Last minute Mother's Day gift...

Started by Eclipse, May 07, 2021, 04:07:29 PM

Eclipse

...for the mom who has everything...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/124714054340

A steal at twice the price!

"That Others May Zoom"

Shuman 14

Not to turn this into a "Uniform Post" but that is what should be adopted as the Corporate Uniform for CAP.

A modern version of TW's in a modern poly/cotton blend. Easy for wash and wear and with AF Blue highlights like the Flight Cap or Wheel Cap, Blue AF Belt, etc.

Separate and distinct from AF Style uniforms but martial enough for a USAF Auxiliary.
Joseph J. Clune
Lieutenant Colonel, Military Police

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present

Eclipse

$13k's a little steep for the average cadet.

"That Others May Zoom"

Holding Pattern

Quote from: shuman14 on May 07, 2021, 04:33:06 PMNot to turn this into a "Uniform Post" but

Too late...

That said, any uniform change NEEDS to be something that is produced in enough volume where the items are source-able across the nation. Our current system does a decent job of that.

Spam

Quote from: Holding Pattern on May 07, 2021, 04:45:35 PM
Quote from: shuman14 on May 07, 2021, 04:33:06 PMNot to turn this into a "Uniform Post" but

Too late...

That said, any uniform change NEEDS to be something that is produced in enough volume where the items are source-able across the nation. Our current system does a decent job of that.

"Gray trousers", check/concur. Shop smart - shop S-Mart (aisle 3 next to the boom sticks).

"Cold weather ABU gear", nonconcur. we're going to hit a wall this winter with woodland camo parkas/field jackets no longer authorized and parents wondering why cadets are can't access affordable outer wear.

R/s
Spam

NIN

Quote from: Spam on May 07, 2021, 05:22:13 PM"Gray trousers", check/concur. Shop smart - shop S-Mart (aisle 3 next to the boom sticks).

"Cold weather ABU gear", nonconcur. we're going to hit a wall this winter with woodland camo parkas/field jackets no longer authorized and parents wondering why cadets are can't access affordable outer wear.

Ash, get back to housewares.

As for ABU cold wx gear: Ebay is loaded with ABU outerwear. I scored Goretex jacket & trousers for $42. You'd have a hard time finding a M65 field jacket for that. (Admittedly, Ebay cannot and will not be a sustainable supply chain source).

(EDIT: don't get me started about the ABU softshell I found that arrived from Italy reeking of cigarette smoke.  Real hit or miss there. And for anybody looking at the ABU rain parkas that can be found for cheap: you can button a field-jacket liner into them and the work pretty good. But, a huge caveat: they run LONG. Like almost M1952 "fishtail" parka long. I have a large and it reaches down to almost my knees in a comical fashion. I probably should have found a medium)

The Air Guard has given us a bunch of Goretex with the piles of uniforms we've gotten (not enough to equip the wing, though).  They have more, its just a matter of getting them.

For cold/dry, fleeces work "OK" (not perfect, but for "from the car to the armory" its fine).

I managed to score a USCG dark blue goretex (with zip-in fleece liner!) for "not super cheap, but not terrible either") price to go with my Blue BDUs. So #winning.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Jester

As much as I dig the old khakis, I sweat too much for that.

Spam

NIN,

I'm glad you've found (sort of) sizes that work for your wallet and size/shape. May I suggest that at this point in time, your position may hold true, but I am trying to suggest that CAP Inc. needs to for once take the long view, and consider the volunteer base over the next decade or so as parents of 13 year olds try to reliably source uniforms for winter encampments, SAREXs, and just weekly meetings. Having a complete line of wear (winter and summer) reliably and continuously in production for the full range of sizes at an affordable price point for teens is what we need across the corporation.

With respect, I just don't see flea markets (online or in person) and one time, end of active duty use, drop offs of ABUs ad meeting what Pattern suggested we need:  "something that is produced in enough volume where the items are source-able across the nation. "

It is an oddity that you can find uniforms like the one Eclipse has posted here (actual vintage uniforms, in new reproduction runs!) available on places like "What Cost Victory", where you can buy complete new production WW2, Tropical Worsted, Pinks and Greens, and Rhodesian Army uniforms (not kidding). But you soon won't be able to get out sized ABU winter wear, Italian tobacco smell or not.

V/r
Spam

NIN

Quote from: Spam on May 07, 2021, 07:24:31 PMI'm glad you've found (sort of) sizes that work for your wallet and size/shape. May I suggest that at this point in time, your position may hold true, but I am trying to suggest that CAP Inc. needs to for once take the long view, and consider the volunteer base over the next decade or so as parents of 13 year olds try to reliably source uniforms for winter encampments, SAREXs, and just weekly meetings. Having a complete line of wear (winter and summer) reliably and continuously in production for the full range of sizes at an affordable price point for teens is what we need across the corporation.

With respect, I just don't see flea markets (online or in person) and one time, end of active duty use, drop offs of ABUs ad meeting what Pattern suggested we need:  "something that is produced in enough volume where the items are source-able across the nation. "

Completely agree with you here.  Ebay/Facebook Marketplace/Flea Markets/Surplus Stores/the largess of the ANG aren't a sustainable model.  I've lucked out and found some good pieces and parts for a good price (stinky cigarette smoke smelling thing notwithstanding), but that can't last long.

Nor is our current source: Offshore, lower-quality ABUs that cost the same currently as mil-spec ABUs once cost thru AAFES.

Slightly off-topic: I've heard/seen some pushback on free uniforms from units. "We don't have any place to keep them" and "We don't want to keep track of them."  Or my all time favorite "Oh, they're expendable, so we don't even bother to get them back if someone leaves CAP." I'm like "Say wut?"

A set of ABUs (shirt/trouser) if purchased new from AAFES or, now, Vanguard cost about $80.  Imagine being able to loan your members an $80 asset? Pretty cool, right?  Nice member benefit.  But not at least trying to get them back for reissue? Why not just write every departing member an $80 check from the squadron coffers?

Maybe its the frustrated logistics guy in me (I'm not a logistics guy, but I briefly got detailed to unit supply on active duty and I learned quite a bit about how the property books work, etc).  Sure, things are "expendable," but that doesn't equate to "trashable."  Expendable means its it an asset that's not serialized and can wear out quickly and easily (tear, etc) vs being repairable (key word: asset). Just because, say, flight suits or kevlar helmets were expendable didn't mean that the unit didn't have to keep track of them.  They had z flight suits on the property book: x were on people's clothing records (and thus they were accountable for them) and hanging in their wall lockers and y were on the shelf in unit supply.  z=x+y. Leave the unit, turn your stuff in so we can re-issue it to another guy.  Destroy a flight suit? OK, its expendable. Turn it in and the unit will DX it to get a new one.

But just writing off serviceable uniforms (which are still an asset) because you don't want to keep track of them seems to me to be wasteful.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

etodd

QuoteSlightly off-topic: I've heard/seen some pushback on free uniforms from units.

I can see it being different for some Squadrons in areas where parents don't let their kids wear "hand me downs".

Some will be glad to get them, others wouldn't be caught dead accepting or wearing them.
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

SarDragon

Quote from: Eclipse on May 07, 2021, 04:07:29 PM...for the mom who has everything...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/124714054340

A steal at twice the price!

The price has been corrected to $129.00. Still way too much.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret