Roger LaShomb and His Patch Book

Started by Luis R. Ramos, February 25, 2013, 01:32:54 PM

Luis R. Ramos

All-

Have you seen LaShomb's patch books? It seems that NHQ supports him as he appears on an NHQ page. Do any of you have or recall any negative thing about his books?

As I understand, he reproduces these patches then sells them. Am I correct?

Flyer
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

flashor

Hi my name is Roger LaShomb and I am a member of NHQ-996 which is a patron squadron for Civil Air Patrol.  The book I put together of CAP patches are patches from my own collection and I have given recognition to all who have help me in this quest.  I presented the book to CAP free of charge and asked if they would like to have a webpage on their site for its contents to be made available for all CAP members, as of this time nothing is in the works but an article was put on CAP Volunteer Now.  I have never reproduced or sold a reproduction patch in my life and never will, I am a collector and I do buy and trade patches and if I find a repro I either destroy it or write on it REPO with permanent marker.  I do not have any repo in my collection and never will even if its a filler piece.  I wish before people start badmouthing others they would talk with the sorce first  Roger LaShomb

MisterCD

Roger has provided assistance with the  Ohio Wing Heraldry Guide and has been professional and generous in my working with him. This gossip about reproducing patches and selling them is baseless.

http://www.ohwg.cap.gov/wing-historian/updatedohiowingheraldrybook

a2capt

Here's a question from the opposite side of the peanut gallery...

Tell me, what exactly is wrong with a reproduction if you are putting together something and want to have a representative in the spot?

"Reproduction" does not equal shoddy just because of the word. Some of that "original" stuff is pretty.. crummy too.

Stuff that is out of production, units long gone, whatever. Who cares. If someone takes the time, invests the loot, to get a few made and they don't look like garbage, what's the difference?

Who lost money on it? Who got ripped off? Who was violated?

I know, the slippery slope .. and all. Yes, I can see that coming. There's a niche argument for every aspect, I'm not throwing this down as a broad topic, saying to go out and copy everything in sight, but for specifics, you've got a unit patch that was worn by 50 people at a time for a period of say, 20 years. The last time it was issued was 45 years ago. Yet there are probably about the same amount of people now that might want to have one in a historical display. Are there really that many to go around? After all, these things were meant to be -used- so that means make more. Just like when their supply ran out and they needed more.

I'm talking separate from this whole Hock Shop, Vanguard, CAPMart thing, not stuff that's in demand from units right now, stuff that isn't available, isn't used, isn't likely to be brought back, etc.

Stonewall

Quote from: flashor on February 25, 2013, 06:09:23 PM
I wish before people start badmouthing others they would talk with the sorce first  Roger LaShomb

I don't think the originator of this thread was badmouthing you or anyone.  From where I stand, he was vetting your work before he considers purchasing something.  I don't know him or his intentions, but this is a common practice on a board like this.

"Hey, I was thinking about buying a Widget from ACME Search & Rescue Inc, rumor has it, they import their equipment from China.  Does anyone have any experience with this or have any knowledge of the company?"

Nothing wrong with it.
Serving since 1987.

Luis R. Ramos

All-

There is no such gossip.

I am asking as the OP whether he reproduces the patches. Because he asked my squadron for a patch. Because it was denied by the previous CC. Now he asks again. So my current CC wanted my opinion, as well as the opinion of another member.

Can't I have some concern?

Then I read someone posting "I have his book." As if he sells these books. So he cannot sell more than one book if he has only one patch.

Can't I try to get more info, as to whether the patch will be used for, golly! The purposes that have been ascribed?

I have not seen his book, so I need more info. If he uses the patch to make a photo then sells the book, I would have no problems asking my CC o send him one. Is this what he does?

Flyer
Squadron Safety Officer

a2capt

The book has photos of patches. You only need one .. to do that. :)

Luis R. Ramos

A2-

Thank you for your response. I think I will tell my CC that we should send him one patch with a little bit of squadron history.

Flyer
Squadron Safety Officer

ol'fido

Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

a2capt

Quote from: ol'fido on February 26, 2013, 12:45:00 AMCan we order copies of the book?
The needed information is available at the NHQ Volunteer Now news item page.

Excerpt from the above link:
-------
Copies of the publication are available from LaShomb for $23 and a new or used region, group, squadron or activity (encampment, drill team and the like) patch. Without the patch, the cost is $28. Both prices – payable by check or money order -- include postage and insurance.

Orders should go to:

Roger LaShomb
1592 County Route 38   
Norfolk NY 13667
--------
Your patch is a $5 coupon. Eventually he'll have "them all" :)

Майор Хаткевич

Seems pretty steep for a book to me...

SarDragon

Quote from: usafaux2004 on February 26, 2013, 06:47:08 AM
Seems pretty steep for a book to me...

For color pictures? You haven't checked book prices much lately.

Here's an even kooler patch book, with an original hard cover price of $22.95 in 2007.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

GroundHawg

Mr LaShomb has purchased several squadron patches from me via eBay and has never been anything but professional.

flyboy53

Quote from: flyer333555 on February 25, 2013, 06:40:25 PM
All-

There is no such gossip.

I am asking as the OP whether he reproduces the patches. Because he asked my squadron for a patch. Because it was denied by the previous CC. Now he asks again. So my current CC wanted my opinion, as well as the opinion of another member.

Can't I have some concern?

Then I read someone posting "I have his book." As if he sells these books. So he cannot sell more than one book if he has only one patch.

Can't I try to get more info, as to whether the patch will be used for, golly! The purposes that have been ascribed?

I have not seen his book, so I need more info. If he uses the patch to make a photo then sells the book, I would have no problems asking my CC o send him one. Is this what he does?

Flyer

Although I understand your concern, someone is all wet.

I would recommend getting the book first, if you have an issue about providing a unit patch. You won't be disappointed.

If you have a patch, you are trading it to offset the cost of the book. If you don't have a patch, then I guess it would be at full cost.

The whole point of the book is to provide a historical perspective of CAP patches and there is plenty to look at.

I, too, have contributed to this book and received a copy for free because I had a number of patches for units that were either no longer in existence or the patch that I had, had changed to a newer version.

The answer about the reproduction of patches is "NO." Besides, what would be the point of reproducing patches? Remember that when a unit patch is created, it is then submitted to a higher headquarters for approval -- in part because CAP insignia is licensed. I wouldn't want to be reproducing patches without the expressed approval of the appropriate authority -- even though I know there are plenty of people on e-bay that do just that.

In this case, however, the author doesn't sell anything other than the book -- he subsidizes the cost of the book in trade for patches at what most certainly would be a personal expense. The idea is to provide more material for another edition with a larger collection of CAP insignia.

Having designed and then ordered unit patches, I can tell you that the cost of reproducing patches at the scope that you are suggesting would be tremendously prohibitive and could result in some legal issues.

Private Investigator

Quote from: flyer333555 on February 25, 2013, 06:40:25 PMBecause he asked my squadron for a patch. Because it was denied by the previous CC. Now he asks again. So my current CC wanted my opinion, as well as the opinion of another member.

It is all about the history of CAP. Your previous CC was petty in my opinion.

http://www.incountry.us/cappatches/

Has a very informative listing of Squadron patches.   

Luis R. Ramos

Unfortunately, my CC needed a recommendation like three days ago.

Sometimes you are in no position to order something before making a recommendation. To wait until I could order the book without a recommendation meant he would have to wait at least six months or more.

Anyway, the decision was made like the day before yesterday.

Both squadron members our CC asked have recommended sending one.

If a moderator reads this message, can you please close it? The issue has been resolved.

Thank you,

Flyer
Squadron Safety Officer