Searching for authoritative source

Started by Smithsonia, March 30, 2011, 05:22:14 PM

Major Lord

I totally agree. As an investigator, in writing reports, it is important to differentiate between historical fact ( if there is such a thing) hearsay ( which is not always improper) and speculation or interpretation. To say that we are "credited" with a sub kill as a recruiting tool is borderline unethical. Like the ancients Greeks compared to the modern Greeks, we are totally different than our wartime predecessor. We are a different people, with a different language, a different religion, and a different value system. I point this out because I don't believe that the veracity of the claims is vitally important to CAP's current climate, but from a historical perspective, selling major disinformation is not likely to help our credibility in the future. I don't hang my hat on CAP's kills. (Although the Munchkin is undeniable)  The way, for instance, that  the various leadership scandals in CAP migrate quickly to a very different set of interpretations is a good example of the slow path to historical revisionism. ( ten years from now, we will probably have the "Tony Pineda Achievement Award. ) Truth has innate value, but lies have some utility too.....

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

RiverAux

It is truly unfortunate that no real history of CAP has ever been published.  And by "real", I mean one with all the footnotes leading you to original records and other source materials that Smithsonia discusses.  I was hopeful that the CAP history book that came out a few years ago would be of that nature, but wasn't terribly surprised that it was nothing more than a nice pictorial history.  Those have their place, but aren't the best. 

The CAP historical program actually encourages that sort of detailed work, especially in regards to annual historical reports.  But, I don't think anyone actually produces any of them, and if they did, CAP doesn't actually have a process for saving them anyway.