White on Aquamarine Military Badges

Started by Timbeau, February 05, 2010, 02:52:34 AM

NIN

Quote from: kd8gua on July 29, 2010, 07:21:32 PM
It's interesting that the 39-1 only allows for wear of USAF-acceptable badges, but allows for wear of military ribbons from any AD branch. One of my old squadron commanders, back a number of years ago, was a former Navy fighter pilot in Vietnam. He wore all of his Navy decorations, as well as his Navy wings. I don't recall his BDU set up, but his blues most certainly had a pair of gold wings. Does this mean he shouldn't be wearing Navy wings, but is allowed to wear Navy ribbons (on blues)?

Seems odd to give a nod to one aspect of a person's military training, but not another... Hmm.

IIRC, Navy wings fall under the category of "US Military Badges" as defined in 6-5 (not just USAF badges, but any US military badges)

The relevant portion of 39-1, para 6-7
Quote6-7. US Military Badges. CAP members may wear only the US military badges authorized for wear
on the US Air Force uniform when earned through qualification and awarded by competent authority for
service performed in any branch of the Armed Forces of the United States or its allies. The military
badges authorized for wear on the CAP uniform and BDU are listed in Table 6-5.

At which point table 6-5 says, in part:
Quote1    US Military Aeronautical Badges

You will note it does not make a distinction by service. US Military Aeronautical Badges.  I wore Army Aircrew wings under this very same codicil.  US Naval aviator wings fall into the same category.

Now, certain other categories of badges aren't authorized, particularly if they're not allowed on the USAF uniform. For example, I don't know if a Navy SEAL trident is authorized on the USAF uniform, or, say, some kind of an EOD badge or something.  Not _every_ badge from another service is authorized.  Like, maybe, Army Pathfinder or something.

As far as ribbons go, that falls under Chapter 5, which says, in part:

Quote5-4. Military Service Awards. Military service ribbons may be worn on the CAP AF-style uniform
provided they were awarded in writing by competent military authority. Awards of the Air Force,
Army, Navy, Marine Corps, or Coast Guard will be worn in the order prescribed by the awarding
service, subject to the following: In all cases of relative priority, Air Force awards will take precedence.
See Table 5-3. Awards for wars, campaigns, expeditions etc., will be worn in chronological sequence.

So that should about cover the ribbons situation, Navy or otherwise.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

arajca

Quote from: DakRadz on July 29, 2010, 07:29:13 PM
Upon transferring branches, anyone can wear their ribbons from any service in whatever their new service is.
i.e. an enlisted soldier going through AFROTC could wear his prior Army ribbons (though unit awards [the big ones that go over the nametag] I'm not sure about). So we are doing the same as the USAF (and every other branch) in that regard.
If he was a member of the unit when the unit award was awarded, he cold wear it. If not, he cannot. Additionally, he would need to wear the AF form, not the Army form, in the proper AF location.

DakRadz

Much appreciated. Army and Marine Corps issues are not my forte.

Okay, so since NIN provided the extra information clarifying the issue, each happy prior/current service member may PayPal us each 2.50 USD.
Seriously. I'll be waiting on that payment.
How else do you get the elusive "1" to appear in the zeros of a CAP paycheck? ;)

Any remarks on whether Airborne and AA badges are Aviation badges? We see from your earlier post they are indeed allowed, but would they qualify for subdued?
Or perhaps since they are allowed but not regulated they can be subdued by default?

NIN

I didn't cite the BDU badge part, but yes, subdued is authorized.

Personally, I was never a fan of mixing subdued insignia and colored insignia, so at my first opportunity I found "white on OD" Army Aircrew wings (Vietnam War stuff).  I wore those for years until I finally got off my duff and had white-on-ultramarine aircrew wings made by Spur.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Hawk200

Quote from: DakRadz on July 29, 2010, 07:29:13 PM
Upon transferring branches, anyone can wear their ribbons from any service in whatever their new service is.
Not completely true. I was prior Air Force, and there are ribbons that are expressly forbidden for wear on my Army uniform in AR 670-1. The same applies to various badges across the services, not all are allowed on any other uniform.

DakRadz

Aaaaaaaand smacked down! Should have looked it up... But the Army isn't my forte, as I said.

May I ask what ribbons, out of curiosity?

Hawk200

Quote from: DakRadz on July 30, 2010, 02:38:24 AM
Aaaaaaaand smacked down! Should have looked it up... But the Army isn't my forte, as I said.

May I ask what ribbons, out of curiosity?
Marksmanship and Longevity ribbons. Air Force specialty badges (AFSC specific) are also specifically forbidden.

All the various service uniform manuals are available on the web. Just Google or Yahoo! I've got uniform pubs for every Uniformed Service, and read them all at one time or another.

cpyahoo

I have a senior member who just joined that is retired Army and he was asking about all the Army "career mover" badges he was authorized to wear.  I always use the "Air Force" rule.  "If it's authorized for wear on a US Air Force uniform, then it's danged sure authorized on the CAP uniform!"  I found him the USAF subdued Parachutist (with bronze combat jump star), Air Assault, Pathfinder and... AND... a full color 1960s mint condition Combat Infantryman's Badge! 
     And I don't want to hear any crap about how only USAF TACPs can wear it when assigned to Army units. I verified everything with current USAF uniform regs and have friends in Security Forces wearing ALL the above!  (Yes, including the CIB!)

cpyahoo

Oh... and I think it's crap that senior members who earned their Ranger tab or Special Forces tab can't wear them on their CAP uniform.  It's authorized on the USAF uniform, I don't see why they can't wear it on a CAP uniform?

abdsp51

Per AFI36-2903 (18 July 11)

10.5.1.1. Combat Infantry, Combat Medical and Combat Action Badge. Wear only while permanently assigned to and performing duties with sister services components. Note: Combat Infantry, Combat Medical and Combat Action badges are not authorized on ABU.

10.5.1.1.1. Permanent assignment denotes non TDY status. This applies to other badges or patches i.e., Army Combat patches earned or awarded by sister service components.

10.5.1.1.2. Upon Permanent Change of Station (PCS) to an Air Force unit, member will remove all sister service patches. OPR is Sister Service Directive; Army MilPERCEN; Navy; BUPERS etc.

10.5.1.2. Pathfinder Badge and Ranger Tab. Wear only while permanently assigned to and performing duties with sister services components.

Tabs and other badges are not authorized outside of sister service assignments. 

Eclipse

Quote from: cpyahoo on January 27, 2012, 01:59:41 PM
Oh... and I think it's crap that senior members who earned their Ranger tab or Special Forces tab can't wear them on their CAP uniform.  It's authorized on the USAF uniform, I don't see why they can't wear it on a CAP uniform?

Let me guess, the barrista threw in the extra shot for free this AM?

"That Others May Zoom"

stillamarine

So does this mean I have to stop wearing my gold jump wings?  :-[ what about scuba bubble?
Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

cpyahoo

cpyahoo

No more combat badge for being an armed bell ringer with the Militant Branch of the Salvation Army!

abdsp51

No coffee yet, just wanted to make that the entire thing grabbed the eye.  Personally I think its xxxx certain items can't be worn when earned and documented.  I have three combat patches and they basically sit in a bag in a box until I can properly display them. 

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

Flying Pig

Quote from: cpyahoo on January 27, 2012, 01:59:41 PM

Ranger and SF tabs have never been authorized on a CAP uniform or a USAF uniform.  You cant even wear those tabs in other branches of the military outside of the Army.  The only AF guys I have ever seen wearing Ranger or Airborne tabs are TACPs or AF guys assigned to Army units.  Once they leave those Army units, they come off.

As far as GOld jump wings and a bubble, you can wear those.  Actually though, I think you would actually have to wear the basic parachutist unless you qualified for Senior or Master parachutist.

lordmonar

Quote from: stillamarine on January 27, 2012, 02:24:56 PM
So does this mean I have to stop wearing my gold jump wings?  :-[ what about scuba bubble?

Quote10.5.1.5. Scuba Badge. Is authorized for wear, when awarded. Not authorized on ABUs. OPR is AF/A3.

I can't find it in 26-2903....but I have seen a lot of AD/AFRES types wear their Navy Jump wings and Navy Aircrew and aviator wings.

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

GroundHawg

Scuba is authorized, Navy Para Wings are not, you have to wear the "basic" para wings. The USAF does not allow the Gold Wings to be worn, and as such, CAP does not. I earned the Navy wings and hated that I couldnt wear them. They look good in my shadow box though!

As for the others I sent a lengthy email to national and KB about the double standard that exists. CAP specifically allows for the CIB and CMB. The USAF allows these and the Pathfinder torch, EIB, etc.. but you have to be attached to an Army unit. I asked that since the CIB and CMB were authorized, even though CAP will never be attached to an Army unit, could the other badges be worn? They said no.
I then asked about the EFMB and CAB, both of which can be earned and worn by the USAF, they said no. Does anyone down there have a clue?

It comes down to this, if awarded by the military, regardless of what branch, you should be able to wear it. Period.

abdsp51

The CAB is not authorized for wear by AF Personel unless attached to an Army unit per  AFI.