Stevie Ray Vaughan

Started by Devil Doc, January 27, 2013, 09:33:38 PM

Devil Doc

On August 27, 1990, all of the musicians boarded four helicopters bound for Chicago, which were waiting on a nearby golf course. According to a witness, there was reportedly haze and fog of varying intensity with patches of low clouds. Despite the conditions, the pilots were instructed to fly over a 1000-foot ski hill. Vaughan, along with three members of Clapton's entourage, boarded the third of the four helicopters–a Bell 206B Jet Ranger–flying to Meigs Field. At about 12:50 am (CDT) the helicopter departed from an elevation of about 850 feet, veered to the left and crashed into the hill. All of the passengers, including the pilot, Jeff Brown, were killed instantly. In Clapton: The Autobiography, Eric Clapton explains that his seat was not given to Vaughan, although two members of Clapton's road crew were on board with Vaughan at the time of the crash.

At 4:30 am, Civil Air Patrol was notified of the accident, ultimately locating the crash site almost three hours later. Both Clapton and Jimmie were told to identify the bodies; a Coptic cross necklace, worn by Vaughan, was given to Jimmie. The Walworth County coroner conducted an autopsy and found that Vaughan suffered from multiple internal and skull injuries.The cause of death was officially stated as "exsanguination due to transverse laceration of the aorta". According to the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, a veteran pilot for Alpine Valley suspected that Brown attempted to fly around the ski hill, but misjudged the location.[109] Clapton issued a statement the next day, saying that the victims "were my companions, my associates and my friends. This is a tragic loss of some very special people. I will miss all of them very much."

Was any Wisconsin CAP Members there at the Scene? Think is great that a Well known All Time American Guitarist, Prolly the best in the world, was found by the Civil Air Patrol
Captain Brandon P. Smith CAP
Former HM3, U.S NAVY
Too many Awards, Achievments and Qualifications to list.

Garibaldi

A lot of folks I knew when I was in WIWG participated. They told me the payroll was aboard the copter and they had to search for the bills. The ski hill in question can be seen from I-43 between Milwaukee and Madison.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

The CyBorg is destroyed

I wasn't in CAP then, but I remember it.

I fortunately got to see SRV live about three years before that...he could certainly play a bit.  He played amped-up Texas Blues on steroids.

The bitter irony is that a couple of years before he was killed he had finally cleaned-up from booze and drugs, and was enjoying life, his career and playing better than ever. :(
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Devil Doc

Ya, i was only 4 when he was killed  :-[ He cleaned up, because he almost died like other known musicians/guitarist, its a shame a helo took him out. Wasnt there 4 choppers? Just one of them went down? Its a shame because SRV was wanting to get back to Chicago ASAP, so they pushed the ride earlier. Originally wasnt suppose to leave untill the Morning. I wonder was CAP told that is was SRV was one of the casualties? Imagine picking up all the payroll money, i bet they found money for days.
Former HM3, U.S NAVY

The CyBorg is destroyed

When I saw him, he played a LONG show with lots of guitar solos...for guitar-heads like me it was quite a treat.

He didn't have a lot of gear, either...Fender Stratocaster, Fender Twin Reverb amplifier, and just a touch of wah-wah here and there.

Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Rick-DEL

I saw him at Aloha stadium with Eddie Money and ZZ Top. Eddie Money got booed off too, and he didn't walk off the stage as the most pleasant fella either. The stage was set up on the field and the military had dibs on the covered turf.

Walkman

I got to see his second-to-last show. He played in Michigan, then on to another venue, then the accident. I was, and still am, a huge fan.

Devil Doc

I gew up listening to him. Just found my love for him again, baught a CD for $5 at wolly world best money i have ever spent.
Former HM3, U.S NAVY