Ironing your CAP uniform!

Started by titanII, January 26, 2011, 02:55:26 AM

SarDragon

Quote from: Littleguy on January 26, 2011, 08:18:59 PMMy health class teacher told me that sweat is water mixed with bacteria and a bit of oils/chemicals and that heat kills bacteria. About ready to yell at her. Third time she has said something incorrect.
I only have creases on the sleeve. and what I mean by standing at attention is that the creaes actually stay razor sharp and stiff. It doubles the time I iron, but it in my opinion makes me look sharper.
Ironing inside out(with the exception of the creases) makes the top look alot better. It stops that weird shine that develops after you iron the BDU's with starch.

Your teacher is absolutely correct. The interpretation you are making is what's incorrect.

Heat kills bacteria and other various living nasties. It does not remove or clean anything from the fabric, as you stated in the bolded quote text. The gunk that is left behind accumulates, and serves as a breeding ground for further nasties, and also degrades the fabric. Once it's been ironed into the fabric, it is much more difficult to launder out.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

SarDragon

Quote from: HGjunkie on January 26, 2011, 08:35:41 PM
Quote from: Littleguy on January 26, 2011, 08:18:59 PM
I only have creases on the sleeve. and what I mean by standing at attention is that the creaes actually stay razor sharp and stiff. It doubles the time I iron, but it in my opinion makes me look sharper.

It also does wear out the material. I've got a pair of BDUs where the material is really thin, wrinkles easily, and has lost its "Ripstop" capabilities from ironing/starching too much. (Meaning if it got caught on something sharp it would probably rip). The only upside to this is they become really comfortable to wear after a day at encampment.

Rip-stop. You've got a little bit of a wrong idea about it. The feature doesn't prevent rips. It keeps small rips from getting bigger. The little squares you see in rip-stop fabric are actually, heavier thread in the weave, which help to keep small tears from propagating. Obviously, a strong enough pull on the fabric can overcome the stronger threads, but the concept works well, in most circumstances. When you start getting sharp objects involved, that's another matter.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eclipse

And ripstop isn't affected by washings.

"That Others May Zoom"

AngelWings

My mouth in this case is better kept shut. Have a good day everyone.

HGjunkie

Quote from: Eclipse on January 26, 2011, 11:52:36 PM
And ripstop isn't affected by washings.

What about drowning it in spray-starch and using the highest heat settings on an iron? I used to do that for a while...
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

Eclipse

Quote from: Littleguy on January 26, 2011, 08:18:59 PMMy health class teacher told me that sweat is water mixed with bacteria and a bit of oils/chemicals and that heat kills bacteria. About ready to yell at her. Third time she has said something incorrect.

What did she state that was incorrect?

Everything above is true.

"That Others May Zoom"

AngelWings

Like I said, my mouth is better kept shut.

EMT-83

In response to the original question:

Dress uniforms are laundered after every use, and therefore ironed.

BDUs are field uniforms; they are never ironed.

Eclipse

Quote from: EMT-83 on January 27, 2011, 02:26:00 AM
BDUs are field uniforms; they are never ironed.  I never iron mine, however many members think they look a lot sharper when properly pressed and since most never wear them in the field, pressing is fine.  Further many of the services, most notably the USAF, encourage their members to press their field uniforms when not actually in the field.

Fixed that for 'ya...

"That Others May Zoom"

jimmydeanno

Quote from: Eclipse on January 27, 2011, 02:54:53 AMmost notably the USAF, encourage their members to press their field uniforms when not actually in the field. The USAF used to encourage the ironing of BDUs.  However, since the inception of the ABUs ironing has gone to the wayside, in the field or not.

Fixed that for you.  ;)
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Eclipse

Quote from: jimmydeanno on January 27, 2011, 04:17:03 AM
Quote from: Eclipse on January 27, 2011, 02:54:53 AMmost notably the USAF, encourage their members to press their field uniforms when not actually in the field. The USAF used to encourage the ironing of BDUs.  However, since the inception of the ABUs ironing has gone to the wayside, in the field or not.

Fixed that for you.  ;)

Good effort, but missed the mark - we don't wear ABU's, so how those are worn by the USAF is irrelevant.  BDUs are still worn and ironed by the USAF.

"That Others May Zoom"

JoeTomasone

Despite the plethora of interesting suggestions posed in this thread, I will stick with washing my BDUs after wear, ironing as necessary to maintain a neat, professional work appearance.

Call me "old school".

davidsinn

Quote from: JoeTomasone on January 27, 2011, 03:35:13 PM
Despite the plethora of interesting suggestions posed in this thread, I will stick with washing my BDUs after wear, ironing as necessary to maintain a neat, professional work appearance.

That's what I do.

Call me "old school".

No school like it. ;D
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn