The New CAPM 39-1 Now Available

Started by MisterCD, June 26, 2014, 05:25:56 PM

lordmonar

Quote from: Eclipse on June 27, 2014, 04:38:35 PM
Quote from: Storm Chaser on June 27, 2014, 04:02:37 PM
That's because the CPR patch is akin the Emergency Services patch; you have to be current and qualified to wear it.

Agreed - it's just another permanently awarded badge.

For the CPR patch, you have to be super-hero excited about advertising something not required in CAP and that most people do as a matter of course.
you are forgetting to think like a 12 year old
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

lordmonar

Quote from: DoubleSecret on June 27, 2014, 04:46:01 PM
Quote from: Storm Chaser on June 27, 2014, 04:02:37 PM

Quote from: DoubleSecret on June 27, 2014, 12:43:53 PM
So you have to be current to wear the CPR patch (see 10.7.23), but former emergency medical technicians can wear the EMT badge (see 10.4.7). 

*facepalm*

That's because the CPR patch is akin the Emergency Services patch; you have to be current and qualified to wear it. And the EMT badge is akin the Ground Team badge; it's a permanent award that can continued to be worn once earned.

It's great until a situation arises, someone sees that badge on a long-uncertified member wearing the corporate field uniform, and expects EMT/paramedic response.  Potential PR nightmare for CAP, along these lines.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/charges-dropped-emt-called-911-pregnant-woman-died-article-1.1381913
Now that's a stretch if ever I heard one! 

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Eclipse

The entirety of that situation, and all involved, have more personal drama then anyone should have.

One wrinkle is that, at least according to the news, she was on break, but was on duty.
Odds are this was a back room union discussion and now the city will settle with the woman's
family and it will all be forgotten.  Her attitude and those smiling photos don't do here any favors, either.

Leaver her on the desk job.

"That Others May Zoom"

NIN

Quote from: Pulsar on June 27, 2014, 01:06:07 PM
Why did the change the insignia requirements for a C/AB? Why are they now not allowed to wear the cap cutouts?

This was one of the recommendations I made (and I'm sure others did, too) to help keep costs for new cadets under control.

C/ABs buy cutouts to wear until they make C/Amn.  Thats 5-10 weeks or so, right?  Probably way less because they don't have a uniform until pretty close to getting promoted to Airman.  So they wear them 2-3 times? Maybe a half dozen tops?

And the next time a cadet wears cutouts is ... C/2dLt.

Since so many of our cadets don't even make it to their Mitchell, why bother?  $4.50 or so in insignia for a couple weeks worth of wear? 

It may not seem like much, but it does add up. Plus, really, what does it add?

Why are they making the US flag optional?

The flag is NOT optional. The flag is no longer required and after 2017 will be no longer allowed for wear. (long phase in... although I will tell you that the flag is off my BDUs right now)

The flag was removed from the uniform for several reasons:

1) The USAF does not wear a flag on BDUs (not that they wear them anymore) or ABUs;
2) The US Flag was authorized briefly for certain deployments OCONUS (ie. the multi-national force in Kosovo), but was specifically disallowed for wear in CONUS;
3) Under the current AFI, apart from flying uniforms, flags are not authorized on the utility (ABU) uniform;
4) Under the previous AFI, flags were specifically disallowed on BDUSs.
5) The only US service that wears a flag on their utility uniform is the Army;
6) It was only added in 2007 as part of a number of other initiatives: "U.S. CIVIL AIR PATROL" on the name tapes/tags, the corporate service uniform and IIRC, the U.S. on the Command Patch.  All of those other initiatives have subsequently been eliminated from our uniform wear methods except the flag.
7) Prior to 2007, we did not wear a US Flag on our utility (BDU) uniforms. Nor did we wear it on the OG-107 fatigue uniforms.  Matter of fact, it wasn't worn for any other part of our prior history before 2007.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Camas

Quote from: JoeTomasone on June 27, 2014, 05:28:00 PM
Cite, please.  :)
CAPM 39-1 Paragraph 1-4 as already mentioned. A lot of us may have missed that.

Eclipse

Quote from: NIN on June 27, 2014, 06:20:30 PM

The flag is NOT optional. The flag is no longer required and after 2017 will be no longer allowed for wear. (long phase in... although I will tell you that the flag is off my BDUs right now)

Page 148, seventh item under notes:
     "Optional for wear until that date."

Pedantry provided at no charge!

"That Others May Zoom"

Storm Chaser

Quote from: Eclipse on June 27, 2014, 07:05:02 PM

They should've use different wording, such as "mandatory removal date" or something to that effect. Frankly, I don't understand the long phase out date for something that can easily be removed. Long phase out dates are usually given when a member may have to incur in additional cost to comply. That's certainly not the case here. 

The CyBorg is destroyed

I suppose it was too much to ask to have a decent headgear for the G/W, especially given that black fleece jackets are now authorised for said combo.

The undefined "baseball cap," not to mention vague, with a uniform that is to make us look "professional," makes us look like service station attendants (full disclosure: my father was one for many years before starting his own auto repair business).

By broad definition, any and all of these are "CAP baseball caps."  Why?

They are baseball (or "trucker") hats.

They have various permutations of the CAP insignia.

http://www.zazzle.com/civil+air+patrol+hats

http://www.cafepress.co.uk/+civil-air-patrol+hats-caps

It would have been very easy to offer a grey(ish) flight-cap-type of headdress, like this Royal Netherlands Air Force example (minus Dutch Crown and wing device):

Ah, well, I suppose I can always acquire one of these Swedish Air Force caps, take the insignia off it (rendering it "civilian," and unlike a flight/overseas/forage/wedge cap, is not easily identifiable as "military") and wear that.  The ear flaps would be helpful in these cold Great Lakes Region winters too.

Exiled from GLR-MI-011

AlphaSigOU

And we'll be sure there will be some who will wear the flag patch until the very last day it's authorized.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

NIN

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on June 27, 2014, 08:04:13 PM
And we'll be sure there will be some who will wear the flag patch until the very last day it's authorized.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

NIN

Quote from: Eclipse on June 27, 2014, 07:05:02 PM

Awesome. :)
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

Garibaldi

My DCC says he is mandating its madatoriness for the cadets until the very last day.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

Storm Chaser

Quote from: Garibaldi on June 27, 2014, 08:08:02 PM

My DCC says he is mandating its madatoriness for the cadets until the very last day.

Unless the unit plans to issue these, I don't see how (or better yet, why) he would make an optional patch mandatory.

wacapgh

7) Prior to 2007, we did not wear a US Flag on our utility (BDU) uniforms. Nor did we wear it on the OG-107 fatigue uniforms.  Matter of fact, it wasn't worn for any other part of our prior history before 2007.

Not quite.

As part of the "Bicentennial Fever" that was sweeping the good ol' USA back in the "Jurassic Age" (1976), American flags were authorized for wear on the right sleeve of Field Jackets. No specifications as to size, color, borders, or exact placement were given.

Found one at police/fire shop that was "D-Day Airborne" size.

NIN

I stand completely corrected, sir. By the time I joined in 1981 all of that had gone away again.

However, I too would have probably looked for the d-day sized flag.... ;)
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

Eclipse

We have always worn them on the flight suits.

Are pilots and smurfs more patriotic then ground pounders?

"That Others May Zoom"

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: Eclipse on June 27, 2014, 08:56:44 PM
We have always worn them on the flight suits.

Are pilots and smurfs more patriotic then ground pounders?

The patch configuration for CAP flight suits is identical to that of Air Mobility Command, except for the plastic grade insignia and leather name tag.
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: NIN on June 27, 2014, 08:06:59 PM

No, no, no... this one's better!

KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

RiverAux

Quote from: Marvin on June 27, 2014, 01:33:25 AM
Quote from: RiverAux on June 26, 2014, 09:50:38 PM
Still can't believe that we decided to downplay the importance of uniforms by no longer requiring them to be worn during normal CAP duties.

Forgive my ignorance, but where was that specified in the old version?  I know there were specific times, such as in CAP A/C, working with cadets, etc., but I don't remember requiring uniforms for all CAP duties.  Thanks in advance for helping me.

Table 1-1 row 6.  Has "Wear" checked next to "when engaged in normal duties as a CAP member or attending local,
wing/region, or national CAP functions"

Eclipse

And we'll be sure there will be some who will wear the flag patch until well past the very last day it's authorized.

Sorry, had to fix that...

"That Others May Zoom"