Coastal Patrol Unit Locations in WW2

Started by wrpawson, July 13, 2007, 05:38:04 AM

wrpawson

Can anyone help with this question:

During WW2 Coastal Patrol Unit 1 was located at Atlantic City, NJ. And Unit 3 was located first in Palm beach and then in Lantana, FL.

I am seeking the locations of Units 2 and 4. Unit 2 was in Delaware, but what city did they fly out of? And Unit 4 ? I have not been able to find any references to it on the internet (unless I am googling the wrong set of terms).

Thanks.

Bill Pawson

Major Carrales

Quote from: wrpawson on July 13, 2007, 05:38:04 AM
Can anyone help with this question:

During WW2 Coastal Patrol Unit 1 was located at Atlantic City, NJ. And Unit 3 was located first in Palm beach and then in Lantana, FL.

I am seeking the locations of Units 2 and 4. Unit 2 was in Delaware, but what city did they fly out of? And Unit 4 ? I have not been able to find any references to it on the internet (unless I am googling the wrong set of terms).

Thanks.

Bill Pawson

Yes, let's make this the thread on that subject.  Post it all here, then we can add it to the CS wiki.   There was one in Corpus Christi and Brownsville, Texas.  At the Brownsville Comp HQ they ahve an "exhibit" and map of all the locations.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

Becks

I was pretty sure there was one here in Charleston SC.

BBATW

SarDragon

#2 was at Rehoboth Beach, Delaware. More here, page 8. It appears that there is only a private seaplane facility there now.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

wrpawson

Unit 2 -- Rehoboth Beach -- that was my gut sense, but I needed some confirmation. OK -- one down. One to go. Where was Unit 4?

I have a copy of the Genral Order awarding the Air Medal to members of Coastal Patrol Units 1 through 4. Unit 4 has 35 names. Most of the guys in that unit have serial numbers beginning with the number "3". So, where was District 3 in WW2 ? That may begin to give us a clue where the CPU patroled.

Thanks.

Bill Pawson

SarDragon

Here's what I've dug up so far:

Base 1 - Atlantic City, NJ
Base 2 - Rehoboth , DE
Base 3 - Lantana, FL
Base 4 - Parksley, VA
Base 5 - Flagler Beach, FL
Base 6 - St. Simons Island, GA
Base 9 - Grand Isle, LA
Base 10 - Beaumont, TX
Base 11 - Pascagoula, MS
Base 12 - Brownsville, TX
Base 14 - Panama City, FL
Base 16 - Manteo, NC   
Base 17 - Riverhead, NY 
Base 18 - Falmouth, MA
Base 19 - Portland, ME
Base 20 - Trenton, ME 
Base 21 - Beaufort, NC 

Biggs Field, TX 
Coastal Patrol Base at Ridgeland, S.C.

There's a site with a whole list (I thimk), but I haven't been able to find it.

http://nywg.cap.gov/NYWHist/ww2/Coastal_Patrol_17.pdf , page 7, has a map!
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

James Shaw

This is the "official" list of CAP Coastal Patrol Bases. This information can be found in the book Flying Minute Men by Robert E. Neprud
Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - Current
USCGA:2018 - Current
SGAUS: 2017 - Current

wrpawson

Well, that was quick and easy. I appreciate the assistance. My thanks to you all.

Bill Pawson

NYWG Historian

The other great resource is From Maine To Mexico by Louis Keefer.  Somewhat tough to find copies, though I think the CAP Historical Foundation may still have copies for donations. http://www.caphistory.org/  Keefer interviewed members from each of the bases and really gives a great feel for the day to day activities, including some photos.  I got hooked on the CAP history stuff when my youngest brother sent me a proof copy of the book he found at a tag sale.

Base 4 was set up at Parksley, VA by a New York Wing member, Isaac "Tubby" Burnham (later of Drexel Burnham Lambert fame) who first served at Base 1 in Atlantic City.  I've met Burnham's son and received a copy of the Base 4 history.  If you'd like a copy, pls. PM me and I'll be happy to email.

For additional history on some of these now-gone airports, I've found the following resource by Paul Freeman which is absolutely terrific! http://www.airfields-freeman.com/index.htm
Peter J. Turecek, Major, CAP
Historian
New York Wing

Major Carrales

So, Corpus Christi was Coastal Patrol Base 15.  Thank you, this may help me in my historical research.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

wrpawson

You know, I started out with the idea of writing a short article on Wynant C. Farr, who dropped the depthcharge on the first sub sunk by CAP. His granddaughter is one of my cousins and I got  bunch of information and documents from her and am working on the article -- which is where my questions are coming up. One document was the General Order for the Air Medal for Coastal Units 1 thru 4 -- 203 names. I spent a few hours entering them in a database -- and then a couple of days (I'm on vacation and love to do this kind of stuff -- it's part of my hobby of genealogy) checking on each person to see what I could find. I started with the Social Security Death Index for their dates of birth and death. I found 51 of the 203 (some, of course died before about 1965 when the SSDI was computerized and thus searchable) and a few -- surprisingly -- are still alive. Then I googled each name -- all 203 -- to see what kind of information might be on the internet. I was surprised to learn just how many of these guys were either already leaders in their careers or became highly successful later (like Isaac Burnham) -- some from wealthy families (e.g. Thomas Eastman) and a few already famous people like Zack Mosely the cartoonist (of Smilin' Jack fame). One interesting name is Smedley D. Butler, who I believe is the son of the Marine General and double MOH winner. Of the 51 men I found in the SSDI their average age in 1942 was just a few months over 34 -- the oldest were in their 50's -- and only 5 were under age 25 years. All these guys were patriots of the highest order -- they found a meaningful way to serve despite "disqualifications" that kept them out of the regular armed forces. Wynant Farr had a bum leg from childhood polio -- but was an accomplished and avid pilot and horseman all his adult life. With each aspect of my research for the Farr article I learn more and more that could tend to make the article much longer than initially envisioned. Perhaps there are several articles in this venture.  Am I having fun yet?

Allthe best,

Bill Pawson

acarlson

Quote from: NYWG Historian on July 13, 2007, 06:08:40 PM
The other great resource is From Maine To Mexico by Louis Keefer.  Somewhat tough to find copies, though I think the CAP Historical Foundation may still have copies for donations. http://www.caphistory.org/ 

I spoke with Drew Steketee of the CAP Historical Foundation (CAPHF)  and bought 8 copies of From Maine To Mexico ... permitted to resell at $20 each as a fundraiser for our unit.

Annette Carlson, 1Lt CAP
PDO, PAO, Pers, & Historian
Doylestown Composite Squadron 907
Doylestown PA

ZigZag911

Bill, this is really interesting stuff...sounds like material for a documentary, maybe get the Military or History Channel interested.

James Shaw

Quote from: ZigZag911 on July 14, 2007, 05:47:48 AM
Bill, this is really interesting stuff...sounds like material for a documentary, maybe get the Military or History Channel interested.

The historical grpup has tried to do that. The money that would be required is ALOT. The target audience is alot smaller than others. They have done smoe smaller 15 blocks on CAP. There is a good 15 minute video available through the historical foundation about CAP for a $15 donation. Drew Steketee is a great person to deal with.
Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - Current
USCGA:2018 - Current
SGAUS: 2017 - Current

RiverAux

Another documentary recently came out of Palm Beach Co. Fl on the Lantana base. 

KFreeman

RiverAux,

The documentary is 'Puddle Jumpers of Lantana' by Historical Society of Palm Beach on DVD for $20. (Info call: 561-832-4164)

Regards,
Ken
Authentic Antique Aviator

PhoenixRisen

I'm not one to normally ressurect threads this old, but being as how it's on the exact topic I'm lookin' for, here goes....

Does anyone have any info about the earlist California units?

I was speaking to someone a while back, and mentioned I was a cadet.  She said there used to be a unit here in Escondido (North San Diego county area).  I was referred to a specific collection of records at a local library, which were donated by a man before he passed away many years ago.  I came across the man's Air Raid Warden ID papers and other WWII-related documents, but nothing specific on the Civil Air Patrol.

I know that it is something that can be easily confused by someone not too familiar with CAP, but I just wanted to make sure about this.  I think it would be really cool to get info on local CAP units in the area from way back.

RiverAux

Well, there may have been a CAP unit, but it wouldn't have been associated with any of the Coastal Patrol bases, which were on the Gulf and Atlantic coasts - none on the Pacific.

PhoenixRisen

Quote from: RiverAux on December 30, 2009, 03:36:58 AM
Well, there may have been a CAP unit, but it wouldn't have been associated with any of the Coastal Patrol bases, which were on the Gulf and Atlantic coasts - none on the Pacific.

Roger.  Does anyone know of a list of all CAP units from that time (not necessary CP units, then)?

RiverAux

Sorry, no such thing exists.  Your best bet is to contact the CA Wing historian and see what they have.