Rediscovering Maj. Gen. John F. Curry

Started by Smithsonia, July 21, 2008, 02:19:20 PM

Smithsonia

I am happy to report that I met with Sheila Curry DeKalb on Wednesday 10-14. As always she was lovely snd in good spirits. We talked for about an hour after which she donated her father's WW1 footlocker and WW2 Wings and set of stars to the Civil Air Patrol.

We'll get the chance to show these items around the Colorado Wing for a few months before they are shipped off to the Curator for archiving and placement in an appropriate exhibit. These items are in my possession now and I am grateful that the Curry Family has been both so generous and so interested in this project. All things are going well as good faith, goodwill, and good fortune work toward preservation of our Patrol history.
With regards;
ED OBRIEN

Gunner C

Way to go, Ed!  These things would be lost were it not for you.

Smithsonia

Good Quotes of the Good General and many details both new and restated from the Early Aviators Website a
John F. Curry bio:
Major General John F. Curry

In late 1941, with the disastrous air attack on Pearl harbor, there was significant interest by civilian pilots to assist the U.S. Military. However in Washington, D.C., those in authority scoffed at the idea that a group of non-military aviators could provide any such assistance. Fortunately, sound logic prevailed and Civil Air Patrol was formed as a part of the nation's home defense needs.

Maj. Gen. John Francis Curry, an Army Air Corps officer, was selected as the first national commander. Curry learned to fly in time to accompany General "Blackjack" Pershing's expedition to Mexico. Later, he served as Chief of Staff of the Air Service of the Second Army in France. He destroyed a German observation balloon, but was shot down himself by anti-aircraft fire. He escaped capture. When selected to head CAP, he was the nation's only acting general in command of a civilian army. Serving from December 1941 to March 1942, Gen. Curry provided the vision and direction for this unique venture.

Founded as a volunteer organization, CAP conducted patrols over coastal waters in search of enemy submarines and naval activity. CAP was by no means a government-sponsored plan to provide free flight training. Each individual had to pay for their own flying time. Part of the reason for the founding of CAP was to keep aviation from being put aside entirely during the war. As Gen. Curry stated, "Without such a plan [as CAP], there might be no private aviation for the duration of the war; with such a plan, there is a chance that private flying might continue and develop." Under Curry's guidance, wings were formed in every state. He help mobilize 100,000 private pilots for non-combatant service; thus freeing military pilots for wartime duty. There was no discrimination because of one's gender. Individual ability, experience and past records were the real criteria for selection. Again, in Curry's words, "There must be no doubt in the minds of our gallant women fliers that they are needed and, in my opinion, indispensable to the full success of the CAP organization. A great part of the progress made in organizing civilian aviation under Civil Air Patrol has been due to the volunteer help given by women flyers...." Although he only served a few months as national Commander, Maj. Gen. Curry's organizational skills were influential in determining the future growth of this new resource. Originally, CAP was given the opportunity to prove itself for a 90-day test period. However, thanks to the vision of John F. Curry, and others like him, CAP remained throughout the war as an effective demonstration of volunteer spirit.

After the end of World War II, CAP continued to serve the nation in performance of dangerous missions. The Colorado Wing, Civil Air patrol, and Colorado State Director of Aeronautics, headed now by retired Maj. Gen. John F. Curry, conducted light plane surveys through the rugged Colorado Rockies. Where more than 50 peaks have an elevation of greater than 14,000 feet, scores of flying individuals lost their lives due to unpredictable winds. As a result of Curry's direction, maps of safe-flying routes were developed by Colorado CAP personnel.

From Leadership: 2000 And Beyond, Vol. I, Civil Air Patrol, Maxwell AFB, Alabama

With regards;
ED OBRIEN

Smithsonia

Curry Quote from the aerial gunnery graduation at Lowry Field in 1943.

"My friend George Kenney shot down Herman Goering in World War One. Of course, although wounded Goering lived. To the graduates of this {aerial gunnery} course, I hope you shoot better than General Kenney."
With regards;
ED OBRIEN

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Smithsonia on November 17, 2009, 02:18:37 PM
Curry Quote from the aerial gunnery graduation at Lowry Field in 1943.

"My friend George Kenney shot down Herman Goering in World War One. Of course, although wounded Goering lived. To the graduates of this {aerial gunnery} course, I hope you shoot better than General Kenney."

That's is a great quote.

Cecil DP

For those who don't know, George Kenney was MacArthur's Air Force Commander in the SWPOA and first Commander of SAC.
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

Smithsonia

Cecil DP;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Kenney
General George Kenney is covered earlier in this thread. He and Curry were close enough to tease each other ruthlessly for 30 years... I have some letters to prove it. The letters are full of chided to scurrilous comments like, "Kenny is campaigning to take all the smartest staff officers and leave the dumbest for the rest of us. Capt. Cane is now assigned to George. And so, I am left with a staff who can't spell." 

For this audience it is probably important to know. George Kenney was the first commander of SAC, not Curtis LeMay. Kenney also commanded Air University. He also worked for Jack Curry at Maxwell as a Senior instructor of the Tactical Air Command.

Can you imagine the conversations, the debates, the arguments and ideas that these men fostered and endured? The arguments of the mid-30s that built the mighty Air Force of WW2. Robert Olds, George Kenney, Claire Chennault, Heywood Hansell, (just to name a few) all worked for Jack Curry at the same magic moment at Maxwell.

Among the officers that included Curry, Eakers, Hansell, Arnold, Spaatz, Olds, Ent, Chennault and others that are mentioned in this thread - Kenney was considered the man with the biggest brain.

There are precious few of the private letters of Jack Curry left. He purged his files at the end of his life. I am chasing down what I can from the correspondence of men mentioned above. What I do have indicates that Jack Curry's friends were close, abiding, and a sustenance his entire life. Jack Curry was a good friend. Jack Curry had good friends.
With regards;
ED OBRIEN

Orville_third

This is fascinating. Is there any chance someone could arrange for a posthumous award from the President or Congress for Major General Curry?

(One out of context bit on the USAFA Cemetary. There is only one Medal of Honor winner at the USAFA Cemetary- Master Sergeant William J. Crawford, USA. (And, no, he wasn't in the Army Air Corps) He earned the medal after being captured in WWII. After retiring, he wound up becoming employed at the USAFA. A number of staff members and cadets didn't know of his service until long after they had met him. He was captured at the time he was awarded the MoH, and was unable to have received his reward in person. In 1984, President Reagan presented him a MoH at the Academy Graduation.)
Captain Orville Eastland, CAP
Squadron Historian
Public Affairs Officer
Greenville Composite Squadron
SC Wing

Smithsonia

Orville;
The Story of Bill Crawford's life is fascinating. Here is his MoH citation.
http://www.cmohs.org/recipient-detail/2695/crawford-william-j.php

Bill Crawford lived many years in anonymity as a simple janitor/handy man at the Air Force Academy. As I remember it was almost an accident that presented this humble man with the opportunity to come out of the shadows, be recognized finally as a hero, and live among the Air Force Cadets applauded for both his courage and humility.

Bill Crawford is from Pueblo Colorado which is now known as the City of Heroes (aka City of Medal of Honor Recipients) for the many native sons that have received the Medal of Honor. There is a large sign/plaque at the Pueblo Airport stating this proclamation. Which by the way, is an airport that was built up in WW2 as a Aux Air Corps base by none other that Jack Curry. Jack Curry also decommissioned (actually it was a multi-year transition) acting as District Technical And Training Commander in 1946 and quite interestingly received that Airport back into Civilian use on behalf of the City of Pueblo and State of Colorado when Jack Curry was head of the state's Dept of Aeronautics a few years later.

That said, I am not in a position to introduce a Presidential Proclamation or a Congressional one either.
Once the full research and documentation is pulled together (something that I intend to continue) I think there are greater honors due Jack Curry.

This year -- We are giving the family the Civil Air Patrol WW2 Service Medal... which we don't think that Gen. Curry himself ever received, at least it is not mentioned on his record. This item was suggested and put together by Colorado Group One Commander LTC. Bill Aceves. Besides that item, the family will also receive a most handsome Crystal Presentation Piece, designed and crafted by CapTalker and CAP Historian Maj. Jim Shaw. I'll report on this presentation along with the Maj. Gen. John F. Curry Annual Salute and Awards Ceremony after the Dec. 5th event. I am the project officer for this event. I plan on performing this event every year as long as I live. OR, as long as command allows me the privilege.
With regards;
ED OBRIEN

Cecil DP

The Air Force Personnel Center  has just released the records of all airmen who served during and prior to WW II, to the National Archives. I hope this will provide a treasure trove to those interested in learning more of Hap Arnold, Bill Curry, etc. 
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

Smithsonia

Cecil DP; Thanks and that's good to know. I don't think there is much left to find on Spaatz, Arnold, Eakers, or Kenney... but I'll betcha Jack Curry has some things which have gone fallow -- I'll do some tilling soon.
With regards;
ED OBRIEN

Smithsonia

It will be a bitter and cold in Denver day for this year's Curry Salute and Awards Ceremony at Ft. Logan on Saturday Dec. 5th. Likely it'll be about 20 degrees and a bit of a breeze. We'll share the misery together at the good General's Grave. Likely, we'd all appreciate having the Six feet of constant temperature earth between us and the elements. Jack Curry will perhaps be warmer than the 5 Colonels, one General, and various Junior Grade Officers that will attend this years event with me.

We'll be hearing Taps, of course. But, it won't be the elongated and grief stricken version of a man taken before his time. The taps that's to be played at Jack Curry's grave this year will have an urgent purposeful surge and done slightly bright. For while we play it for a man no longer in our midst, our bugler is calling CAP members to Duty. Taps and Reveille combined - We've got work to do I think this should be a proper reminder. I trust that will warm Jack Curry and the rest of us too.

When asked about the Civil Air Patrol, Jack Curry once stated: "They find the lost and the dead, so neither are lost no more."
A bright taps and quotes like that will brace us this Saturday. I am looking forward to it.
With regards;
ED OBRIEN

Gunner C

Ed

When I got my Curry Award in 1967, I knew that he was our 1st National Commander, but that was about it.  Have you produced anything that would be helpful to these young cadets to understand the significance of this military aviation pioneer? Frankly, there was much made of Billy Mitchel, Amelia Earhart, and Tooey Spaatz, and rightly so.  But, I think I would have honored that purple ribbon with the "C" on it a bit more if I would have known all of his accomplishments.

Smithsonia

Gunner C
It was never my purpose to raise Jack Curry to hero status. It happened by way of research. He lived a life, which once discovered, raised itself. When you read the words and deeds of JF Curry, well I suppose you can make up your own mind about Jack, can't you. I will continue on the search for him and his days until I find nothing new and then I will write a long piece - perhaps a book on General Jack.

When projects are purpose built - as in having a deadline on the treatise, report, or mini-biography - then you wind up building it to that purpose. You edit your research down and whittle on the facts to fit a certain pamphlet size, chapter of a book, or short biography.

Frankly, Jack Curry is larger than that. I've always felt that CAP deserves to know General Curry better. This research project has provided the knowledge. If I was now to write the piece you asked about - I'd stunt the research. Perhaps this frustrates readers but the Masterwork on the General isn't ready. I trust that the work yet to be done - the research that I know is out there to be discovered - will be worth the wait.

I've been asked by several people to write about General Curry is an edited form. I've resisted their urgings - until the research is complete. That said, I've laid out the research here, it is for CAP's purposes. Anyone is welcome to the project. Right now, the research notes  (that are this thread) are the best I've got. Thanks for the interest.
With regards;
ED OBRIEN

James Shaw

Here is the piece I did for the Curry presentation. Thanks Ed for all you have done to bring this great man out of the dark.
Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - SER-SO
USCGA:2019 - BC-TDI/National Safety Team
SGAUS: 2017 - MEMS Academy State Director (Iowa)

Smithsonia

Jim;
Thank you for the wonderful gift of the Presentation Crystal for the Curry Family. Your craftsmanship has made this more than a commemoration - it has warmed the Curry Family to the center of their very dear hearts.

I'll have a full report on this years' Curry Salute and Awards Ceremony Sunday or Monday. Right now I am going through the pictures and notes.

TO our esteemed CAP Curator Maj. Jim Shaw. THANK YOU, SIR!
With regards;
ED OBRIEN

Smithsonia

News Release on the Curry Salute (Capt Scott Orr CO/WG Assistant PAO)

The Colorado Wing Salutes Maj. Gen. John F. Curry and His Family - Sat. Dec 5th, 2009

This years Maj. Gen. John F. Curry Salute and Awards Ceremony at Ft. Logan National Cemetery in Denver brought his family and the Civil Air Patrol back together.

CAP's first national commander is buried in Denver. His family is spread all over the world. However, the Colorado Wing got to meet one of his remaining Colorado relatives
Kim and Rick Callahan (Kim is the Maj. General's Grand Niece)

"The Wing historians have worked to unite the family and CAP once again," stated project officer, Capt. Ed O'Brien. "His last remaining first generation relative, his daughter Sheila Curry-DeKalb of Laguna Hills California wanted to come but is too old to travel. We were fortunate to host Kim and I must say, she is all Curry."

Capt. O'Brien continued, " This whole family is gregarious and most appealing. They love to laugh, appreciate the General as much as we do, and want to find out more about his service."

Gifts of appreciation were offered by both Wing Command Col. Ed Phelka and by former National Commander Gen. Jay Bobick.

Gen. Bobick presented what may likely be the last CAP WW2 Service Medal to the man who, "actually should've received the first of these ribbons. It is an oversight we are correcting today."

Capt. O'Brien speculated, "being that any member who served in WW2 has already proudly worn this award for years. So, this will likely be the last awarding of this most prestigious medal. Certainly the last for a former National Commander presented by a former National Commander. Today we made some history. "

Current National Commander Gen. Amy Courter sent an additional gift – a Presentation Crystal – Which Col. Phelka said is a "most handsome gift." He added for Kim's benefit, "I received my Curry Award in 1987. It was my first step in Civil Air Patrol. It is the ribbon I have worn the longest. Your family's name means a great deal to me."

Also attending were former Region and Wing Commander Col. Gary Tobey, Former Colorado Wing Commander Col. Jack Buschmann, former Wyoming Wing Commander Robert Cook, various senior and cadet members of the Wing. Taps was played by C/Lt. Sklyer Caldwell of TVCS. Capt. O'Brien was project officer and host, LTC. Sid Altum provided the prayer and Capt. George Dengler served as assistant to Capt. O'Brien. Lt. Beth Biscardi from Valkyrie and Kim Long provided the photos. Maj. Jim Shaw crafted the presentation crystal.

"It was the warmest of ceremonies on the coldest of December days," said Capt. O'Brien.

With regards;
ED OBRIEN

Smithsonia

What seems less than obvious but still quite apparent is the lines of demarcation between the various brand names of the Air Corps and "Jack" Curry.

Hap Arnold: The mercurial nature of Arnold and the relentlessness of the man seemingly strained all of his relationships. Family, friends, subordinates, and comrades suffered and were eaten up during this General's life.

As far as Curry goes, and there isn't much on this topic yet... Curry and Arnold conspired together to keep Orville Wright at arms length in 1927.

1927 was a pivotal year. Hamilton Field became Wright Field (now Wright Patterson Air Force base) and while designed as the Research and Development hub of the Air Service (soon to become the Air Corps) Orville Wright was marginalized as a "man of yesteryear" whose time had passed. The man of this hour was Charles Lindbergh with who both men had a life long relationship. In 1927, then Major John F. Curry was told to "cut the Wright Lab by half and raise the Research into Aeronautics by a factor of 100 at other institutions of higher learning and the industrial manufacturers themselves. "We need every good mind put to our problems. Not every problem put to one lab", Arnold stated in 1929.

And so to this day Langley designs for the Navy and proofs on the job through Grumman. The Air Force brings Boeing, Northrop, Consolidated, North American, Wright Curtis, Martin, Bell, Douglas, Ford, General Motors R and D Departments, and a dozen other suppliers to every issue.

Curry worked for Arnold on the General's Staff '39-'40. Curry worked to protect Arnold from the Billy Mitchell sacking of '25. It seems that Curry wasn't the first choice as the CAPs first Commander. At Arnold's insistence Curry was chosen. At Arnold's persistence Curry accepted the job. It turned out to be a good move for all concerned, particularly for CAP.

I can't know at this moment precisely what the Arnold and Curry relationship was. My thinking is that Curry was trusted at the same level
as Spaatz. However, Arnold and Curry stayed at arms length for most of the War. Curry's Technical and Training Command modified the B-29 that would be used in delivering the Hiroshima and Nagasaki nukes... that was Arnold trusting Curry. Curry would help Eakers in the Med Theater after he was sacked out of the 8th Air Force. That service indicates a high degree of trust. Curry's Technical and Training Command would build 42 major training bases in the Western US and train 2 million men... that is a very high degree of trust. Curry would solve the water injection issue with C46s and C47s so they could fly the Hump, India/Burma to China.

It seems that Curry took the assignments, did the good work, but stayed away from the Washington/Pentagon fray as best he could. After the CAP Curry was asked to stay in Washington. He decided to come back to Denver. Washington was plum but tough cramped living for his family. Curry chose Denver. He also put/proposed Olds and then Ent as 2nd Air Force Commanders. In their careers both men owed Curry much. Between the Technical and Training Command at Lowry and 2nd Air Force in Colorado Springs - the West was ruled between these three men. I think Curry saw the end of the war as the end of his career. In this, he must've made that decision around his CAP tenure.

Arnold was complex. Curry was much less so. Neither man was inscrutable. Both men were needed. That said, Arnold and Curry in the crux of WW2 had a multifarious relationship. Translate as love/hate. It was the years of close service that bonded and fused these two. Think of it as two hard working war horses in the same harness with one leading (Arnold) and the other serving without complaint but with occasional displeasure. Arnold asked much of Curry. Curry wasn't always available to lash himself closer than was needed to accomplish the work.

Next is Claire Chennault and Curry.
With regards;
ED OBRIEN

LTC Don

Quote from: Smithsonia on December 10, 2009, 01:40:40 AM
It was the years of close service that bonded and fused these two. Think of it as two hard working war horses in the same harness with one leading (Arnold) and the other serving without complaint but with occasional displeasure.

Ed,
Thanks so much for such an inspiring, and interesting read on Gen. Curry.  I started in CAP as a cadet in 1982 with the Colorado Wing, so this has been very interesting stuff for me.

I couldn't help but note the irony (if indeed it is ironic), that both of CAP's first two cadet achievements are exactly those two together, side by side, Curry and Arnold.  8)  And, even if it is true they tried to marginalize Orville, that all three form the first level foundation, Curry, Arnold, Wright of the first three cadet achievements.

I'm very interested in the relationship of Curry/Arnold with Lindbergh.  He was very anti-war early on, and actively campaigned for the US to stay out of it.  Was that a personal problem in the early days, and how did that gel later on after Pearl Harbor?

Cheers,
Donald A. Beckett, Lt Col, CAP
Commander
MER-NC-143
Gill Rob Wilson #1891

Smithsonia

LTC Don;
Lindbergh and Curry were life long friends. Regarding Lindbergh and the American First'ers anti war movement. Before the War this group was very vocal and quite popular. Don't forget our remoteness, being protected by 2 oceans allowed for American laziness in War preparation. MacArthur warned of the looming war. So did, Chennault who said that the Chinese "are engaged a war for all Pacific Nations."

On the other side were Joe Kennedy, Charles Lindbergh, and interestingly enough a very young and eventual US President, Gerald Ford. While Lindbergh was later hurt by his stance of 1937-41... he came to America's defense in all sorts of ways including solving troubles with the P-38, F4U, and B-24s... plus combat missions he personally participated in, including a couple of kills in the Pacific. IT was Lindbergh's utterances about Jews, African Americans, and some others that cost him controversy. Lindbergh was a quick man with an opinion and an attitude of self righteous that tripped him regularly.

According to my sources Lindbergh and Curry were long term friends. Curry was NOT given to excesses of the tongue. BUT, then Curry wasn't quoted with the scrutiny of Lindbergh either.

Regarding Orville Wright. Wilbur had died early. Wright defended his patents to the exclusion of much else and took his legacy so seriously that he offended many. That was the source of his enterprise from 1915-1927. Lindbergh was now (at least in '27). WW1 proved Wright was the past. Mr. Wright would become a government functionary and first Director of the CAA (now FAA) in this he accomplished much in transforming flying from a skill into an industry. That said, as of '27 his days of aviation innovation were behind him.
Here's a picture of all three: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:John_F_Curry.jpg (Jack Curry, O. Wright, C. Lindbergh)
This picture was taken just after Lindbergh returned from his solo-flight to Europe, while Curry was building Wright Field, by Wright's personal photographer, and around the time that Curry was delivering the news to Wright about the downsizing of his much promised lab at Wright Field. In his CAA service - Wright would also have use of the NACA Labs within a few years to draw his energies.

In this, I am not diminishing the Wright Brothers accomplishments - just pointing to the views of the military at that time.(1927)
With regards;
ED OBRIEN