The New CAPM 39-1 Now Available

Started by MisterCD, June 26, 2014, 05:25:56 PM

Ned

I worked on it, but don't remember the discussions on this particular issue.

The NUC is meeting soon, and I'll see if I can get it on the agenda.

Storm Chaser

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: Storm Chaser on July 18, 2014, 05:30:40 PM
I don't know, but it would be nice if someone could offer some factual information on what happened, other that conjectures or assumptions.

Indeed.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: CyBorg on July 18, 2014, 06:20:58 PM
Quote from: Storm Chaser on July 18, 2014, 05:30:40 PM
I don't know, but it would be nice if someone could offer some factual information on what happened, other that conjectures or assumptions.

Indeed.

Quote from: Storm Chaser on July 18, 2014, 05:43:37 PM
Thanks, Ned!

Again Jedi Master Ned steps in. ;D
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

supertigerCH

Quote from: Ned on July 18, 2014, 05:41:26 PM
I worked on it, but don't remember the discussions on this particular issue.

The NUC is meeting soon, and I'll see if I can get it on the agenda.

Much appreciated Ned!

Ned

So, after a discussion with NUC and NHQ folks, it appears that the text / image mismatch on the BDU / BBDU tapes is indeed an artifact from a proposal concerning the ABU. 

They were already aware of the issue and are working the correction.  Watch for "change 1" to the 39-1 to arrive shortly after the summer CC meeting that will address this and a few other minor corrections.

Bottom line - we will continue to use the ultramarine blue tapes that we have used for many years and that share a USAF heritage.

Ned Lee
Member at Large, NUC

The CyBorg is destroyed

Thank you, Colonel Lee.  That's kind of what I figured you'd say.

Although I think ultramarine looks bad on the BDU's, they don't look horrible on the BBDU's.

Anyway, it would be too much of a PITA to take my existing insignia off, get new ones and put them on. 8)
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

LSThiker

Quote from: Ned on July 22, 2014, 04:11:17 PM
Bottom line - we will continue to use the ultramarine blue tapes that we have used for many years and that share a USAF heritage.

Thanks.  Always good to have clarification even if we assumed that to be true.

GroundHawg

Quote from: SARDOC on July 10, 2014, 11:19:21 PM
Quote from: shuman14 on July 10, 2014, 12:21:39 PM
Quotedespite the fact that he was in an Armored (4th Armored) and not an Infantry division.

Wear of the Blue Cord and Discs is by assignment to an Infantry Billet within any given type of Unit not by assignment to a Unit itself.

For example the cooks in the 1st Infantry Division do not wear the Cord and Discs because they are assigned to a Cook's Billet, the type of Division matters not.

In any given Armored Division there will be numerous Infantry Billets which would have authorized your father the right to wear the Cord and Discs.

That's True.  I was in a Cavalry Unit...my Company was the infantry component...Blue Cords and Disks with the Cavalry Stetson and Spurs

I was in the same boat. I took an inordinate amount of crap when I did my spur ride and when I got my combat spurs for being an 11 series. 

Panache

(sigh)

PHall

Quote from: Panache on July 25, 2014, 08:16:37 AM

(sigh)

What's with the sigh? ???   

supertigerCH

Thanks for checking on it Mr. Lee... and for clearing things up.

Most of us had a feeling that would be the answer, but it's always good to have everything spelled out in a way that's 100% clear.

Storm Chaser

What's the rationale with keeping the ultramarine tapes on the corporate field uniform? They look out of place.

Phil Hirons, Jr.

Having the nametapes be uniform?  >:D

Storm Chaser

LSThiker

Quote from: Storm Chaser on July 26, 2014, 04:02:15 PM
What's the rationale with keeping the ultramarine tapes on the corporate field uniform? They look out of place.

I have a feeling that it is at least two fold.  For one is the uniformity in the name tapes.  But also, help prevent the costs from sky rocketing.  Since the transition was suppose to be in response to getting ABUs, there was no was reason to make the change.  For members wearing the BDUs, transitioning to ABUs would require sewing new patches and tapes on.  So the over all cost was minimal.  In addition, the National could drop the cost of having two different colored insignia at Vanguard.  Thus, it would make sense to force BBDU members to make the switch, even though they would get hit with an expense. 

Now that none of that is happening, there was really no justification to require members to get new tapes.  Especially after the change from CAP to US CAP to CAP plus removing the flag and rearranging patches. 

The CyBorg is destroyed

Yet we are authorised to have navy-blue backed grade insignia on flight suits...
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

supertigerCH

Great point Cyborg. 

Thinker has given us a good explanation (that has a lot of truth in it)... however, Cyborg asked the million dollar question.  If all those things are true about minimizing costs... then why make so many of the members of CAP who wear navy blue flight suits buy 2 colors of name tapes?  It just doesn't make much sense.

Storm Chaser... I think you're right too.  Even if we concede that there are some reasons to keep using Ultramarine Blue on the BDU uniform (distinctiveness, Air Force history, etc)... why must the BBDUs not be allowed to have name tapes that match the uniform being worn?  Again... just hard to make sense out of it all.

On the other hand... not everything is about making sense (as most of us know from experience)... and in the end things like this are not the reasons why we are part of CAP.  so i guess as always... it comes down to let it go, drive on , and do what we're here to do.

Sketch

So I've been trying to get a definitive answer on whether or not senior members may wear NCSA patches earned while as a cadet on BDUs. I've heard a few conflicting answers but generally I get the standard "I dont know, go look it up." I've searched through the new 39-1 and unless I missed something (which is probably the case) both Ch. 5 and Ch. 10 say nothing about this. So what is the policy on seniors wearing NCSA patches?

Here is all I could find:
Quote10.7.15. National Cadet Special Activities (NCSA) Patch. Members who have successfully completed an NHQ-endorsed NCSA may wear the associated patch as reflected on the NHQ-website. Patches earned for prior NCSAs which are no longer current or in this list may continue to be worn.

SarDragon

My interpretation - Member implies cadet or SM, so patches earned as a cadet may be worn after crossing to the dark side.

The bigger question is - should they be worn by SMs? I think folks should move on and wear SM patches that they have earned, and save the cadet patches for "I love me" wall decoration.

YMMV.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret