which is fine if you are accustomed to it, but i know that's not the case for everyone)
The tests are:  not exactly a cake walk.  They aren't impossible by any stretch but they are a good bit more difficult than most other stuff, *especially* CAP AFIADL stuff.
You have to go to an AF testing facility to take the tests; which might not be convenient for you depending on where you live.

SOS is a 5 week in-residence course for professional commissioned officers (Captains) in the Air Force, and the quantity and difficulty of material for it is commesurate.
RSC is a 1 week in-residence course in CAP (and while I haven't done it, i'll bet you a box of donuts that it's -a lot- easier).  You will *definitely* spend more than 5 work days doing SOS online (studying and testing).  It'll just be more spread out.

But most of all, it's time consuming.
You HAVE GOT TO block out time, and stick to a schedule, or your allotted time will run out and you will be in trouble.  It just will.  Factor this with everything above, and it's easier than you might think to let that happen.

With all of that factored, I don't feel like I learned anything in SOS that was worth the time, effort, and pain expended on it.  There's good material in there, for sure...  But in terms of bottom line ratio, not a good bang for the buck, at least in my book.

Eclipse

The other thing is that one key point of RSC is the networking and team building - like most CAP activities the hallway and evening
conversations can be as valuable as the classroom time if not more so.

"That Others May Zoom"