official "I'm here!" thread.

Started by whatevah, March 24, 2005, 04:52:08 AM

J2H

SSgt Jeffrey Hughes, Squadron NCO
Glenn L. Martin Composite Squadron MD-031

Storm Chaser

Quote from: capgirl on February 18, 2013, 02:35:13 AM
Also, I was wondering. I've registered with E-services and I've been completing the electives. Is there any kind of reward/ribbon for doing that? :)

Welcome! You will earn your Membership ribbon by completing Level I. If you like aviation and space, you can also earn the Yeager Award ribbon by taking and passing the 100-question online aerospace test.

miss.aviator.girl

Hi. I'm new to CAP and I just promoted to C/Amn. I'm so glad I joined! So much great stuff has happened!

Storm Chaser

Quote from: miss.aviator.girl on February 28, 2013, 10:13:34 PM
Hi. I'm new to CAP and I just promoted to C/Amn. I'm so glad I joined! So much great stuff has happened!

Welcome! The adventure is just beginning. Just remember that you get from CAP what you put into CAP. Have fun!

rugger1869

I'm sorta new here. I have been lurking for over a year. I was a cadet many moons ago and made some great friends. I have always loved aviation and wanted to re-engaged. So... I finally got everything in and am now a SM as of the 5th of March. I am excited to be here and look forward to learning as much as possible about this great organization we belong to.

Rob

Storm Chaser

Rob, it's good to have you back!

rugger1869

Violan

I joined CAP as a cadet a little over a year ago, and am VERY pleased with the program. I just recently discovered CAP Talk and am very glad I did, as it has been extremely helpful.  :) Thanks, guys!

WithHonor

Well, I've decided to finally join this CAP community! I'll admit that I've heard negative things about this site from some members, but I have gleaned valuable information from posts throughout the years, and I believe that respect given equals respect received. Anyway, with that said, it's good to be here!

Garibaldi

Quote from: WithHonor on March 21, 2013, 11:04:07 AM
Well, I've decided to finally join this CAP community! I'll admit that I've heard negative things about this site from some members, but I have gleaned valuable information from posts throughout the years, and I believe that respect given equals respect received. Anyway, with that said, it's good to be here!

An internet forum, by its very nature, is an unpredictable beast. While there is a lot of BS floating around, we tend to correct what we can find, but when a thread gets resurrected from eleventy years ago, it's hard to squash all of it. We all have our personalities, and while I personally haven't ticked anyone off (as far as I know), people do tend to get...passionate about CAP and what they believe and will fight to the death (either of the thread or their reputation) their right to stand behind it. Some are more vociferous than others, be it because they are actually right or because of their "that's the way it's always been done" mentality. And some are on the fence, like me.

Welcome to CAPTalk.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

RogueLeader

Quote from: WithHonor on March 21, 2013, 11:04:07 AM

If there is a group that has been around for any length of time with, such a very varied group of personality, somebody will have negative experience (normally if they have a serious lack of respect or professionalism.)

Welcome aboard.  :)
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Murphy

Greetings, one and all.  I am a long time lurker/never poster.  I have seen a few posts in past few years that made me almost cross the boundary but I think I have finally reached my limit so here is my intro:  CAP Cadet 1986-1992, C/LTC GA Mtn. Comp. Sqdn. (the first, and only, to complete the Cadet Program sans Spaatz), Jasper, GA (GA 091115); SER-TN-192 & SER-TN-017 2009-present.  CAP has changed a great deal since 1986.  Some good.  Some bad.  I also served in the U.S. Army 1993-1998.  What I hope to offer to the board is a well-rounded view of our organization as it exists at present.  I have become extensively involved in CAP GSAR since I have returned to CAP even though I am a member of a senior squadron, so I think I can contribute both air and ground perspectives to conversations on this site. 

FlyTiger77

Quote from: Murphy on April 02, 2013, 07:16:23 AM
Greetings, one and all.  I am a long time lurker/never poster.  I have seen a few posts in past few years that made me almost cross the boundary but I think I have finally reached my limit so here is my intro:  CAP Cadet 1986-1992, C/LTC GA Mtn. Comp. Sqdn. (the first, and only, to complete the Cadet Program sans Spaatz), Jasper, GA (GA 091115); SER-TN-192 & SER-TN-017 2009-present.  CAP has changed a great deal since 1986.  Some good.  Some bad.  I also served in the U.S. Army 1993-1998.  What I hope to offer to the board is a well-rounded view of our organization as it exists at present.  I have become extensively involved in CAP GSAR since I have returned to CAP even though I am a member of a senior squadron, so I think I can contribute both air and ground perspectives to conversations on this site.

Hey, I know you!

Welcome.
JACK E. MULLINAX II, Lt Col, CAP

PJSabo

Greetings. My name is PJSabo. I've also been noted as a "lurker".  According to the records, I join in Nov. 2012 on this forum & I forgot about it and therefore never got around to do anything with it.  I guess it was because I started working for the Salvation Army as a Bell Ringer & it took my time away since I worked everyday and for 8-10 hrs. 

I'm actually new to this but not totally new to the CAP. Like most of the people I've seen on here, I was a member back in the 70's, in the Massena, NY Squadron, which is about 75-80 miles N of Syracuse NY. Unfortuantely, it disbanded around 1973, maybe 1975.  I'd really like to become a member once again but I'm not able to due to legal matters from 1992. I'm not proud of the circumstances that took place. It has caused me grief because there are so many activities I can't become involved in or places I've wanted to go. I can't change the past, but I can honestly say that I'm a much better person today. I won't go into details about it but I'm just going to say that I messed my life up.
If there is anyone that might have a positive note/idea about what could be done so I would eb able to become a member again, I'd appreciate it.

This is my first post & I hope that I haven't gone overboard with it.

Peter J. Sabo

Майор Хаткевич

Hello Peter. I'm sure there are a few folks here who may have good advice. Depending on what the issue was, a waiver may be a possibility.

Eclipse

Quote from: PJSabo on April 05, 2013, 02:03:24 AM
Greetings. My name is PJSabo. I've also been noted as a "lurker".  According to the records, I join in Nov. 2012 on this forum & I forgot about it and therefore never got around to do anything with it.  I guess it was because I started working for the Salvation Army as a Bell Ringer & it took my time away since I worked everyday and for 8-10 hrs. 

I'm actually new to this but not totally new to the CAP. Like most of the people I've seen on here, I was a member back in the 70's, in the Massena, NY Squadron, which is about 75-80 miles N of Syracuse NY. Unfortuantely, it disbanded around 1973, maybe 1975.  I'd really like to become a member once again but I'm not able to due to legal matters from 1992. I'm not proud of the circumstances that took place. It has caused me grief because there are so many activities I can't become involved in or places I've wanted to go. I can't change the past, but I can honestly say that I'm a much better person today. I won't go into details about it but I'm just going to say that I messed my life up.
If there is anyone that might have a positive note/idea about what could be done so I would eb able to become a member again, I'd appreciate it.

This is my first post & I hope that I haven't gone overboard with it.

You will need to find a Unit Commander who is willing to sponsor and champion your membership, with whom you'll need to be fairly open and honest about
the issues potentially blocking your membership, and then from there the issue will need to be addressed with the Wing CC of the state you're in and
NHQ will be the ultimate arbiter of your membership.

But it all starts at a unit.

"That Others May Zoom"

Shooter

Greetings. I'm Dan Schoessler, I've been a member of CAP for 10 years and am currently the DCC at Texas Wing's Ellington Composite Squadron near Houston, TX. For those of you who are CAP Historians, can you confirm that Ellington was at one point the location of National Headquarters for CAP? It appears to be so based on the scan of the letter of approval that Gen. Spaatz wrote authorizing the award in his name.

I've held the nickname "Shooter" ever since my first year of CAP, during which Col. Dave Winters (former Ohio Wing Commander) gave me the nickname citing that it was easier to pronounce than my surname. It stuck.

I joined the cadet program shortly before my 16th birthday and remained an active cadet all to way to my 21st birthday, earning Spaatz #1693 shortly before becoming a senior member (I had enough time for only one try at the Spaatz, so I made it count). I worked for NetJets, Inc for five years before I married Spaatz #1646 and 2009 national cadet of the year, Kate Whitacre. We moved to Houston Texas where I began employment as a IT business analyst with a global FBO network. I have since traveled to Bermuda and Brazil for work projects. Kate began working in Mission Control as a flight controller at NASA Johnson Space Center. We are happily situated about three miles away from JSC in Seabrook, Texas.
Dan Schoessler, Capt, CAP
Deputy Commander for Cadets
Ellington Composite Squadron, SWR-TX-098
Spaatz #1693

BillB

NHQ moved from Bolling AFB to Ellington AFB to Maxwell AFB
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

SarDragon

Ellington was the location of NHQ when I joined in 1964.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Shooter

Dan Schoessler, Capt, CAP
Deputy Commander for Cadets
Ellington Composite Squadron, SWR-TX-098
Spaatz #1693