EAS and Wireless EAS tests this weekend (20 Sept 2018)

Started by Eclipse, September 18, 2018, 04:59:02 PM

Eclipse

https://www.fema.gov/news-release/2018/07/23/nationwide-test-emergency-alert-system-be-conducted-september-20-2018

WASHINGTON – The Federal Emergency Management Agency, in coordination with the Federal Communications Commission (FCC), will conduct a nationwide test of the Emergency Alert System (EAS) and Wireless Emergency Alert (WEA) on September 20, 2018 (primary date) or October 3, 2018 (secondary date). The WEA portion of the test commences at 2:18 PM EDT and the EAS portion follows at 2:20 p.m. EDT. The test will assess the operational readiness of the infrastructure for distribution of a national message and determine whether technological improvements are needed.

"That Others May Zoom"

jeders

Quote from: Eclipse on September 18, 2018, 04:59:02 PM
https://www.fema.gov/news-release/2018/07/23/nationwide-test-emergency-alert-system-be-conducted-september-20-2018

WASHINGTON – The Federal Emergency Management Agency, in coordination with the Federal Communications Commission (FCC), will conduct a nationwide test of the Emergency Alert System (EAS) and Wireless Emergency Alert (WEA) on September 20, 2018 (primary date) or October 3, 2018 (secondary date). The WEA portion of the test commences at 2:18 PM EDT and the EAS portion follows at 2:20 p.m. EDT. The test will assess the operational readiness of the infrastructure for distribution of a national message and determine whether technological improvements are needed.

I saw something yesterday that they've pushed it back to Oct 3 due to Florence.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

Eclipse

Quote from: jeders on September 18, 2018, 05:09:46 PM
I saw something yesterday that they've pushed it back to Oct 3 due to Florence.

Yep:  https://www.wafb.com/2018/09/17/nationwide-test-emergency-alert-system-scheduled-october/

I only knew about it at all off a notice from my Village this AM.

"That Others May Zoom"

TheSkyHornet

I see the social media outrage on this subject...and my question is this: How does it differ from an emergency broadcast on television? The medium changed, not the practice of doing it. Nationwide broadcasting through communications technology has been used for quite some time. So this isn't anything new.

Eclipse

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on September 19, 2018, 01:30:42 PM
I see the social media outrage on this subject...and my question is this: How does it differ from an emergency broadcast on television? The medium changed, not the practice of doing it. Nationwide broadcasting through communications technology has been used for quite some time. So this isn't anything new.

It's so dumb - recreational outrage about things people don't understand.

"How can I block the Presidential Warnings?"

Excellent plan.

"That Others May Zoom"

TheSkyHornet

Caveat:
By no intent am I invoking political discussion here.

From an IT standpoint, what's the big issue? It's been done long before.

Now cue the "Hawaii False Alarm" scenario.

Eclipse

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on September 19, 2018, 01:46:35 PM

Agreed and understood, my point as well.

Literally the reason for this round of testing is to see what, if any, carriers are blocking
or otherwise unable to pass the alerts should one be necessary.

"That Others May Zoom"

PHall

Caveat:

The Hawaii incident is a one off event. It was the result of a gentleman who had trouble telling the difference between exercise and real world events.
The false alarm incident was just his latest and greatest and he should have been removed from his job long before he finally was.

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: PHall on September 19, 2018, 02:56:25 PM
Caveat:

The Hawaii incident is a one off event. It was the result of a gentleman who had trouble telling the difference between exercise and real world events.
The false alarm incident was just his latest and greatest and he should have been removed from his job long before he finally was.

No disagreement. It was more so in jest than to "raise alarms" (no pun intended).

In the grand scheme of things, I don't really see a Constitutional crisis here, which is what is being alleged. It's not like this is a total takeover of the citizenry. It's an emergency broadcast (Amber Alerts do the same thing).

Nick

Did you see the UI of the alert selection screen? It was by far the most god awful thing I've seen since the mid-90s.

Nicholas McLarty, Lt Col, CAP
Texas Wing Staff Guy
National Cadet Team Guy Emeritus

Spam

Quote from: Nick on September 20, 2018, 03:37:25 AM
Did you see the UI of the alert selection screen? It was by far the most god awful thing I've seen since the mid-90s.

It is user interfaces like that which keep me gainfully employed fixing bad designs.
I've managed to suspend disbelief closer to home with respect to the horrible ongoing slow motion crash of eServices/WMIRS design.

V/r
Spam

sarmed1

From the comments I have seen, the nay sayers think it is going to be used by the President himself to send personal/political messages directly to the country in a twitter esque format vs an emergency alerting platform.

MK
Capt.  Mark "K12" Kleibscheidel

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: sarmed1 on September 21, 2018, 01:49:34 PM

From the comments I have seen, the nay sayers think it is going to be used by the President himself to send personal/political messages directly to the country in a twitter esque format vs an emergency alerting platform.

MK

That's exactly what I was getting at...like there's some abuse of my cellphone going on here.

And this is where I want to avoid any political remarks here; but I'm going with it being politically motivated as to why there is this outrage...or as Eclipse called it, "recreational outrage"

CAPLTC

It's postponed.
No one watched broadcast teevee anymore so IPAWS and EAS are reaching citizens via the means most have persistent access to - the cell glued to their hand.
"Find the enemy that wants to end this experiment (in American democracy) and kill every one of them until they're so sick of the killing that they leave us and our freedoms intact." -- SECDEF Mattis