Squadron Histories

Started by jbell, January 19, 2013, 01:50:29 AM

jbell

I'm a newer squadron historian with a degree in history, but I can't seem to find a completed Squadron History to look at as an example for writing my squadron's annual history. I'm also curious to know what sorts of things folks have written monographs, special studies/histories on in order to earn speciality track ratings. Any ideas would be welcome.

2d Lt. Joshua Bel
Squadron Historian
Lt. Col. Frank Pocher Minute Man Squadron
Joshua Bell, 2d Lt.
Squadron Historian

GroundHawg

Every week, my squadron sends out an email with the breakdown of the weeks activiites. ES, AE, PT, UOTD, promotions, awards, transfers, who was there, special activities, encampments, SAREXs, wing functions,  updates on past members, etc...

Monthly, I condense this info into a report style word doc and send it to wing. Almost 2 years now I have never gotten a reply, but I send them anyway.  ;)

AdAstra

The only published guidance for these annual reports is CAPP 5, Handbook for CAP Historians, which is intimidating! But understand that the format laid out in the Handbook is for the wing's annual history, which is a major project.

For the unit report, the format is not nearly as important as the story you tell. Focusing on the unit, what tells the story of your unit, its accomplishments, activities and members during the year? That can take a page or two, or run to 10 or 20 pages in length.
What should you include in your unit's annual historian report? At the very least, include the following:
•   Narrative of significant accomplishments and events during the year
•   Personnel Authorizations
•   Organizational chart
•   Promotions
•   Awards
•   Calendar of unit activities and events
•   Unit newsletters
•   Newspaper articles
•   Photographs of significant events
•   After action reports of major unit activities

Through out the year, work with other staff officers to collect and save these items. For instance, my mantra with Public Affairs Officers is: "You've successfully recorded and shared our unit's activities, awards and accomplishments during the year. Thank you. On 1 January it becomes "history" and the unit historian is now responsible for recording and preserving it."
Charles Wiest

ol'fido

Most "official" histories are very dry and statistically driven documents that are almost immediately filed away and forgotten. I like the approach taken by some RAF units. Read the BG Robin Olds bio "Fighter Pilot" especially the chapter that deals with his RAF exchange time just after WW2. The RAF squadron had what they called "bumpf". Bound scrapbooks/official logs that recorded significant events in the squadron.

Another thing that might help keep track of some of this is to slightly modify your squadron's meeting sign in sheet. On the back print out places to record the meeting schedule, promotions, awards, significant events, and general remarks. If you take pictures, print these out(6 or 8 photos to a sheet of paper) and attach it to the sign in sheet and then archive it.

Also, be ever vigilant(semper vigilans) against people who want to clean out the filing cabinets and storage. These people while well intentioned and doing what is some times necessary can unintentionally throw out significant pieces of your units history.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

vento

It may sound funny, but a good chunk of our squadron history is actually (unintentionally) preserved in Facebook's timeline.

jbell

Thanks for the advice, everyone.

Joshua Bell, 2d Lt.
Squadron Historian