Main Menu

Charter Numbers

Started by RangerConlin, July 01, 2022, 12:04:10 AM

RangerConlin

To any resident historian - when did we move from the old five digit charter numbers to the current format?  And did the old numbers have a significant like incorporating region and wing?

AdAstra

Charter numbers changed in November 2002. The first two digits of the previous five-digit charter number identified the wing, but not the region.
Charles Wiest

baronet68

They were "somewhat" alphabetical:

01xxx = Alabama
02xxx = Arizona
etc.

However, if I recall correctly, National Capital Wing was included alphabetically in the initial list but the territories (at the time) of Puerto Rico, Hawaii, and Alaska were at the end of the list.

Region charters were in the 91xxx to 98xxx range and NHQ charters were 99xxx.

However, I'm shooting from the hip here recalling stuff from decades ago so I'm sure I have something mixed up. 

One thing I know for sure is that WAWG was 46xxx and aircraft and vehicles in our wing still use 46 as the leading identifier.

Michael Moore, Lt Col, CAP
National Recruiting & Retention Manager

GroundHawg

Kentucky was 15 which was correct alphabetically in 1941 before Alaska and Hawaii, and we were also the 15th State admitted to the Union so that's a neat little fact.

Because I am huge nerd, I had a CAP vanity tag with my old squadron number on it for years

PHall

Quote from: baronet68 on July 01, 2022, 02:26:35 AMThey were "somewhat" alphabetical:

01xxx = Alabama
02xxx = Arizona
etc.

However, if I recall correctly, National Capital Wing was included alphabetically in the initial list but the territories (at the time) of Puerto Rico, Hawaii, and Alaska were at the end of the list.

Region charters were in the 91xxx to 98xxx range and NHQ charters were 99xxx.

However, I'm shooting from the hip here recalling stuff from decades ago so I'm sure I have something mixed up. 

One thing I know for sure is that WAWG was 46xxx and aircraft and vehicles in our wing still use 46 as the leading identifier.

Yep, vehicle numbers still use the old two number prefix from the "old" charter numbers as does our aircraft call signs.

SD0044

Still on old charter numbers;;;

I well remember that SD Wing had the prefix of 77.   
This I remember well as my Cadet # was "C77-1754 Sir" ... grin.

We also have a sqdn guidon with the "77" at the top and the unit # of "031" below the prop and triangle center insignia.     How things have changed over the years.