Missed this, NHQ considering revising FCU Program

Started by Майор Хаткевич, April 01, 2014, 08:51:37 PM

a2capt

Quote from: PA Guy on April 03, 2014, 10:04:34 AMFollow this link  to pages 8-9  .  To add to it remember that in CAWG  we don't have green in the Summer only varying shades of brown and with no rain a lot of dust.
I'd put it down that quite a bit of the states in the land were terrestrial radio station call letters begin with K .. fit this description..

Eclipse

Quote from: PA Guy on April 03, 2014, 03:31:49 PMGraduation is a formal ceremony. IMO BDU's are not appropriate for a formal occasions such as graduation. No one is arguing that . But why would you want to? For an ES activity I can see it, just not for Encampment graduation. To say there is no valid reason is quite a stretch. That is just your opinion like mine.

So that we can adjust the FCU to make sense for day-to-day cadets.

CAP gives them a "free" uniform and then most units only wear that combo once a month or so, and
the cadet still has to go out and buy a uniform for the rest of the month, most activities, etc.

"That Others May Zoom"

PA Guy

Quote from: a2capt on April 03, 2014, 03:37:43 PM
Quote from: PA Guy on April 03, 2014, 10:04:34 AMFollow this link  to pages 8-9  .  To add to it remember that in CAWG  we don't have green in the Summer only varying shades of brown and with no rain a lot of dust.
I'd put it down that quite a bit of the states in the land were terrestrial radio station call letters begin with K .. fit this description..

What is your point?  You think I should have said west of the Miss. River instead of CAWG? Again, what is your point?

a2capt

Now you're all wound up.

I missed where, where I have were, and otherwise actually tried to broaden your point. California is not the only desert and dust state.

PA Guy

Quote from: a2capt on April 03, 2014, 04:55:19 PM
Now you're all wound up.

I missed where, where I have were, and otherwise actually tried to broaden your point. California is not the only desert and dust state.

::) ::) ::) ::)

Walkman

I'd really support a free BDU option. My unit has a ton of blues that have been handed down & acquired over the years. Our BDU supply is starting to dwindle, and as others have posted, the cadets wear BDUs more often the Blues (only once a month).

This is a pipe dream, I know, but I wouldn't mind NHQ being able to sell uniforms at a major discount. If new BDUs from BDU.com go for around $29.99 for each piece, NHQ uses some of that FCU money to allow us to buy them for $15 a piece or something. They could probably source directly for bulk pricing and then offer an even bigger discount. I know the Vanguard issue throws that idea completely out the window, but like I was saying...a pipe dream.

lordmonar

Quote from: NIN on April 02, 2014, 11:15:29 PM
Quote from: lordmonar on April 02, 2014, 04:53:49 AM
So.....no there is no reason why we can't do encampment completely in BDUs.

Personally I would hold off on the FCU until Wright Brothers myself.
At my squadron we have a big drop off before WB as far as ROI waiting until then would get the most bang for the buck.

Never mind that the blues uniform is the "minimum required uniform" for the cadet program?

Or that BDUs cannot be "required" unless supplied (yeah, like thats ever stopped anybody?)
That's a simple reg change.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Garibaldi

Quote from: Walkman on April 03, 2014, 08:08:56 PM
I'd really support a free BDU option. My unit has a ton of blues that have been handed down & acquired over the years. Our BDU supply is starting to dwindle, and as others have posted, the cadets wear BDUs more often the Blues (only once a month).

This is a pipe dream, I know, but I wouldn't mind NHQ being able to sell uniforms at a major discount. If new BDUs from BDU.com go for around $29.99 for each piece, NHQ uses some of that FCU money to allow us to buy them for $15 a piece or something. They could probably source directly for bulk pricing and then offer an even bigger discount. I know the Vanguard issue throws that idea completely out the window, but like I was saying...a pipe dream.

Speaking of, we had a major cleaning of our unit a couple weeks ago and I uncovered boxes upon boxes of nearly brand new BDU blouses. Unfortunatley, all were X-small/short. And no pants. Trying to see about working out a trade someplace. We are talking well over 100 shirts.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

Spaceman3750

I like the FCU BDU argument but it would also mean fewer FCUs to give out, since they would have to be sourced commercially instead of through AAFES.

I'm a big fan of field expedient graduations. Then again, I'm a ground pounder.

Eclipse

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on April 06, 2014, 11:21:09 PM
I like the FCU BDU argument but it would also mean fewer FCUs to give out, since they would have to be sourced commercially instead of through AAFES.

Fewer?  How?

If anything, commercial sources will more readily have the sizes we need, especially the smaller ones.

"That Others May Zoom"

a2capt

Fewer .. cadets over all that get something, if BDUs cost more than short sleeve blues.

Майор Хаткевич

White paper states BDUs are cheaper by about $20/ cadet.

Eclipse

Quote from: usafaux2004 on April 07, 2014, 12:20:52 AM

Let's not let facts get in the way of tasty conjecture.

"That Others May Zoom"

Spaceman3750

Quote from: Eclipse on April 06, 2014, 11:43:55 PM
Quote from: Spaceman3750 on April 06, 2014, 11:21:09 PM

Fewer?  How?

If anything, commercial sources will more readily have the sizes we need, especially the smaller ones.

Fewer, as in BDUs are (at least I believed to be) more expensive, and assuming that the money bucket for FCUs is not bottomless, higher cost per cadet = fewer cadets served. I'm not great at math but even I'm able to do division.

That's interesting, I did not see that. I'd be interested in how that works. Commercially-available BDUs run about $30 per piece. So that's about $65 for blouse, trousers and a web belt, plus shipping to the cadet or unit. A SS blues shirt from MCSS is $14.47, trousers are $38.74, and a belt is $2.50, leading to a $10 savings over BDUs.

Vanguard's BDU pricing seems to be better than the BDUs/BBDUs that I buy, most likely because I buy Propper and they buy Rothco/Tru-Spec/Genuine Gear. That does provide an advantage over blues pricing.

Quote from: Eclipse on April 07, 2014, 12:24:15 AM

Let's not let facts get in the way of tasty conjecture.

Oh come on, I think you know me better than that. It wasn't conjecture, it's fact depending on your supplier and quality preference, and their supplier of choice beat mine.

EDIT: Nothing says "I love the Air Force" like this guy on the Exchange site:

Eclipse

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on April 07, 2014, 12:51:06 AM
Oh come on, I think you know me better than that. It wasn't conjecture, it's fact depending on your supplier and quality preference, and their supplier of choice beat mine.

That wasn't directed at you, but the reality is that NHQ would have to do an RFP on this, and
guarantee a quantity, or add some other incentive, which would drive the price down.

So odds are any prices we can find openly for normal consumer channels isn't going to be the price NHQ would pay.

"That Others May Zoom"

a2capt

though I know the blues pants are about the same as BDU pants, OTOH, the issue shirt is half the price, hence the "probably more expensive" since there isn't any DLA dealings in BDUs anymore.

Eclipse

As usual, CAP was looking the other way at something shiny...

http://www.dla.mil/dla_media_center/Pages/newsarticle201401130100.aspx

"Defense Logistics Agency Troop Support provided excess uniforms to the 25th Infantry Division's Jungle Operations Training Center in Hawaii, saving that organization money and reducing DLA's inventory."

"About 17,000 woodland camouflage battle dress uniforms, valued at nearly $1.2 million, will include coats, trousers and caps. Deliveries are scheduled to be completed by March, C&T Plans and Integration Chief Dave Farrell said."

Seriously, where is our NHQ contact with DRMO / DLA calling everybody to find out about excess inventory?

"That Others May Zoom"

a2capt

You don't even want to know how many base DRMO facilities sent BDUs to the shredder because they got no hits while in the facility .. due to the screener approval mess with the loss of the CAPRAP support. Requests for screening of all kinds just languished. ..and if interest is not show in stuff for a certain period, off it goes.

Eclipse

I know it's sickening...

Apathy is the death of a thousand cuts.

"That Others May Zoom"

PHall

Quote from: Eclipse on April 07, 2014, 01:29:03 AM
Seriously, where is our NHQ contact with DRMO / DLA calling everybody to find out about excess inventory?

Your mistake is assuming that there is a NHQ contact with DRMO/DLA.  ::)