WW2 German Submarine "Top Secret" Briefing

Started by Smithsonia, June 21, 2010, 03:34:04 PM

Smithsonia

Likely you have never seen this WW2 secret briefing. It was done semi-monthly during WW2. Activities of Civil Air Patrol, the Navy, Coast Guard, and Air Corps are reviewed in this previously *Top Secret Document*.

From June '43 the Anti Sub war was was just turning in the favor of the Allies. As such, this briefing document is momentous.
http://www.scribd.com/doc/33334781/WWII-1943-U-Boat-Monthly-Report-June

Give it time to load.

This and several thousand similar documents will be posted online in early July. We'll announce this significant history research website shortly
(in about 2 weeks)
this document has come to me through the excellent research of Lt. Col. Mark Hess of the Georgia Wing
With regards;
ED OBRIEN

NIN

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Smithsonia

This briefing would have been available to CAP Sub hunting base commanders, Ops, and intel officers only but wouldn't have been distributed. Pertinent information would've been gleaned, summarized, and briefed to crews. Personnel at large would've been out of the loop.

I found the depth of understanding, resources, and compositing of information stunning. BUT, this is a document that I haven't seen before. If they were putting out a 60 plus page document every two weeks... well there must have been a huge staff to build these briefing books.

Once again. This is just a pass along by me. The real credit belongs to Lt. Col. Hess.
With regards;
ED OBRIEN

johnboy

It's not top secret if  you are telling us about this! ;D
C/SSgt John C. Newsom
NCWG
MER-NC-048

MIKE

Hence the UNCLASSIFIED stamped all over it.
Mike Johnston

RiverAux

I think there is the potential for a ton of WWII-era CAP materials to be found in various archives.  Its unfortunate that probably our most well documented era is that one and that future historians will have so little to work with regarding the rest of our history. 

Smithsonia

^^^^
RiverAux;
I've been working on a history website that is on Scribd with Lt. Col. Mark Hess for nearly a year. That site will be launched next month. Eventually we will have more items from the 50s than the 40s. I'll post those addresses after the 4th of July.
With regards;
ED OBRIEN

tsrup

I found it interesting that the CAPCP was only about 3000 hours behind the Army Air Force Anti sub command in total flying hours.
Good on em, and thanks for digging this up!
Paramedic
hang-around.

Smithsonia

Here's the same semi-monthly Sub Hunt briefer for an earlier time, Dec, '42:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/33383846/WWII-1942-U-Boat-Monthly-Report-Dec
This one is from a day when things weren't going quite so well.

Again, allow it time to load.
With regards;
ED OBRIEN

Major Carrales

How much stuff these days is "FOUO" in CAP that the public has no idea we are doing?  There is a parallel with somethings...I wonder what gems are amid these documents waiting for us to uncover.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

Smithsonia

From the marvelous archives of Lt. Col. Mark Hess. From Feb 19 '42 through July 7 '42 these are the ships reported as sunk by U-boats to CAP Base 3
SHIPs name:

S.S. Pan Massachusetts - Republic - W.D. Anderson - Cities Service Empire - SS Leslie - SS Korsholm - La Paz - Ocean Venus
Laertes - Sama - Eclipse - Halsey - Amazone - Java Arrow - Ohioan - Lubrafol - Potrero del Liano - Umtata - plus 4 more unnamed
vessels

Total Lives lost: 155
Total Lives saved: 492
With regards;
ED OBRIEN

N Harmon

Excuse me. Does this website work for anybody? This Scribd.com? I have tried opening this in IE, Firefox, and now Google Chrome and all I get an utter mess of a webpage. Am I missing a browser add-on?

NATHAN A. HARMON, Capt, CAP
Monroe Composite Squadron

vento

Quote from: N Harmon on August 20, 2010, 12:10:51 PM
Excuse me. Does this website work for anybody? This Scribd.com? I have tried opening this in IE, Firefox, and now Google Chrome and all I get an utter mess of a webpage. Am I missing a browser add-on?

I just tried, it worked ok with my IE8. Just be patient, it took a good while to load the first page. It looked gibrish before it loaded completely...

Smithsonia

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
It was loading slow for me too - but 15 seconds for the first page and 5-10 seconds per page... then 3-5 seconds towards the last half of the download... 180 pages is going to take a bit of time. 10 to 12 minutes should be the loading time. At least it was for me.

Scribd.com takes some load time but these documents are worth the wait.
With regards;
ED OBRIEN