Main Menu

Our Safety Officer

Started by MustangCadet, December 30, 2005, 01:16:14 AM

MustangCadet

In my squadron we have a very "ambitious"  safety officer and she tends to make everyone not like her and has caused many cadets to quit the program and has made (myself one of them) not hostile but do not like her and are de-morilized and unmotivated.

I was wandering if anybody has any suggestions about what to do. She does an okay job and  on several accounts i have been told she makes some cadets feel "un-safe."

We need to fix this problem and our SM's are already aware of it. I think all cadets should feel safe at their home squadron and should't feel uncomfterable there.

This is creating a problem with cadets because they are not attending meetings, quitting, and are not participating with our squadron anymore beacuse of her.

PLEASE HELP. We can use all suggestions!
C/CMSgt Anthony Gallozzi
Mustang Cadet Squadron
RMR-CO-148
HGA White Hat '07

Horn229

If the other senior members if your squadron are aware of an issue, then why are you complaining here? Have they not taken care of the problem? Your post seems rather questionable to me, as I have no idea how a safety officer can make people feel "un-safe" or "de-moralized". If the other SM's if your squadron have been aware of the issue and nothing has happened then you need to take it up the chain of command. If after say 1-2 months, and nothing has been done (remember things are most likely happening behind the scenes, and you as a C/SrA won't know about) then the next echelon commander should be notified.
NICHOLAS A. HORN, Senior Member, CAP

whatevah

like C/Maj Horn stated, the only thing you can do, is take your thoughts to the next person in the chain of command.  Since you don't mention your status in the unit, I'll guess you are a flight member.  During free time at a meeting, or over the phone, talk to your flight sergeant about it.  If your flight sergeant aggrees, he/she will take it to either the flight commander or first sergeant (depending on how your unit is set up), and it'll go up the chain.

take it from experience, don't complain about senior members in your unit online. :)
Jerry Horn
CAPTalk Co-Admin

whatevah

since this is really a personel problem, not a "Safety" topic, I'm moving this thread.
Jerry Horn
CAPTalk Co-Admin

PWK-GT

Quote from: MustangCadet on December 30, 2005, 01:16:14 AM
In my squadron we have a very "ambitious"  safety officer and she tends to make everyone not like her and has caused many cadets to quit the program and has made (myself one of them) not hostile but do not like her and are de-morilized and unmotivated.

I was wandering if anybody has any suggestions about what to do. She does an okay job and  on several accounts i have been told she makes some cadets feel "un-safe."

We need to fix this problem and our SM's are already aware of it. I think all cadets should feel safe at their home squadron and should't feel uncomfterable there.

This is creating a problem with cadets because they are not attending meetings, quitting, and are not participating with our squadron anymore beacuse of her.

PLEASE HELP. We can use all suggestions!
While you are waiting for things to play out in your chain-of-command, perhaps some examples of the alledged behavior is in order.........the feedback might make you entertain other viewpoints before you judge this Safety Officer firsthand. Just my $0.02 worth.......
"Is it Friday yet"

Eclipse

Ditto - while important in the grand scheme, I can't imagine what level of input a safety Officer could have that would cause members to quit.

I know back this way >ANY< Senior who caused someone else to quit would be in the spotlight as well and considered for re-education.

From a professionalism standpoint, you should address this through the chain, but I also wouldn't recommend you let this sit on anyone's desk too long.  Especially for cadets, any member, Senior or otherwise who is negatively effecting your experience should at a minimum be addressed directly.  Since you are in a cadet unit, the senior's only reason for belonging is supposed to be focused on the cadets*.

At the same time, be prepared and professional in your reaction should you find, as mentioned above, that there is more to this than you are aware.

I would also heed the warning about publicly posting complaints about specific people.
These boards don't exist in a vacuum and word gets around, especially unflattering word.
(Midway Six is a Poopy Pants! - let's see how long it takes to get back to him)

The truth shall set you free, and will protect you in a court, but it can also make for uncomfortable dinner conversations...

*Obviously Senior members in cadet units are free to pursue their own goals and prof dev, but from the program's viewpoint, and the CC's requirements, a "Cadet" Squadron is not required to mount a Senior program, and therefore a member in such a position, with a negative impact on cadets should have their involvement questioned.  This would be in contrast to a composite unit with flight activity where the Safety Officer may have a lot to do on the Senior side, limited involvement in the CP, and could be told to simply stay out of the Cadets' way.

"That Others May Zoom"