Best Encampment

Started by momma_bear, March 27, 2015, 01:01:43 PM

momma_bear

Who has the best and least political Encampment?? Give your justification.

LSThiker

Quote from: momma_bear on March 27, 2015, 01:01:43 PM

Define your criteria for best and least political.

That is a pretty subjective question as what I find to be the best may not be what you consider the best and most definitely is not what an overly-protective parent would consider. 

jeders

If you look through the Encampments and NCSAs section, you will find numerous discussions on just about every encampment nationwide. As to which one is best, likely the one that is closest to you.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: jeders on March 27, 2015, 01:37:51 PM

If you look through the Encampments and NCSAs section, you will find numerous discussions on just about every encampment nationwide. As to which one is best, likely the one that is closest to you.

^+1

Best Encampment is the one you can get yourself to.

I'm going to my 8th one in a few weeks. All 8 at the same place, with the "same" staff, and same facilities. 5 as a cadet, 3rd as a Senior. IIRC, there's only 2 "spring" and "type B" encampments left. We're one of them, and being on an active duty traning Navy base sure makes it a special treat.

THRAWN

New South Delaware Wing. Best, hands down...

They all have a political element. If you get 3 people in a room, there will be politicking. As for the best, I agree with the above comments. They're what you make of them. If you go with a lousy attitude, you'll have a lousy encampment.
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

C/Cool

On top of what everyone else said, we are now implementing the new regulations for all encampments which will ensure no hazing, equal opportunities and an overall better encampment than previous years. You will never know if you like it unless you try it.
I'm sorry, did the middle of my sentence interrupt the beginning of yours?

Al Sayre

Need to define "political".   As in liberal vs. conservative, Democrat vs Republican, Wing X vs. Wing Y?
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

lordmonar

Y-wing by far!  It's got an ion cannon!
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Salty

Too bad they're junk against TIE fighters.
CAP Cadet 1989-1994
CAP Senior Member 1994-1995, 2011-current
USAF Aeromedical Technician 1994-1998

SarDragon

I've been to three encampments in three different wings, in three different decades. They were all different, both in form, and in my level of participation (1 cadet, 2 SM). As long as the event meets the requirements, and follows the rules, it's hard to define a "best". There is a tremendous variation in facilities and capabilities, so the kool things vary a lot.

As for politics, that's a really broad term. What's your definition?
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

a2capt

Unless one has been to "every" encampment in a particular year, this is an impossible question.

..and then if so, the answer wouldn't matter anyway. Because next time is always not like last time.

TexasBEAST

In general, I always preferred the encampments that emphasized cadet basic training, as opposed to the ones that emphasized new and creative elective activities and tried to stretch those into fitting the traditional requirements. I know that concerns over hazing have led a lot of people to look for nontraditional ways to implement the curriculum, but I still think that attempting to emulate kosher basic training is the best way to go.
--TB

argentip

Quote from: TexasBEAST on March 28, 2015, 04:02:25 AM
In general, I always preferred the encampments that emphasized cadet basic training, as opposed to the ones that emphasized new and creative elective activities and tried to stretch those into fitting the traditional requirements. I know that concerns over hazing have led a lot of people to look for nontraditional ways to implement the curriculum, but I still think that attempting to emulate kosher basic training is the best way to go.
Encampment is not supposed to be "cadet basic training" in the sense that I think you are referring to it in.  The purpose of encampment is to provide a well-rounded introduction of CAP to cadets so they have a solid foundation to be able to take skills and experience back to their home units.  It also provides cadets with other skills that they can use for a life-time, some of which include team work, attention to detail, problem solving, etc.  While there are definitely standards that cadets need to meet, this is not basic training.  The new Required Staff Training materials have helped to make this even more clear than it was before by giving more guidance on training intensity levels.
Phil Argenti, Col, CAP
GLR-IN-001

Майор Хаткевич

Forget RST, the whole program has been revamped and makes it more than clear.

TexasBEAST

Quote from: argentip on March 30, 2015, 05:22:25 PM
Quote from: TexasBEAST on March 28, 2015, 04:02:25 AM
Encampment is not supposed to be "cadet basic training" in the sense that I think you are referring to it in.  The purpose of encampment is to provide a well-rounded introduction of CAP to cadets so they have a solid foundation to be able to take skills and experience back to their home units.  It also provides cadets with other skills that they can use for a life-time, some of which include team work, attention to detail, problem solving, etc.  While there are definitely standards that cadets need to meet, this is not basic training.  The new Required Staff Training materials have helped to make this even more clear than it was before by giving more guidance on training intensity levels.
A well-rounded introduction is precisely what I mean by cadet basic training. Encampments should go out of their way to emphasize all the basics, in a meaningful relatable context, even if a lot of the longtime cadets (and the staff/cadre/whatever they're called these days) think that that stuff is old hat and obvious and boring.

I'm not talking about being mean and abusive. There has never been any call for that in any CAP activity.

But I am talking about a curriculum and schedule that specifically addresses all of the basic topics of cadet life, and in a regulatorily correct manner, whether people like it or find it fun or not. Encampments should drive home the basics, in a strict, precise fashion.

When I hear of encampments that try to bring in all sorts of other electives and then reinterpret them as satisfying the traditional requirements, I just cringe. When the focus is on "exciting and new", instead of tried and true, it sounds like the purpose and vision of encampment has been lost. Those new electives need to all be brought back around to the basic, classic topics of cadet life. They should not be offered simply because they're fun or because they diverge away from the familiar basics of cadet life.
--TB

CadetSnuffy

Quote from: Salty on March 27, 2015, 09:43:26 PM
Are you kidding? TIE fighters don't even have hyperdrives :P
There are two types of countries, those that use the metric system, then that one that has been to the moon.

Garibaldi

Quote from: CadetSnuffy on April 02, 2015, 03:56:47 PM
Quote from: Salty on March 27, 2015, 09:43:26 PM
Are you kidding? TIE fighters don't even have hyperdrives :P

Or deflector shields.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

Salty

Don't need all those things when you're shooting from behind the target.
CAP Cadet 1989-1994
CAP Senior Member 1994-1995, 2011-current
USAF Aeromedical Technician 1994-1998

TexasBEAST

Quote from: Salty on April 03, 2015, 01:54:36 AM
Who was it that said, "The best defense is a good offense"?
--TB

PHall

Quote from: TexasBEAST on April 03, 2015, 06:19:01 AM
Quote from: Salty on April 03, 2015, 01:54:36 AM
Who was it that said, "The best defense is a good offense"?

Murphy, of Murphy's Laws of Combat fame. >:D