Proper wear of flight cap

Started by Tim Day, January 03, 2014, 07:37:01 PM

vento

Quote from: NIN on January 03, 2014, 10:50:55 PM

Then you have these guys:

But you can count on the Jarhead on the team to keep it real:

^^^

:clap: :clap: :clap: (in lieu of the "LIKE" button)

Eclipse

I always wonder why guys with "BTDT" to spare need to feel "extra" special.

"That Others May Zoom"

lordmonar

Quote from: Eclipse on January 03, 2014, 11:57:20 PM
Because you don't understand psychology.  >:D
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

ol'fido

To the OP: I don't think I ever wondered about this particular part of wearing a flight cap in 37 years of wearing them. Curious.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

AlphaSigOU

I'm guessing the 'duck tail' is the flight cap's equivalent of the '50-mission crush'.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

PHall

Some of it is wearing the correct size hat too.  If it's too small you tend to get "opened up" look.

LSThiker

Quote from: NIN on January 03, 2014, 10:44:21 PM

Wow, look at pilots 2, 3, and 4.  In this case, I have to admit, the blue angels look better during their ground performances.

Tim Day

Quote from: ol'fido on January 04, 2014, 01:31:51 AM
To the OP: I don't think I ever wondered about this particular part of wearing a flight cap in 37 years of wearing them. Curious.

I'm with you. Though, my experience was 20 years flying with the Navy. As an aviator I pretty much took it out of my flight suit pockets and jammed the "fore-and-aft" cap on my head as if expecting a hurricane. As I put the cap on my head, I'd use the index finger and thumb to kind of "tweak" the last couple of inches of the ridge so that I had a "vertical stabilizer" back there. The only time I was ever confronted over the way I wore my cap it was to let me know I failed to look like an aviator (before I learned to make the tail fin).

If I were an AD Air Force pilot I might not care... might keep the pilot crush even if the AFI said not to and Chief Master Sergeants all looked at me funny. But, I'm not - I'm a CAP officer and a Deputy Commander for Cadets and it's my job to wear it the "right way." It's not that pilot's aren't professional. We're just as picky about the way we train people to run a checklist or fly an approach. But the cadets have to start somewhere, and learning how to wear a uniform the right way is that good place to start, and the right way means the way it's written in the book, and since I'm training them I guess I have to model it right.

All that's to say I appreciate everyone's input - have learned something new and may either get a slightly larger cap or not jam it down so hard on my brain housing group.
Tim Day
Lt Col CAP
Prince William Composite Squadron Commander

PHall

Quote from: LSThiker on January 04, 2014, 04:20:44 AM
Quote from: NIN on January 03, 2014, 10:44:21 PM

Wow, look at pilots 2, 3, and 4.  In this case, I have to admit, the blue angels look better during their ground performances.

That's because they have their hats pulled all the way down to their ears. If they were wearing them properly, i.e. higher up on their heads, they wouldn't have opened up like that.

But that's The Thunderbirds. They have their own way of doing everything and don't you dare question it! :o ::)

Pulsar

I never heard any other way.  ??? I think it looks much more professional to have the male flight caps closed.
C/LtCol Neutron Star
PAWG ENC 2013/ AMMA 2014/ NER W RCLS 2014-5 [Salutatorian] / NER Powered Flight Academy 2015

"A fiery strength inspires their lives, An essence that from heaven
derives,..." - Vergil, The Aeneid

(C) Copyright 2013: Readers who choose to hardcopy my comments are entitled to specific rights, namely: you may print them off and read them repeatedly until you have memorized them and then rattle them off as if you had thought them up yourself; However if asked, you must say they were signaled to you from a neutron star.

Mustang

The "tuck" is a rated thing. Used to be prohibited by the regs, the fighter mafia took care of that.
"Amateurs train until they get it right; Professionals train until they cannot get it wrong. "

PHall

Quote from: Mustang on January 05, 2014, 04:37:43 AM
The "tuck" is a rated thing. Used to be prohibited by the regs, the fighter mafia took care of that.

Not a "rated" thing. A fighter pilot thing. Never saw a heavy driver do it.

LSThiker

Quote from: PHall on January 05, 2014, 05:36:23 AM
Quote from: Mustang on January 05, 2014, 04:37:43 AM

Not a "rated" thing. A fighter pilot thing. Never saw a heavy driver do it.

It was explained to me one time that the tuck is "for" pilots after breaking the sound barrier (so basically fighter pilots).  Do not know if it is true and in all honesty, do not really care.  It is like people complaining about the "ranger" roll for patrol caps, which has essentially stopped with the ACUs.  Although I do see it occasionally and it looks worse.

The CyBorg is destroyed

And then there are our RAF/Commonwealth allies:

Air Chief Marshal Sir Arthur Tedder, deputy to "Ike."

When I was a Boy Scout, we were told to wear the garrison cap at a slight angle similar to Sir Arthur here.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Private Investigator

Quote from: lordmonar on January 04, 2014, 12:30:55 AM

Correctomundo. Chicks dig "Top Gun" so you got to be with the 'look'. Hollywood, cool   8)

ol'fido

Quote from: Private Investigator on January 06, 2014, 08:04:20 PM

Correctomundo. Chicks dig "Top Gun" so you got to be with the 'look'. Hollywood, cool   8)
I understand that there is a fine at the Naval Fighter Weapons School for quoting or referencing "Top Gun", the movie.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

PHall

Quote from: ol'fido on January 06, 2014, 11:54:52 PM
Quote from: Private Investigator on January 06, 2014, 08:04:20 PM

I understand that there is a fine at the Naval Fighter Weapons School for quoting or referencing "Top Gun", the movie.

Those fines are usually payable in Hopped Beverages!

NEBoom

That used to be called the "TAC Tuck."  Of course, there's no more TAC.  And I'd guess calling it the "ACC Tuck" wouldn't be the same...
Lt Col Dan Kirwan, CAP
Nebraska Wing

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: NEBoom on January 07, 2014, 02:28:36 AM

That used to be called the "TAC Tuck."  Of course, there's no more TAC.  And I'd guess calling it the "ACC Tuck" wouldn't be the same...

Other than that, those two gentlemen look very good in their uniforms.

Luis R. Ramos

But would you say  that to their faces?

>:D

Flyer
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer