Celebrities in CAP?

Started by JCW0312, December 09, 2007, 01:52:43 AM

raivo

Quote from: Strick on January 26, 2010, 05:48:13 PMYou did not get the new ICL from National, The Klingon sash is now authorized with the polo combo, ribbons are placed on top , badges in the center and mess dress medals on the bottom..... ;D

Can we do the Vulcan salute as well?!

CAP Member, 2000-20??
USAF Officer, 2009-2018
Recipient of a Mitchell Award Of Irrelevant Number

"No combat-ready unit has ever passed inspection. No inspection-ready unit has ever survived combat."

JoeTomasone

Quote from: raivo on January 26, 2010, 09:28:08 PM
Quote from: Strick on January 26, 2010, 05:48:13 PMYou did not get the new ICL from National, The Klingon sash is now authorized with the polo combo, ribbons are placed on top , badges in the center and mess dress medals on the bottom..... ;D

Can we do the Vulcan salute as well?!

The heck with that, can we get Troi as our CISM counselor?   

esilassy

I think I need some CISM couseling right now!!!!!!!! >:D

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: JoeTomasone on January 26, 2010, 10:27:47 PM
The heck with that, can we get Troi as our CISM counselor?

I've met her (Marina Sirtis).  She's gorgeous, and quite a fun person.

Also...she became a naturalized US citizen a couple of years ago, so she'd satisfy any citizenship requirements.

Lieutenant (which she would probably reflexively pronounce lef-tenant; I've seen bloopers of William Shatner doing so) Sirtis, your position awaits...

Seriously, though, Michael Dorn would be a more likely prospect.  The guy is an aviator to the core.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: Strick on January 26, 2010, 05:48:13 PM
Quote from: Marshalus on January 26, 2010, 04:24:02 PM
Michael Dorn would be a great spokesman for CAP. I just wonder if NHQ will allow him to wear his Klingon warrior sash with his blues?  :angel:

You did not get the new ICL from National, The Klingon sash is now authorized with the polo combo, ribbons are placed on top , badges in the center and mess dress medals on the bottom..... ;D

D'k'tagh knife authorized for ceremonial occasions; also, fresh gagh (served live) at Wing awards banquets.

Squadron commander positions to be decided by bat'leth duels.
:P :P :P :P

Semi-seriously, I've met Mike Dorn, and while he is a very nice guy, he is BIG, as in tall/muscled.  It'd be a challenge to find blues that he wouldn't burst the buttons off.

He also wouldn't have to worry about grooming requirements, as he's mostly bald now.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Orville_third

James Doohan might have been a good choice, as he was a former pilot...although those who knew his past may have asked that he hold to CAP regulations and not fly his plane on a slalom between telephone poles...
Captain Orville Eastland, CAP
Squadron Historian
Public Affairs Officer
Greenville Composite Squadron
SC Wing

Smithsonia

Orville:
I think Scotty has been beamed up to the great starship Eternity.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Doohan
With regards;
ED OBRIEN

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Gunner C

Orville_third

Yes, I was sadly aware of that. Unfortunately, I'm not sure if they had a piper or a Canadian Forces Honor Guard on hand for his burial in space. (He was a WWII veteran, went ashore at Juno Beach on D-Day and lost part of finger in the fighting around Normandy.)
Captain Orville Eastland, CAP
Squadron Historian
Public Affairs Officer
Greenville Composite Squadron
SC Wing

Gunner C

If anyone has read his biography, you'll see that he was a heck of a guy.  But alas, he's not even qualified for an XX-000 unit.  (Just keeping it on topic)  :)

BuckeyeDEJ

Quote from: sdcapmx on January 18, 2010, 10:36:06 PM
While en route to Alabama with a CAP AC I stopped in Springfield, MO for fuel.  I went into the small FBO and noticed a familiar face in the back of the FBO talking to some people.  He walked towards me to get to his AC and I shook his hand and had a short conversation.  He was very cordial and friendly.  It was NASCAR driver Carl Edwards.  I then went to the flight planning room to plan my next leg and he walked by and stuck his head in and asked if I were flying the CAP aircraft.  He said that he was a cadet in CAP and told me what a great organization we had.  He had just got married the day before and he and his new bride were flying to Florida in the jet that he piloted.  There was a lot of weather ahead of me and he told me how easy the jets were to fly as weather was seldom a factor as it is in a small AC.  I was very impressed with how friendly he was.

As some of you may remember, CAP sponsored a Busch series car a few years ago piloted by one Ashton Lewis. Obviously it didn't pay great dividends, and in fact seemed to launch more questions into where the money came from. But if we got some PSAs and some goodwill from Mr. Edwards, that'd be tremendous.

Freddie Prinze Jr. was a CAP cadet? Hmmm. Wonder if he could be enticed back in? Even if he helped cover up a crime last week on "24"....

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

Cecil DP

Quote from: BuckeyeDEJ on March 05, 2010, 05:00:36 AM
Quote from: sdcapmx on January 18, 2010, 10:36:06 PM
While en route to Alabama with a CAP AC I stopped in Springfield, MO for fuel.  I went into the small FBO and noticed a familiar face in the back of the FBO talking to some people.  He walked towards me to get to his AC and I shook his hand and had a short conversation.  He was very cordial and friendly.  It was NASCAR driver Carl Edwards.  I then went to the flight planning room to plan my next leg and he walked by and stuck his head in and asked if I were flying the CAP aircraft.  He said that he was a cadet in CAP and told me what a great organization we had.  He had just got married the day before and he and his new bride were flying to Florida in the jet that he piloted.  There was a lot of weather ahead of me and he told me how easy the jets were to fly as weather was seldom a factor as it is in a small AC.  I was very impressed with how friendly he was.

As some of you may remember, CAP sponsored a Busch series car a few years ago piloted by one Ashton Lewis. Obviously it didn't pay great dividends, and in fact seemed to launch more questions into where the money came from. But if we got some PSAs and some goodwill from Mr. Edwards, that'd be tremendous.

I'd rather get the $6,000,000 back
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

ColonelJack

Quote from: Smithsonia on January 19, 2010, 03:00:42 AM
OK now you guys have lowered the bar for celebrity qualifications down to my level.
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0639525/

I've acted as a part time gig for 30 years and have about 30 movie and network TV credits. Plus I have thousands of Voice Credits and a bunch of writing credits.
I even made TV guide a couple of times. (In the day - that was a big deal for an actor) AND, I've got some regional Emmys too. That said, I've always been a working guy and never a celebrity. OK I've signed maybe 10 autographs in my life, but that's it.

Ed,

I have quite a few credits myself -- regional stage work, though.  I am appearing in a student film this spring, but not too many people are going to see it.

But I also appear on television five nights a week in the west Georgia area ... I'm a news anchorman.  I guess that makes me at least a *local* celebrity.

And you have me beat on autographs.  I've been asked seven times ... seven times in 35 years ... sheesh.

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

FW

Quote from: Cecil DP on March 05, 2010, 01:08:16 PM

I'd rather get the $6,000,000 back.

Actually, it was more like $2,000,000. But, who's counting?  >:D

Spike

Quote from: ColonelJack on March 05, 2010, 02:16:24 PM
Quote from: Smithsonia on January 19, 2010, 03:00:42 AM
OK now you guys have lowered the bar for celebrity qualifications down to my level.
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0639525/

I've acted as a part time gig for 30 years and have about 30 movie and network TV credits. Plus I have thousands of Voice Credits and a bunch of writing credits.
I even made TV guide a couple of times. (In the day - that was a big deal for an actor) AND, I've got some regional Emmys too. That said, I've always been a working guy and never a celebrity. OK I've signed maybe 10 autographs in my life, but that's it.

Ed,

I have quite a few credits myself -- regional stage work, though.  I am appearing in a student film this spring, but not too many people are going to see it.

But I also appear on television five nights a week in the west Georgia area ... I'm a news anchorman.  I guess that makes me at least a *local* celebrity.

And you have me beat on autographs.  I've been asked seven times ... seven times in 35 years ... sheesh.

Jack

You both have me beat.  I payed for school doing voiceovers.  I did the voice work for most of the "Army of One" campaign, as well as MTV work.  Never onscreen except in a movie called "a league of their own" when I can be seen in two scenes (as an extra!).  Very  young Indiana Hoosier back then!   

rdmcii

J D Cannon may have been a member. I remember that in one episode of McCloud he had to 'go out and fly with the CAP'  it seem to be such a un necessary explaination for his absence that someone was putting in a plug for the organization

EMT-83

Quote from: Spike on March 05, 2010, 07:47:08 PMYou both have me beat.  I payed for school doing voiceovers.  I did the voice work for most of the "Army of One" campaign, as well as MTV work.  Never onscreen except in a movie called "a league of their own" when I can be seen in two scenes (as an extra!).  Very  young Indiana Hoosier back then! 
There's no crying in baseball!

NIN

Quote from: BTCS1* on January 26, 2010, 03:58:50 AM
Quote from: CyBorg on January 18, 2010, 03:04:13 PM
Another one, except for the fact that he's British (OK, Air Training Corps then), would be Bruce Dickinson, lead singer for heavy metal band Iron Maiden.  He flies part-time for British Airways, flies his band on tours and had something to do with flying RAF personnel either into or out of Afghanistan.
I could only dream or Bruce Dickinson joining CAP! While totaly unlikely... It would be awesome, as I am a huge Iron Maiden fan.

I missed this the first time around: You mean _the_ Bruce Dickinson?  Only if the uniform regs allow gold plated diapers...<GRIN>

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Smithsonia

With regards;
ED OBRIEN