Rediscovering Maj. Gen. John F. Curry

Started by Smithsonia, July 21, 2008, 02:19:20 PM

Smithsonia

After spending nearly a year on research, getting to meet and talk to the Maj. Generals 83 year old daughter Sheila many times, talking to his grandniece Kim, seeing his personal letters and diaries, becoming more familiar with the man than almost anyone left on earth, attending to his grave at various patriotic ceremonies, admiring him and wishing that I had known him, I will end my research for several months.

I think I've done good work. The remaining material that I need is in Washington DC and at Maxwell. I will travel both places next year but that means putting more research on hold.

I've written nearly 50,000 words on this man. My respect for him grows. My appreciation for his noble life expands. That said, there is nothing that I can add for the time being.

I ask that the Captalk Webmasters move this thread to a position of a sticky. If you deem that it not go there, then I will find it again and add material as I am able.

I will be using his biography at several lectures I will give this summer. In these Jack Curry is the narrative character for the rise of American Air Power, the establishment of the Air Force, the building of the Air Force Academy, the study of accomplishment and leadership brought through a military education, and of course as an singularly
indivisible link between CAP - It's future and its past. Jack Curry was one heck of a guy!

Thanks for tuning in. I appreciate the 6000 or so reads of the material. I trust you found it informative. When I have more, I'll write more. For now, I am leaving Jack Curry and his dear wife Eleanor in peace. God bless them both.
With regards;
ED OBRIEN

Cecil DP

Ed
Congraulations on your present and future efforts. I hope that you're able to use the materials for a book or maybe a Master's/Doctoral thesis
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

Smithsonia

Cecil DP'
I have been contacted by a University Press. Nothing has been set up. I did this for the love of bringing a new character (or underexposed character) to light. It is a rare thing to find someone so overlooked. BUT, that makes him even more attractive to me. I like the doers and care less about the show-offs. Gen. Patton/Gen. MacArthur/Hitler/Mussolini/Julius Caesar/ and Bull Halsey, etc. take note. I like Adm Mark Mitscher http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marc_Mitscher, Arliegh Burke http://navysite.de/people/aaburke.htm, and the previously discussed George Kenney, Ira Eakers, and Marty Scanlon  ...I like subjects with the keenest of insights, the truest of spines, fewer glory goofy historians, and less publicity.

I like Jack Curry a lot. That said, I've tried to be intellectually honest and transparent as I've figured out these things.

You must understand that this book thing is not a money maker under the best of circumstances. Old Generals just fade away, you know. So do their biographers. BUT, I think Jack Curry is one of the greatest but most overlooked characters in Air Force/Army Air Corps history. If I can get the Tuskegee Airmen research and the Bomber Mafia/Pursuit Boys discussions/debates all figured out... then frankly this is a book that needs to be written.

I've got 50 never published pictures and I am negotiating for his diaries and personal papers. The rest is research and writers-historians-brain damage. Frankly, I've worked on Biographies of perhaps 10 different Generals. This is the first one that I liked as a man and as a historical figure. Frankly this guy just stands taller than most. Frankly this guy is a better man than I am and I recognize the difference.

I am not a sycophant (i've been doing this kind of thing too long for that nonsense) but I am pleased to get to know him and introduce you to him. In the abstract, he is a much respected and cherished friend.
With regards;
ED OBRIEN

Gunner C

When you publish it, let us know.  I want a copy for my library, signed by the author of course.  ;D

Smithsonia

Gunner;
You are too kind. It will be awhile as the research is at least another 16 months work... but that said, of course I will.

With regards;
ED OBRIEN

Smithsonia

I was at the Air Force Academy yesterday for the Colorado WG encampment. It is good to be among friends and cadets. I spoke about Jack Curry for about an hour. I know that I had a good time. I trust that the cadets weren't too bored.

On a bit of a melancholy note: I went to the graves of Carl Spaatz and Curtis LeMay. The Air Force Academy Cemetery is smallish and contains plaques and remains only. There is a Kiosk to look up names and a map. However once on the field there are no signs. Where is area 3? Where is plot 26? There is no clue.

The cemetery is a well tended. It is a sunny lush green field with flat markings for the grave sites. The Mountains casts beauty, in the shadow of Pikes Peak, where Katherine Bates wrote America the Beautiful in 1904. The place is tranquil enough but grass had grown over the name Spaatz... you could easily read  ... arl S... but needed to clear the rest by hand to find the name and read the full inscription. The corners were matted with last weeks or last months browned cuttings filled the wallow that held the plaque. I dusted it off by hand... I stood and saluted the General and his wife.

How fleeting glory is. How common we will are all be one day. How fast memories will fade. How fast? Fast enough to have disappointed my time with Gen. Spaatz.

I was asked by a woman coming to visit the site of her father. She asked to whom my salute was intended. For an old General, Carl Spaatz, I said. She asked "Who?" Again, I said General Carl Spaatz. She shrugged her shoulders as she didn't recognize his name and silently she moved on.

How fleeting glory is. How common we will all become. 
With regards;
ED OBRIEN

BTCS1*

C/2d Lt. B. Garelick, CAP

Smithsonia

The first anniversary of the Curry thread past without my notice. I was working on our Colorado Wing Sar Air Force Eval. It went well and we got an Excellent Grade.

I will be back on Curry Patrol Soon. I am headed to California in a few weeks and hope to see Shield Curry DeKalb. By the way, she very much appreciates the esteem and honorable attention her most noble father has been treated in this thread. More soon.
With regards;
ED OBRIEN

Gunner C

Quote from: Smithsonia on July 28, 2009, 02:59:19 PM
The first anniversary of the Curry thread past without my notice. I was working on our Colorado Wing Sar Air Force Eval. It went well and we got an Excellent Grade.

I will be back on Curry Patrol Soon. I am headed to California in a few weeks and hope to see Shield Curry DeKalb. By the way, she very much appreciates the esteem and honorable attention her most noble father has been treated in this thread. More soon.

Great!  I enjoy the narrative.  Heroes shouldn't fade away (apologies to MacArther).

Smithsonia

Thanks Gunner;
Jack Curry is worth the time and scholarship. For whatever reason he purged his files before he died. His files were purged again when his daughter Joan passed away. It is obvious to me that there is much about Curry in the Hap Arnold, Charles Lindbergh, Carl Spaatz, and Ira Eakers Files. So those are the place to look next. When the Air Force Academy Opens up for fall semester I will have access to the Arnold files and many of the Spaatz files. However most of the rest of the material resides Maxwell or in various Washington DC libraries. It'll take time to gather and review that material.

One interesting new thing that I've come across is How he may have influenced the vision of the 5 sided building that we now call the Pentagon. He knew a great deal about how forts and bases through history were constructed. This could be new and exciting... or just lost to history. I won't know until I run it down.

Why we ever let the Maj General fade into obscurity is beyond me.
With regards;
ED OBRIEN

Smithsonia

I am happy to have received this newspaper article regarding John Curry (Nov. 13 1940). At this point Jack is taking over the Northwest District of the Army Air Service. He will consolidate this command from various sources and move it to Denver in mid '41. Then titled 2nd Air Force, it will divide again into 2nd Air Force (at Peterson AFB) and Technical and Training Command (At Lowry) during WW2. Basically Jack Curry is running the Western Continental Operations and Training Command. Over the next 4 years the Air Service/Army Air Corps will grow from 7,500 total people in 1938 to over 2.5 million by the end of WW2.
http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=L30SAAAAIBAJ&sjid=RfUDAAAAIBAJ&pg=6487,2762841&dq=john-curry
With regards;
ED OBRIEN

Smithsonia

Here's another Maj. Gen. John F. Curry article regarding his appointment, consolidation, and moving of the NW Air Service District to 2nd Air Force just before WW2. Jack Curry reviewing bivouacked troops!

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=nTYTAAAAIBAJ&sjid=V_UDAAAAIBAJ&pg=7060,4185769&dq=john-curry+air

I thank my anonymous yet highly regarded source with deep appreciation for the article above.
With regards;
ED OBRIEN

pcamblin

Regarding your January 03, 2009, 09:35:16 PM post "Rediscovering Maj. Gen. John F. Curry", the link to a photo of Curry & entourage, and your request for help in verifying whether the officer on the right is Frederick Irving Eglin;  I'd be thrilled if Eglin is the officer pictured in such esteemed company, but...
1) The officer appears just shorter than the 6'3" of Lindbergh standing next to him, while Eglin was something on the order of 5'7" (and had to sit on his parachute for a better view out of the cockpit);
2) The officer is wearing glasses, while Eglin's official photo taken sometime toward the end of his life show him without glasses at http://www.dtic.mil/cgi-bin/GetTRDoc?AD=ADA421981&Location=U2&doc=GetTRDoc.pdf 
3) The face in the official photo of Eglin is not a "striking" resemblence to the officer.
4) Eglin was athletically in built
5) Eglin was about 45 years old (1891 to Jan 1, 1937), which is comparable with the apparent age of the officer.

Let me know your findings, and thanks!

Smithsonia

Pcamblin;
I was given his (Fred Eglins) name (as it was not attached to the photo itself) by Mrs. Curry-DeKalb. She certainly could have been mistaken and so I will try again when I see her in a few months. I thank you for the diligence. Partially, this is the reason that I have posted the various material. I want the best fact checking - I can afford.

With regards;
ED OBRIEN
With regards;
ED OBRIEN

Smithsonia

THIS IS A SAVE THE DATE NOTIFICATION:
The 2nd Annual Maj. Gen. John F. Curry Awards and Salute Ceremony.

Date/Time: Saturday, Dec. 5th 2009 (9:30hrs)
Invitees: Curry Cadets and Parents, Wing and Region Staff, and All Officers and Members.

On this date, in this place, and at this time we will celebrate CAP Day, the Biography of Maj. Gen. JF Curry, and introduce our future leaders (Curry Cadets) to the Wing's Command Staff and one of CAPs greatest leaders "Jack" Curry.

If you'd like to view a You Tube Video of last year's ceremony, click here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtLVB618U98

Location Directions: Ft. Logan is on the SouthWest Side of Denver. Follow Interstate 25 to exit, Hampden Avenue (Highway 285). Turn (west) heading toward the mountains to Sheridan Boulevard. Turn left (south) on Sheridan Boulevard. Cemetery is located two blocks south of Hampden Avenue on the left (east) side of Sheridan Boulevard. At the main West Entrance we will have officer or cadet with instructions to Pavilion A. Parking is limited. Please be on time. We don't want to leave people in the weather any longer than is necessary.

We'll meet at Pavilion A. Please arrive at least 20 minutes early for sign in, so we can begin on time. The Ceremony will last no more than 90 minutes. This ceremony will be conducted rain, snow, or shine. We will dress for the weather. More information in follow up emails.

We look forward to introducing our cadets to our Major-General. This is a save the date notice only. We will follow up with full details in one month.

Edward Phelka, CAP Col. Colorado Wing Commander
William Aceves, CAP LTC. Group One Commander.
Ed O'Brien, CAP Capt. Curry Award and Salute, Project Officer

We are Limited to 100 participants in total by the Cemetery Staff. SO please RSVP - ASAP. We will have follow-up emails every 30 days or so.

Any questions? Please contact project officer Capt. Ed O'Brien at 303-871-9005 or email at: ed@e-obrien.com

PS - Along with the Curry Salute -- On Armistice Day/Armed Forces Day and Wreaths Across America there soon will be numerous chances to participate in honoring American Heroes. Please take in at least one of these events.
With regards;
ED OBRIEN

Smithsonia

HEADLINE: Jack Curry founder of the Air Force Thunderbirds!!!

Well not exactly... however, I was reading the Air University Biography of Gen Hansel and his early days at Maxwell.

The Air Corps was constantly looking for ways to promote itself
with the public because with public support came a better
chance for a larger slice of the shrinking military budget. Lt
Col John F. Curry, the commandant of the Air Corps Tactical
School, noted in 1933 that the Navy had a trio of acrobatic
pilots who could thrill the public with their aerial exploits, and
he felt that the Air Corps needed such a team of its own. The
Air Corps acrobatic team would represent Army aviation at
public functions, develop tactics, and demonstrate them for
students at ACTS. Captain Chennault, the Air Corps's most
vocal advocate of pursuit aviation, was naturally selected to
command the team.31
Chennault considered himself to be the best pilot in the Air
Corps. He was an outspoken advocate of military aviation in
general, pursuit aviation in particular, and himself above all.
According to Hansell, "Chennault figured there were only two
kinds of people—those who agreed with him and those who
didn't."32 Chennault selected his team as if he were audition-
ing for a drama production. As his biographer, Martha Byrd,
explained, "Chennault chose his partners by the simple expe-
dient of challenging any comer to stay on his wing
through half an hour of head-spinning aerobatics."33 He
selected the three men he concluded were good enough to
fly with him: Sgt William C. "Billy" McDonald, Sgt John H.
"Luke" Williamson, and Lt Haywood "Possum" Hansell.
(Both McDonald and Williamson had reserve commissions
but served on active duty as enlisted men in order to fly.)34
The team put in many hours of practice and put on per-
formances at Maxwell Field two or three times a week.
With regards;
ED OBRIEN

Smithsonia

More Air University Press material. 1st Aero Squadrons - WW1. "US Air Service of the Great War."

Lt. Col. John Curry was shot down on Oct. 26th while dropping propaganda leaflets over the Germans. He was back in the air by Nov. 3rd when he bagged his balloon. Good thing he was so quick to return to action, as the War ended on Nov. 11th.

His intelligence, knowledge, and character are also praised as a staff officer to Gen. Lahm.
With regards;
ED OBRIEN

Smithsonia

Regarding Curry in WW1.
Lt. Col. JF Curry and his pilot 1st LT. LL Smart were forced down in no-mans land on Oct 26th. These men were flying a DeHavilland DH-4. Here are some rather unsavory facts about that plane taken for Air Force.mil
The Great War
During WWI, the Air Service used the DH-4 primarily for day bombing, observation and artillery spotting. The first American-built DH-4 arrived in France in May 1918, and the 135th Aero Squadron flew the first DH-4 combat mission in early August. By war's end, 1,213 DH-4s had been delivered to France.

Unfortunately, the early DH-4s had drawbacks, including the fuel system. The pressurized gas tank had a tendency to explode and a rubber fuel line under the exhaust manifold caused some fires. This led to the title "The Flaming Coffin," even though only eight of the 33 DH-4s lost in combat by the United States burned as they fell. Furthermore, the location of the gas tank between the pilot and observer limited communication and could crush the pilot in an accident.

Perhaps the most notable mission flown in the DH-4 was the brave attempt by 1st Lt. Harold Goettler and 2nd Lt. Erwin Bleckley of the 50th Aero Squadron to find and assist the famed "Lost Battalion" on Oct. 6, 1918. During a resupply mission to this surrounded unit, their DH-4 was shot down. Both men were posthumously awarded the Medal of Honor.
With regards;
ED OBRIEN

Smithsonia

Regarding the JF Curry/LL Smart force down in no-mans land during WW1. I talked to Shelia Curry DeKalb about this moment in the General's Biography. She stated, "all the Daddy ever said about this incident was that a forward position was manned by two North Carolina men with heavy southern accents.

Yelling at each other over various battlefield noise the men in the trench thought I was a German and shot at us. Lucky for me the bullets were errant.

We moved nearly half a mile north and east before we found truly friendly forces and were able to cross into our line unmolested. We were covered in mud and tough to identify as Americans."

According to the General and as related to Mrs. DeKalb.. this was the most serious incident to occur to JF Curry during WW1. He finished this story with the quip, "I've always been grateful that not every hillbilly can shoot straight."
With regards;
ED OBRIEN

Gunner C

Quote from: Smithsonia on September 24, 2009, 07:27:55 PM
He finished this story with the quip, "I've always been grateful that not every hillbilly can shoot straight."
I've heard that moonshine messes with your eyesight. To them, Gen Curry probably sounded like he had a foreign accent.  ;D Great story!